• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo Files For Bankruptcy

Lol :) not sure if that statement was ever true. Their electronics were popular but I don’t recall their speakers being a thing other than one or two models.
I wasn't paying attention to the speaker part!

"...back when many consumers listened to music on stereo systems."
 
Onkyo definitely made their own speakers (as opposed to outsourcing), but the only one that comes to mind is the Model 25. Truly worthwhile, I used to sell lots of them back in the day as an alternative to KLH Model 5s....or was it the 6?
Second that on the 25s. Alternative to KLH 5, AR 3a, a whole bunch of others.
 
Last edited:
It's a testament to the change in how listening to music has changed. The people who used to be the target for Onkyo gear are listening using their phone and headphones. The people who buy 2 channel gear and pay thousands for copper wire, aren't interested in the Onkyo brand.

Because they make nothing up market. Anything Onkyo made everybody else makes, or makes it better.

With very few exceptions Onkyo has been BPC for decades.
 
I had a av home theatre receiver and it was absolutely junk in little time. HDMI board failure and honestly real crappy 2 channel sound even.... Had a Denon after which was much better, and eventually a Marantz AV which was actually very decent!

Check out Denon's more recent stuff.
 
I too own several pieces of Onkyo gear. Own a P-3200 preamp, a couple of digital tuners and a double cassette deck. I probably have $60-70 invested in all of this. The preamp is a nice one that works and sounds nice, the digital tuners are very competent AM-FM tuners and the double cassette deck is surprisingly good for a two head double cassette deck. I have 3 other double cassette decks that I bought cheap($10.00ea)to FF & RW my tapes to save wear and tear on my good 3 head decks. The Onkyo surprised me having good playback and decent recording ability. Will I use it to record more tapes - no, will I use it to play tapes - not likely unless something happens to 1 or more of my other decks, but it is nice to know I have a competent back up. Onkyo used to build good equipment and it is sad to see them go away. The name will probably bought up and used by a company to sell their junk electronics, as this has happened to other great names ub the electronics industry.
 
I too own several pieces of Onkyo gear. Own a P-3200 preamp, a couple of digital tuners and a double cassette deck. I probably have $60-70 invested in all of this. The preamp is a nice one that works and sounds nice, the digital tuners are very competent AM-FM tuners and the double cassette deck is surprisingly good for a two head double cassette deck. I have 3 other double cassette decks that I bought cheap($10.00ea)to FF & RW my tapes to save wear and tear on my good 3 head decks. The Onkyo surprised me having good playback and decent recording ability. Will I use it to record more tapes - no, will I use it to play tapes - not likely unless something happens to 1 or more of my other decks, but it is nice to know I have a competent back up. Onkyo used to build good equipment and it is sad to see them go away. The name will probably bought up and used by a company to sell their junk electronics, as this has happened to other great names ub the electronics industry.

sharp is going to continue using the name. as i understand it, sharp has been making onkyo for a while now.

i've got a p-3150v preamp that i picked up cheap. rebuilt the power supply and recapped it using ukl thru the entire signal path and it is a nice sounding unit. i need to rotate it back in, it's been a few months
 
I too own several pieces of Onkyo gear. Own a P-3200 preamp, a couple of digital tuners and a double cassette deck. I probably have $60-70 invested in all of this.

I have less than that in the Totem Mani 2's, and Denon 980R combined.

Now I did spend $180 on an Onkyo DX C380 CDP 26 years ago..........Damn nice unit. Only thing I ever purchased by Onkyo. That includes the myriad of Onkyo stuff I could have bought in thrifts. Including the 380, and 390.
There is a big well made Onkyo Sub sitting in the local thrift now.

I am so glad I bought almost nothing new, and thrifted everything. No buyers remorse at all. That Onkyo CDP, and a purse **** Kenwood CD Changer were the only things I bought new.

Anything I would buy would be modern form the 00's up if I was going to spend $$$$'s.
 
on the bay, someone has a pair n comparing them to yamaha ns 1000's n asking nearly 1700...lol! interesting spkrs, though.

I guess Onkyo marketed those to people who listened while laying on the floor.

Or the dumbass who supplied the images didn't know which end goes up.
 
