• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the most inovative rock LP of all time?

Register to hide this ad
Yeah, not Floyd - it's a big seller because it has such mainstream appeal. You said Innovative.

I'd have to go with Frank Zappa - Freak Out [1966] :banana:

While its not my favorite of his work, the mixed media approach he used was innovative even today.
It had VERY early use of mixing doo-wop, rock, sound collages (mashups), and other styles ...

Uncle Meat is pretty out there as well ... lots of innovative studio techniques spread across that record - just play through King Kong!

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed [1967], the mixture of rock and orchestra got to be passe quickly, but it was innovative in its day. Plus, the fact its a Concept album, and the major use of the mellotron make it a Progressive essential for many people.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, not Floyd - it's a big seller because its has such mainstream appeal.

You said Innovative.

I'd have to go with Frank Zappa - Freak Out [1966] :banana:

While not my favorite of his work, the mixed media approach he used was innovative even today.
It had VERY early use of mixing doo-wop, rock, sound collages (mashups), and other styles ...

Uncle Meat is pretty out there as well ...

I don't believe popularity excludes innovation
 
I don't believe popularity excludes innovation

I can tell you are rooting for Dark Side - 3 posts in this thread already!
I own a couple copies of it (vinyl, CD, SACD and Alan Parson's DVD-A surround mix) ...
but its not the be all, end all of innovation. It owes a lot to Sgt Pepper, for instance, or The White Album (number 9?)

But Fusion was pretty darned innovative stuff, as was adding world beat rhythms to rock and pop ...
Bringing in the Jazz and R& B influence (BS&T, Chicago, P-Funk) made some major innovations in Rock (Bootsy!)
And the Southern changes a la Capricorn and Muscle Shoals moved the genre a LOT ...

maybe let some other folks comment, see what THEY think ...
 
Last edited:
You have to take into account the time period when the album was released. There were certain records that made my mouth drop open when I first heard them. Jimi Hendrix was doing things on guitar that are still considered way out there. The United States of America was experimenting with electronic sounds as an integral part of the music.

I grew up in the late 50s through the 60s and I really can't pick one LP as the most innovative. There was so much experimenting back then, mixing genres, having electrified instruments that were usually acoustic, drug influences, you name it. In just a few short years music went from Andy Williams and Dean Martin to Lothar and the Hand People, Sun Ra and Captain Beefheart. Every day was innovative.
 
Last edited:
Probably Elvis's first RCA album as albums go. Actually innovation in early Rock and Roll was more about singles than albums and the beginning of Rock is rich in innovative singles. Nothing is more innovative than initial invention.

I submit that Dark Side of the Moon is no more Rock and Roll music than Mel Torme's greatest hits is. With the difference that Torme was (IMO) a better singer, better drummer and had better material. And he could swing.
 
Last edited:
Probably Elvis's first RCA album as albums go. Actually innovation in early Rock and Roll was more about singles than albums and the beginning of Rock is rich in innovative singles. Nothing is more innovative than initial invention.

I submit that Dark Side of the Moon is no more Rock and Roll music than Mel Torme's greatest hits is. With the difference that Torme was (IMO) a better singer, better drummer and had better material. And he could swing.

The great thing about America everyone is entitled to freely express their opinion. I enjoy respect Elvis and I acknowledge his accomplishments.
 
It's really hard to name one LP. Rock operas were innovative and so was Prog & Psych. That bunch of cats down at Sun records were innovative. You could make a good case for Never Mind The Bullocks.....Sex Pistols, but that might have been de-evolution.
 
Agree there are too many good choices and nice to see Frank Zappa, Capt. Beefheart, Moody Blues and Lothar and the Hand People mentioned. Many Beatles references present, typically Sgt. Peppers and White Album. They both were tremendously impactful and innovative, but I think the Beatles most innovative album at the time of release was Revolver. To my recollection (which may be faulty) it was truly transformative and set the stage for their later work. But that is just one guy's opinion.
As far as guitar experimenting, Hendrix was certainly a mainstay, but I put forth that Buddy Guy inspired many guitarists in what can be done with guitar and with songs.
Back to the OPs question, between the 2 I would pick DSOTM. Sans Love Beach, all of ELPs albums blow me away, but DSOTM was more WOW to me.
 
Probably something from Little Richard or Link Wray... although the idea of a rock album as a unit of artistic expression was kind of avant-garde back then.
 
Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
Paul McCartney has often credited Brian Wilson's 1966 masterpiece for inspiring Sgt. Peppers.
 
You could make a good case for Never Mind The Bullocks.....Sex Pistols, but that might have been de-evolution.

De-evolution, yes. Influential but not particularly innovative IMO. I think the first three Ramones albums were even more influential and their schtick was adding heavy metal sound and relentless power drive to basic Rock and Roll. Great idea, made for one of the greatest live acts ever.
 
the pretty things ~ S.F. Sorrow

I almost went back & edited my post to include this album... now I don't have to! ;-)

Tom's comments about The Pink Floyd are typically insightful (not to mention amusing): the Floyd definitely couldn't swing. Indeed, it is written that the guitar solo in Money is in 4/4 time because poor Mr. Gilmore couldn't hack the 7/4 time signature of the song ;-)

Dark Side of the Moon is a very good album IMO - although some of that opinion is looking-back nostalgia (I would opine that is is rock 'n' roll)... but there's not a single innovative thing about it... maybe a little bit of something truly new in the original quad LP mix... but I don't think it was the first designed-for-quad rock album (was it)?
 
Back
Top Bottom