• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old EPI speakers

buckeye56

Active Member
Hi. I am getting a warbly sound from one of my speakers and not sure why. There is zero distortion (that I can discern) when I have the radio on, but when I play LPs or CDs I hear it often. Any ideas? Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
You're going to need to be a little more specific about what "warbly" means. Distortion? Volume changes? Muffled sound? Which receiver are you using? Which speakers?

GeeDeeEmm
 
Swap them (right speaker to left, left speaker to right). If the 'warbly' moves with the same speaker to it's new position then it's probably the speaker. But if the 'warbly' stays on the same channel regardless of which speaker, it's probably the receiver/amp.
 
It has been decades since I last set up vinyl, but I seem to recall a phenomanon called "wow"; the motor rotation is feeding back thru receiver. Be sure to isolate turntable and CD with rubber mats so it is not picked up.
 
It has been decades since I last set up vinyl, but I seem to recall a phenomanon called "wow"; the motor rotation is feeding back thru receiver. Be sure to isolate turntable and CD with rubber mats so it is not picked up.

Yep. "Wow and Flutter." I think both of those would show up thru both speakers, though, not just one. But those do bring back memories.

GeeDeeEmm
 
It's possible you have a dirty source selector switch in your receiver that is distorting the sound in one channel for only those inputs. What receiver do you have and has it ever been cleaned or serviced?
 
Back
Top Bottom