Looks like a lot of "traditional" audio makers are dying along with the baby-boomers who bought their products. :(
 
yeah. when my marantz ud-5005 died i opened it up, it was a cheap plastic transport, a power supply and a computer. i was pretty sickened by it.
If it was like mine, the freaking belt was so loose I think they put the wrong size on it. I put a smaller belt on it and drawer started working again.
When I bought the ud5005, I also bought a matching SR-4023. Neither are anything special, nothing good to say about them at all. And the software on the UD5005 is horrible, it barely works most of the time.
 
Brace yourself dinosaurs!
The home audio hobby is dying as we die off.
Days of old are being replaced with days of new, think this has ever happened before?
New consumers are voting with their dollars.
Honestly, did you think audio component stereo systems would be resurrected like the new “retro” car designs?
Nostalgia only lasts as long as our memories, and mine is fading…

When my children grow old and pine about their past, it will be just as valid, just as colored, just as feeble and futile as our rear-view mirrors.

Products come and go.
Industries come and go.

Music lasts. That’s what matters. Make music.
 
If it was like mine, the freaking belt was so loose I think they put the wrong size on it. I put a smaller belt on it and drawer started working again.
When I bought the ud5005, I also bought a matching SR-4023. Neither are anything special, nothing good to say about them at all. And the software on the UD5005 is horrible, it barely works most of the time.
the boot time was soooo slow, the menu loading was slow, the time for it to start playing was slow and the time to reload a menu after stopping playback took longer than the initial boot and time to load a menu combined. it wasn't a belt with mine, it just wouldn't even turn on one day.
 
Too bad, but the mass market is cruel to those who ignore its wants.

I’ve had a big rosewood vinyl cased TX-5000 for decades on my bench. It sounds great, has enough power and the pre/main jacks are great when testing pre and power amps. The digital tuner display went south years ago, but the analogue still works,

It’s a good looking keeper.
 
Last edited:
have an early 2000's av receiver by ONKYO...it really has a lot of power...gets really hot too. there's a chip in it with a tendency to act up; pulling out the queen's hair dryer and heating it up brings it back to life. :eek:
the smd caps on the av board had to b changed, as well.
 
Last edited:
Onkyo. back in the 1970s was a rival to Sansui I had always wanted one finally I got an Onkyo AVR. The first one DC’ed my cherished Wharfedale W35’s. It took me several years to find replacements for the Woofers it destroyed. Crutchfield promptly replaced it. After 2 years it’s HDMI board died but it was recalled and fixed, as noted this unit ran very hot. after a year or so the HDMI board died again. That was it I went with Yamaha and have been happy ever since.
 
Last edited:
A while back, I purchased what was very likely the last cassette deck model sold new in stores, an Onkyo TA-RW255 (I know, I know, it's a dual cassette deck). I remember now, I was in a store aisle of a now defunct electronics retail chain (Fry's) amidst all the A/V receivers and there it was - one cassette deck in it's box with no others present. I had already been toying with the idea of getting another cassette deck as a backup replacement for one of my other two quite functional but somewhat aged decks. It then came to me right there - this is the end of the road for new cassette decks. I knew it would arrive at some point, but I'd been complacent and assumed cassette decks would be around somewhat longer. So then, immediately without hesitation, I grabbed that last remaining cassette deck and bought it. It is currently my mainstay for playing cassettes.

Just out of curiosity, I kept regularly checking that aisle along with other electronics aisles around wherever I happened to be. I never saw another new cassette deck, Onkyo or otherwise, on a store shelf ever again. Sometimes it makes me wonder - did I really grab the last one, at least in my area? Somehow there's a bit of satisfaction in there somewhere about that. Now, even though this cassette deck has been working very well for me and sounds pretty decent, I still haven't lost track of my ultimate goal of getting a higher grade vintage deck at some point, but it will have to check all the boxes regarding desired attributes. Meanwhile though, I'll keep on enjoying my Onkyo TA-RW255.
 
Its sad to hear. I am reasonably pleased that Integra, once a division of Onkyo, has been a standalone business since 1999.

That news to me about Integra being a independent of Onkyo makes me feel better about reading this post.
And like your experience with your Integra, my 2010 purchased wonderful sounding Integra DHC-40.2 pre/processor hasn`t missed a beat since installation.
 
Back
Top Bottom