• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz Model 8 serial number

Register to hide this ad
It's possible, and iirc earlier than mine.
Post some pix of the thing and it's underside innards please.
 
Yours looks like it's been tarted up a bit with new connector jax and terminals. I'd be curious what's been done underneath.
 
Yours looks like it's been tarted up a bit with new connector jax and terminals. I'd be curious what's been done underneath.
Outside of who owned it I dont know much about its provenance...I acquired it from a friend who's Dad was the owner...I may have a service receipt somewhere from the 80s that will temm me more
 
Generally, if they take and hold bias settings, they are probably ok if all else is properly working. Only check bias when idling, never ever while playing.
 
It appears this is what has been modified
 

Attachments

  • 20190904_023430.jpg
    20190904_023430.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190904_023421.jpg
    20190904_023421.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 50
Doesn't mention speaker terminal strip, which may have been replaced with a barrier type terminal strip.
 
It appears this is what has been modified
Doesn't mention speaker terminal strip, which may have been replaced with a barrier type terminal strip.
Do you have any preference in tubes...is there much variation between the different brands?
 
It appears this is what has been modified

Do you have any preference in tubes...is there much variation between the different brands?
I haven't done much tubeswapping, though I did like the Sylvania 6CA7 KT beam bulbs in the Dyna UL amps. The Electro Harmonix 6CA7 is supposed to be an as-good equivalent and my 8 runs those.
 
So back to my original question...am I reading the serial number right and this is 14th one made?
 
I'm pretty sure that your model 8 is the 14'th numbered.. Off course The Marantz company have had earlier units in pre-production, but they may have been unnumbered testunits - and not meant for commercial sale.

The model 8 unit #1014 is the 14'th in the commercial production scheme, that includes. warranty - insurance - theft ...etc.

best
regards
freddy
 
Back
Top Bottom