• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo Files For Bankruptcy

$23 million in liabilities is a shocking small number in an age when $1 billion corporation is small-cap on the market.
 
Onk.png
 
It's a testament to the change in how listening to music has changed. The people who used to be the target for Onkyo gear are listening using their phone and headphones. The people who buy 2 channel gear and pay thousands for copper wire, aren't interested in the Onkyo brand.
 
My first real power amp/receiver was a cheap stereo Onkyo unit (this was in the early 2010s). Honestly, it kind of sucked. Even in RCA input mode it would pick up weird interference from surrounding electronics. I got rid of it within a month or two for that reason and never had troubles with any other receiver or power amp in the same location.
 
Better still, did you read the caption below it?

"Onkyo speakers were popular back when many consumers listened to music on stereo systems."

Imagine that!

Lol :) not sure if that statement was ever true. Their electronics were popular but I don’t recall their speakers being a thing other than one or two models.

Still, I liked their two channel stuff. It was a good value but they don’t really have a place in the market anymore.
 
too bad. got my first onkyo tx 3000 by trading it for a Schwinn orange krate. sold it some time later. couldn't afford good spkrs; it kept blowing them. just the AKG headphones. boy, did we throw some parties with that sucker....but the front glass kept cracking every time I'd bring back home after the parties. now have a tx 7000...neighbor's moved out soon after cranking it to house music in response to their incessantly barking dog. lol. :wtf:
 

Attachments

  • onkyo-tx-7000-7447.jpg
    onkyo-tx-7000-7447.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Lol :) not sure if that statement was ever true. Their electronics were popular but I don’t recall their speakers being a thing other than one or two models.

Still, I liked their two channel stuff. It was a good value but they don’t really have a place in the market anymore.


Me either. Can someone post a link to the great Onkyo speakers?
I suppose there might have been one or two models, seems like some companies known for their electronics did produce a small number of "good" speakers.
 
Last edited:
Me either. Can someone post a link to the great Onkyo speakers?
I suppose there might have ben one or two models, seems like some companies known for their electronics did produce a small number of "good" speakers.

Onkyo definitely made their own speakers (as opposed to outsourcing), but the only one that comes to mind is the Model 25. Truly worthwhile, I used to sell lots of them back in the day as an alternative to KLH Model 5s....or was it the 6?
 
on the bay, someone has a pair n comparing them to yamaha ns 1000's n asking nearly 1700...lol! interesting spkrs, though.
 

Attachments

  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 42
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 35
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    161 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 37
Just saw this on my phone - was going to post on AK, but everyone else is way ahead of me :) ... Have owned Onkyo equipment in the past, and was always impressed ... never had their speakers...
 
The only Onkyo product I owned was an Integra multi-disc DVD/CD player, which went tits-up while I lived in Carlsbad, NM, a town not easy to find gear in...
 
i read more about this and the way i understand it is that onkyo will continue to be built by sharp and still use the onkyo name.

it kind of gives me a headache trying to sort it all out
 
I had a av home theatre receiver and it was absolutely junk in little time. HDMI board failure and honestly real crappy 2 channel sound even.... Had a Denon after which was much better, and eventually a Marantz AV which was actually very decent!
 
Lol :) not sure if that statement was ever true. Their electronics were popular but I don’t recall their speakers being a thing other than one or two models.

Still, I liked their two channel stuff. It was a good value but they don’t really have a place in the market anymore.
I was under the impression that they sold a lot of speakers in Japan and were also an OEM. I don't think they were even in the "Hi end" of audio but were solidly in the upper reaches of consumer audio.
 
Back
Top Bottom