• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega Owner's Thread

Rega RP6 Turntable

Here's a photo of my minimalist office system. I plan to make a few more minor tweaks to it but the main components are there and the synergy is very good. I'm glad I made the switch from digital to analog. Rega's RP6 with the Exact 2 is a great performer for the money.
 

Attachments

  • Simple System 1.jpg
    Simple System 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 121
I was cleaning up my really nice condition vintage P2 today and when I went to put the glass platter back onto the sub platter I noticed that it wasn't fitting properly. Looking at the bottom of the platter there seems to be a piece missing that couples the platter to the sub platter. I scoured the area and still have not been able to locate it. Not even sure what the part looks like that is missing. Can anybody help me to identify the part and point me in the right direction to find a replacement? See attached pic of where missing part should go...


I am not sure which table you have. When you say vintage I do not think of the P2 as vintage. If that is a Rega it is not from a Planar 2 or a P2. I am wondering if you have an early Planet model with the S shaped arm.

If you could take a picture of the entire plinth so we can see what may be the problem.
 
JohnMichael

Thanks for the help, but problem solved. Turns out that the little plastic adapter with the spindle on it had just been pushed too far up into the platter and I hadn't lost anything after all.

The TT was a Rega with the Acos Lustre tonearm I believe. Recently sold it to a guy in New Jersey.

Bill
 
Thanks for the help, but problem solved. Turns out that the little plastic adapter with the spindle on it had just been pushed too far up into the platter and I hadn't lost anything after all.

The TT was a Rega with the Acos Lustre tonearm I believe. Recently sold it to a guy in New Jersey.

Bill


Bill, I had never seen that generation of Rega before. I guess I need a history lesson on their original tables. Always something new or old to learn in audio.
 
Photos to follow tomorrow...when there is some light! I had to register on this site just so I could share my setup and ask some questions about future upgrades.

:)

I first encountered Rega turntables back in the late '90's when I was asked to photograph a Planar 3 for a local hi-fi shop. I was smitten and decided I would own one someday. Fast forward a decade or so and I found myself picking up a used P3 on eBay. It came with a Nagaoka cartridge (a 100 or 110, can't recall) IIRC and a counterweight upgrade of some sort. Maybe someone here can tell me which one once I post some photos!

I had the RB300 tonearm re-wired with the Incognito kit...and when auditioning the result decided that the Nagaoka cart had to go. I ended up choosing a Benz Mico MC Silver and that is what remains on the tonearm to this day.

I also added the Origin Live VTA adjuster but honestly don't fuss with it ever. Some nice folks at SSC sent me some prototype "feet" to demo...and those are still on the turntable as well. I'd actually like to put the Rega feet back on to see if the "improvements" I heard where purely psychosomatic but my dog ate them a few years back and they are unavailable for testing.

:saywhat:

Just ordered the white drive belt (I've never replaced mine!) and a Michell clamp. A new GT subplatter is on the short list of future upgrades, along with the Rega 24v motor upgrade. That GT delrin platter also looks pretty good! The TT PSU looks nice but that will probably be one of the last upgrades I would buy.

I was seriously thinking of selling this deck and getting a VPI Scout...but I'm attached to it and hopefully with these upgrades I can get this Rega P3 to where I want it to be. I'd love to put a nicer cart on it...but am not sure it would be worthwhile. Was considering a Benz Glider 2. Thoughts? I am using a highly modified Acurus P10 as a phono stage (chunkier rectifier diodes, external power supply, etc).

Will post up some pics tomorrow of the Planar 3 that stole my heart...and the P3 that I currently own.
 
Last edited:
Photos to follow tomorrow...when there is some light! I had to register on this site just so I could share my setup and ask some questions about future upgrades.

:)

I first encountered Rega turntables back in the late '90's when I was asked to photograph a Planar 3 for a local hi-fi shop. I was smitten and decided I would own one someday. Fast forward a decade or so and I found myself picking up a used P3 on eBay. It came with a Nagaoka cartridge (a 100 or 110, can't recall) IIRC and a counterweight upgrade of some sort. Maybe someone here can tell me which one once I post some photos!

I had the RB300 tonearm re-wired with the Incognito kit...and when auditioning the result decided that the Nagaoka cart had to go. I ended up choosing a Benz Mico MC Silver and that is what remains on the tonearm to this day.

I also added the Origin Live VTA adjuster but honestly don't fuss with it ever. Some nice folks at SSC sent me some prototype "feet" to demo...and those are still on the turntable as well. I'd actually like to put the Rega feet back on to see if the "improvements" I heard where purely psychosomatic but my dog ate them a few years back and they are unavailable for testing.

