• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

local weed growing discussions

No way to tell. Some plants show early, some don't. In my last batch of 12 plants I was able to pull 2 males and ID 6 females in 6" pots, but the other 4 were in 3G pots and 2 weeks into 12/12 before they started showing. 1 female 3 males. Cannabis uses light period as a flowing stimulus. Growing them young in a shorter day might show things earlier than they would for me running them under 18/6 light period.
My gut tells me they'll be stunted and root bound by the time sex shows. Maybe June/July? Your input backs that up.
 
I've been buying feminized seeds these last three years, so far they've all been females.

I'd just re-pot to the next size up in your situation. One gallon is fine.

I'm liking the idea of using cloth pots for the final vegging and budding. From what I've gathered they are less stressful on the root system, i.e. heat and air flow.

Regarding potting soil, I'm using Kelloggs Patio Plus - Organic from Home Despot with an organic fertilizer and worm castings. Be careful with fertilizing, a good rule of thumb is to use half the recommended dosage.

My two sisters ran a gardening business here in soCal for years and they swore by Sunset Magazine's Western Garden Book for basic information. It was their 'bible' so to speak.
Yeah I've been active/worked in gardening my entire life. Got an extensive Cal. native garden. Only grew cannabis once when I was a teenager so I defer to you active gardeners.

I would re-pot but given what I got that would be a lot. So either I pull a few of the most vigorous and cross my fingers or I mass plant in the veggie box or a bit of both.

The cloth pots are great as plant don't get as root bound. Definitely going that way for what's not in the ground/box. Question is; do I buy or do I make my own out of geotex?
 
Last edited:
He doesn't have the one gallons is what he's saying. He's talking about moving them directly to here.
And there (free from constraint) is where the most growth is. Unfortunately there is where I've also had continual powdery mildew and aphid attack on veggies.
 
Yeah I've been active/worked in gardening my entire life. Got an extensive Cal. native garden. Only grew cannabis once when I was a teenager so I defer to you active gardeners.

I would re-pot but given what I got that would be a lot. So either I pull a few of the most vigorous and cross my fingers or I mass plant in the veggie box or a bit of both.

The cloth pots are great as plant don't get as root bound. Definitely going that way for what's not in the ground/box. Question is; do I buy or do I make my own out of geotex?

Too bad you aren't closer. I have a stack of those 1 gal. plastic pots.

If you do use the veggie box maybe partitions will keep the entanglement to a minimum.
 
Too bad you aren't closer. I have a stack of those 1 gal. plastic pots.
Oh yeah, got plenty of audio crap in trade. I'll find some, just need to start looking. Biggest thing is buying more soil but I guess 20 1gals will make 4 5gals; which I'll need.
If you do use the veggie box maybe partitions will keep the entanglement to a minimum.
My thought too. 6"x10" cardboard slides.
 
And there (free from constraint) is where the most growth is. Unfortunately there is where I've also had continual powdery mildew and aphid attack on veggies.
You don't want to be smoking powdery mildew. good way to get a lung infection.

Had to look up aphids, but I had good luck eradicating spider mites using Murphy's Oil Soap sprays (not something to do in flower) and Quoddy Blend Lobster Compost mixed in the pot. Seems like it would work as well for aphids. Something similar may be available local for much cheaper since Quoddy would be shipped cross country.
You want some kind of seafood compost for this. Lobster, crab, shrimp shells provide chitin that the plants detect and react by secreting an enzyme that inhibits exoskeleton production.
 
Last edited:
You don't want to be smoking powdery mildew. good way to get a lung infection.
Yeah no bueno, especially now.
Had to look up aphids, but I had good luck eradicating spider mites using Murphy's Oil Soap sprays (not something to do in flower) and Quoddy Blend Lobster Compost mixed in the pot. Seems like it would work as well for aphids. Something similar may be available local for much cheaper since Quoddy would be shipped cross country.
You want some kind of seafood compost for this. Lobster, crab, shrimp shells provide chitin that the plants detect and react by secreting an enzyme that inhibits exoskeleton production.
Think folks will do something similar with canola oil mixed with dish soap. Aphids are a bitch. Wish my lady bugs would step up for a front line defense.

Marine life amendment is a good one. I confess to not maintaining my veggie box soil health although I'm back to trying/thinking smarter.
 
Still doing the store bought MMJ here, but hoping to get a few plants started now that it's legal here. Couple of the neighbors have already offered good starts.

DEEP THOUGHTS
If cannabis were proven to cure Covid19 ... would the feds approve it's use? ;-}

(I just thought of that while puffing a pipe of this new stuff labelled GG4. Got a good kick to it, and apparently brings out the ghost of Jack Handy lurking in the cerebral closet ... we now return control of your television set ... end line. End trans.
 
Still doing the store bought MMJ here, but hoping to get a few plants started now that it's legal here. Couple of the neighbors have already offered good starts.
Congrats to your state for a step towards rationality. A few plants should make for a happier garden.
 
Looks like Chocolate Thai was a contributor to both Chocolate Haze and Chocolate Trip, which is one of my favorite strains. Some of the best flavors ever have come out of my home breeds with it. Funny thing is the other strain, Cannalope, has Original Haze crossed in. My other favorite. I'm actually doing a first run of the cross I made out of the two. I have some pollen from my last full male Chocolate Trip in the fridge I'm going to do a broad spread over all the females to try and get some 3/4 Chocolate Trip plants because all I have left after the great spider mite infestation is 50%. Hoping the pollen is still viable.

Are you running all feminized strains? Your two strains would give you some very nice seeds. There are ways to get just a few seeds as opposed to fully seeding the whole plant.
 
Back
Top Bottom