• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Newish Rock Music

Great thread, first time I saw it...
Lots of bands I like in this thread, Those Darlings, My Morning Jacket, Dum Dum Girls, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, The Distillers, and a few I've seen in person, like Waxahatche, Metric and Sleater-Kinny.
And a lot of bands I need to look into.

I am over 60, and most of my contemporaries are "Classic Rock Only" types, and I just can't get them to accept there are all kinds of outstanding modern rock bands. Nothing wrong with classic rock, but I just can't limit myself.

gggvan, you should check out The Screaming Females, if you haven't already. My favorite band currently working.
 
hey thanks Bob T, I am 53 and in the same boat regarding folks that seem content with the classic rock thing. I've been an avid listener since I was 8, never stopped. There is so much good music out there now! But you have to go get it, there's no friendly, hip dj bringing it to you.

I've head of the Screaming Females, didn't come across any songs I liked yet.
 
hey thanks Bob T, I am 53 and in the same boat regarding folks that seem content with the classic rock thing. I've been an avid listener since I was 8, never stopped. There is so much good music out there now! But you have to go get it, there's no friendly, hip dj bringing it to you.
Pandora has help me find a lot of new music. Turns out, I am a sucker for Riot Grrrl punk bands. I also go the other way in time, liking Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, the Dorseys, Andrews Sisters, Sinatra, etc...

I've head of the Screaming Females, didn't come across any songs I liked yet.
That's cool...they are not for everyone. I will say they are one of those bands that seeing them in person changes everything, although their studio work has improved considerable over their last couple albums. I think their latest, Rose Mountain, is outstanding.

I will leave you with a video of them I shot at a show in Chicago, back in 2013.
 
yea, there are some good riot grrl, i like. stay tuned here i'll probably post some. you like les butcherettes? riot grrl influenced.search this thread, i posted one from them.
 
Here's another from her latest lp, 3/4 solid songs on this on so far, think I'll listen to the whole lp later.

 
So I recently found out thst this band is no more... I'm still digesting their last lp. They have a nice touch, intricate without being self important...lead singer has a strong and interesting voice.

 
Back
Top Bottom