:saywhat:

Just ordered the white drive belt (I've never replaced mine!) and a Michell clamp. A new GT subplatter is on the short list of future upgrades, along with the Rega 24v motor upgrade. That GT delrin platter also looks pretty good! The TT PSU looks nice but that will probably be one of the last upgrades I would buy.

I was seriously thinking of selling this deck and getting a VPI Scout...but I'm attached to it and hopefully with these upgrades I can get this Rega P3 to where I want it to be. I'd love to put a nicer cart on it...but am not sure it would be worthwhile. Was considering a Benz Glider 2. Thoughts? I am using a highly modified Acurus P10 as a phono stage (chunkier rectifier diodes, external power supply, etc).

Will post up some pics tomorrow of the Planar 3 that stole my heart...and the P3 that I currently own.

Welcome to AK!
 
...I was seriously thinking of selling this deck and getting a VPI Scout...but I'm attached to it and hopefully with these upgrades I can get this Rega P3 to where I want it to be. I'd love to put a nicer cart on it...but am not sure it would be worthwhile. Was considering a Benz Glider 2. Thoughts? I am using a highly modified Acurus P10 as a phono stage (chunkier rectifier diodes, external power supply, etc).

Will post up some pics tomorrow of the Planar 3 that stole my heart...and the P3 that I currently own.

I put a wood Benz on my P5 and don't regret it a bit. Best cartridge move I ever made.
 
Photos to follow tomorrow...when there is some light! I had to register on this site just so I could share my setup and ask some questions about future upgrades.

:)

I first encountered Rega turntables back in the late '90's when I was asked to photograph a Planar 3 for a local hi-fi shop. I was smitten and decided I would own one someday. Fast forward a decade or so and I found myself picking up a used P3 on eBay. It came with a Nagaoka cartridge (a 100 or 110, can't recall) IIRC and a counterweight upgrade of some sort. Maybe someone here can tell me which one once I post some photos!

I had the RB300 tonearm re-wired with the Incognito kit...and when auditioning the result decided that the Nagaoka cart had to go. I ended up choosing a Benz Mico MC Silver and that is what remains on the tonearm to this day.

I also added the Origin Live VTA adjuster but honestly don't fuss with it ever. Some nice folks at SSC sent me some prototype "feet" to demo...and those are still on the turntable as well. I'd actually like to put the Rega feet back on to see if the "improvements" I heard where purely psychosomatic but my dog ate them a few years back and they are unavailable for testing.

:saywhat:

Just ordered the white drive belt (I've never replaced mine!) and a Michell clamp. A new GT subplatter is on the short list of future upgrades, along with the Rega 24v motor upgrade. That GT delrin platter also looks pretty good! The TT PSU looks nice but that will probably be one of the last upgrades I would buy.

I was seriously thinking of selling this deck and getting a VPI Scout...but I'm attached to it and hopefully with these upgrades I can get this Rega P3 to where I want it to be. I'd love to put a nicer cart on it...but am not sure it would be worthwhile. Was considering a Benz Glider 2. Thoughts? I am using a highly modified Acurus P10 as a phono stage (chunkier rectifier diodes, external power supply, etc).

Will post up some pics tomorrow of the Planar 3 that stole my heart...and the P3 that I currently own.

What a great first post. Welcome to the AK family! I can't wait to see the pictures.
 
Rega Aria phono pre amp coming soon!

From Paul Darwin of Rega on PFM

"the Aria phono stage will be available in a few weeks. It is housed in the Brio, Apollo, Dac sized box and will be MM and MC with various loading options for different MC options, projected price is c£800.

I am hoping to have one at the Bristol Show end of February."
 
welcome me to the club!

I recently sold my 1200 (plug for Barter Town!) with KAB upgrades to try something else, and I subsequently purchased Bob_in_OKC's P5 (he's since upgraded, to a p9, I think). It's stock save for the GT subplatter.

So, currently running the Elys that came with it from Bob_in_OKC...

trying to figure out what to do, cart-wise.

I have a DL160 which needs a repair/retip. I am thinking about sending it to Soundsmith for an upgrade. Also wondering if it's worth it, or should i just get something else...

what would you do?

* Get the DL160 retipped? if so, which "level" of retip would be worthy with the p5 / rb700? will i need spacers?

* Sell the DL160 and the Elys and get something else? Has to be an MM or HOMC, as I don't currently have an MC phono stage, and am trying to avoid it, budget-wise. I like the idea of maybe getting an Exact(2) - for the Rega ease-of-use. Good idea? How about compared to the 160?

