• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us the first record you ever owned.

Register to hide this ad
I couldnt possibly tell you..So many thrift purchases that it all melds together. I could however tell you the first one I bought that was new. Tom Waits, Night Hawks at the Diner. Good stuff.

And, welcome to AK.
 
First record ever as I recall (and I can't trust my memory 100%): 45 rpm single = Hanky Panky - Tommy James and the Shondells / First LP = The Mamas & The Papas first release given to me by my parents who had already turned it into a beater. My first purchase LP was: A beatles album, but I can't remember which one now...darn it!
 
Besides book'n'record sets and stuff like that, I remember getting the following around 1969-71, when I was 6 or 7:

* several Monkees albums and singles (hand-me-downs from older brothers who had moved on to acid rock, LOL)

* "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night (very popular with us second graders!)

* "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" by the Partridge Family (I soon after got the album it came from, "Sound Magazine")
 
Lynyrd_Skynyrd_-_One_More_From_The_Road_(Front).jpg
 
I still have one of the first two 45's I ever got back in 1958.
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters and Tom Dooley by The Kingston Trio.
One of my asshole brothers broke the Kingston Trio record, but I managed to save the Platters. Still plays nearly as good as new too!

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • platters.jpg
    platters.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 516
Boy, this is almost embarrassing - my first record I ever bought was a 45 of Tommy Roe singing Jam Up & Jelly Tight
 
I bought 2 the same day....mid seventies, from my first jobs paycheck.

The Band, Northern lights southern cross

J. Geils band, Hotline



I now have Love-itis, and Ophelia playing in my mind.....
 
The first records I ever walked into a store and bought with 'my own money' that I'd earned doing chores were the single Tomorrow from the film Annie and the single Nobody by Sylvia in about August of 1982 when I was barely nine years old.
 
Jimi Hendrix "Cry of Love". I'd never heard Hendrix, but a friends older brother said that Jimi was the best guitarist of all time. He was right!
 
Janis Joplin-Pearl, wore the thing out on my parents early 60's Magnavox console. I still have the record, wish I still had the console, it sounded great.
 
Beatles "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby" 45 purchased September 1966 which I still have (rough condition though). Also bought Tommy Roe's "Sweet Pea" the same day. I still have most of the 45's that I bought back in the '60s (around 65 of them), all in poor shape. First album was "The Monkees" debut.
 
Back
Top Bottom