* what else? probably talking in the $300 or so range.

p5 -> sony str-gx80es -> ar3a

anyway, it's a fun problem to solve. looking forward to suggestions.
 
Anyone know what the circuit board attached to an old planar 2 motor consists of?
I have a premotech motor and a 300 arm and am getting a DIY itch.
 
My 2 Rega pieces

Kinda funny that I have a Rega arm, and a Rega table....but they're not together.
I first bought a 251 arm for my Thorens TD160. I got a great deal on it and I had wanted to try a Rega arm on that table. I think the combo has worked out really well:

attachment.php


Not long ago, I picked up a Planar 2 with an Audioquest PT6 arm. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with that one, too:

attachment.php


Right now it's as I got it for the most part. I did add some dynamat to the stock resin sublatter as a "stopgap" til I can upgrade to a machined one. I'm currently debating all the choices but I'm leaning towards the Michael Lim option.
It came with a glass platter and I'm currently using a deerhide mat from marcmorin. The sound is really, really nice. My CJ preamp seems to like it a lot. :thmbsp:
 
Bought this new on "Record store day". :banana:
Compared to my Thorens and Technics, it just seems more musical.
 

Attachments

  • 100_1241 (800x600) (800x600).jpg
    100_1241 (800x600) (800x600).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_1242 (800x600).jpg
    100_1242 (800x600).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_1243 (600x800).jpg
    100_1243 (600x800).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 82
Nice and thanks for sharing! I love my RP1 and my new Clearaudio cart is making me love it even more!
 
Does anyone here have an extra 2mm shim for a planar 3 / RB300? If not, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks!
 
Does anyone here have an extra 2mm shim for a planar 3 / RB300? If not, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks!

If you have a local dealer they should have one. Otherwise you can try Music Direct. If still none you should email their US distributor, The Sound Organisation.
 
Speaking of Rega owners I just added the RP6 in lovely white to family. Been playing it all day. Great deck!
 
Hi There,
I had a Planar 2 which I purchased in 1990 until very recently.
My work had been due me a fair chunk of cash for about 18 Months and with it I built my self a modded P3-24.
Here she is
DSCF2115_zps395605d1.jpg

DSCF2112_zps04cecad3.jpg

DSCF2175_zps641e0a11.jpg

DSCF2152_zps0a96ca21.jpg

I have since given the old Planar 2 to a friend of my son's who wanted a decent deck and that i know will look after her.
He's currently going through his granddad's records and is giving me first refusal on any he doesn't want.
This is her
DSCF2108_zps28340208.jpg

She's gone to a good home.

The new deck sounds absolutely fantastic.

Cheers,
Alistair
 
Photos to follow tomorrow...when there is some light! I had to register on this site just so I could share my setup and ask some questions about future upgrades.

:)

I first encountered Rega turntables back in the late '90's when I was asked to photograph a Planar 3 for a local hi-fi shop. I was smitten and decided I would own one someday. Fast forward a decade or so and I found myself picking up a used P3 on eBay. It came with a Nagaoka cartridge (a 100 or 110, can't recall) IIRC and a counterweight upgrade of some sort. Maybe someone here can tell me which one once I post some photos!

I had the RB300 tonearm re-wired with the Incognito kit...and when auditioning the result decided that the Nagaoka cart had to go. I ended up choosing a Benz Mico MC Silver and that is what remains on the tonearm to this day.

I also added the Origin Live VTA adjuster but honestly don't fuss with it ever. Some nice folks at SSC sent me some prototype "feet" to demo...and those are still on the turntable as well. I'd actually like to put the Rega feet back on to see if the "improvements" I heard where purely psychosomatic but my dog ate them a few years back and they are unavailable for testing.

:saywhat:

Just ordered the white drive belt (I've never replaced mine!) and a Michell clamp. A new GT subplatter is on the short list of future upgrades, along with the Rega 24v motor upgrade. That GT delrin platter also looks pretty good! The TT PSU looks nice but that will probably be one of the last upgrades I would buy.

I was seriously thinking of selling this deck and getting a VPI Scout...but I'm attached to it and hopefully with these upgrades I can get this Rega P3 to where I want it to be. I'd love to put a nicer cart on it...but am not sure it would be worthwhile. Was considering a Benz Glider 2. Thoughts? I am using a highly modified Acurus P10 as a phono stage (chunkier rectifier diodes, external power supply, etc).

Will post up some pics tomorrow of the Planar 3 that stole my heart...and the P3 that I currently own.

Welcome! The Dyna 10x5 and Denon DL-301mk2 plays very well with these tables.

Cheers, Plastico
 
Back
Top Bottom