• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us the first record you ever owned.

my very first LP was grand funk's self-titled (the "red" one). me and my younger brother played the hell out of this LP....we thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.
 
The Archies.

MI0001852599.jpg
 
C.W. McAll. - "Convoy"

Have not replaced it.

Next two:

David Bowie - "Low"
Elton John - "Captain Fantastic"

When they were new releases.

Still my favourite (and I feel under appreciated) Elton John album.

All at the Hudson Bay in Fort Providence, N.W.T., Canada.
 
While I remember I bought few 45's before (some I'm ashamed to mentioned) and perhaps even LP or two influenced by my parents, the first album I knew I wanted and bought was Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon; this was Quadraphonic version with technical description of the system and it's advantages. :tresbon:

I was maybe 12-13, album was almost new and I've heard it while spending summer with my couple of years older cousin. I was listening that all the time I was there!
Talking about different music at the time! :yes: This influenced my music taste forever, made (pre-Wall) Floyd my "first love" and started my musical/audiophile journey. :music:
When I came back home, I've bought the album (I still have) and played it 'till almost worn out.
Can you imagine my surprised (terrified?) parents? :sigh:
Upon hearing clocks, cash register and rings, they told me they've must had sold me a broken record and to exchange it for a different one!

Great memories!
Cheers,
 
My Dad purchased most of my early LP's. The first 2 I actually purchased with my own coin were Bad Company/Bad Company and BTO 4 Wheel Drive. I still have them both and they aound fine. I also have the "Complete Tom Paxton" it sounds fine too... It was from Dad.
 
My first record was a 78. :) It was "Dance With Me, Henry" by Georgia Gibbs. This was a cover of Hank Ballard and the Midnighters' "Work With Me, Annie". "Annie" was too blue and my father wouldn't let me buy it so I had to settle for the cover. :sigh:

Actually, Georgia Gibbs was covering Etta James' "The Wallflower," which itself was a cover of the Midnighters' original.

d0162873_23324989.jpg
 
The earliest records I remember owning were "The Monkees" and "More of the Monkees," which were hand-me-downs from my older brothers. Those two albums totally got me hooked on music and records, and on the day I was given them, I played them over and over and over. This would have been around 1969 or '70, when I was about 6. Within two years I owned most of the Monkees' Colgems albums and 45s, which were still in print. I still love the Monkees BTW!

I also remember owning the 45 of "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night (all the kids in 2nd grade had that 45) and the Partridge Family "Sound Magazine" LP.

In those days I played my records on either a green plastic mono portable record player or on the big RCA Victor TV-radio-phono console in the living room.
 
Actually, Georgia Gibbs was covering Etta James' "The Wallflower," which itself was a cover of the Midnighters' original.

Okay, okay, so I skipped a step...... Sheesh! ;)

Maybe I should have mentioned the Abbott & Costello movie too! :)

John
 
You "Beat" Me to It!! LOL!

The earliest records I remember owning were "The Monkees" and "More of the Monkees," which were hand-me-downs from my older brothers. Those two albums totally got me hooked on music and records, and on the day I was given them, I played them over and over and over. This would have been around 1969 or '70, when I was about 6. Within two years I owned most of the Monkees' Colgems albums and 45s, which were still in print. I still love the Monkees BTW!

I also remember owning the 45 of "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night (all the kids in 2nd grade had that 45) and the Partridge Family "Sound Magazine" LP.

In those days I played my records on either a green plastic mono portable record player or on the big RCA Victor TV-radio-phono console in the living room.

This was my 1st album ever. I got it at age 5. It was my parents originally. It already was out a couple of years, by the time I caught interest in it. Since I could not keep my hands off of it, they just gave it to me back in '69 or '70.

Not any award winner, but I like the songs, and I have a fresher copy and the CD for memories.

tumblr_lmqtu2iJ5q1qzntcw.jpg
 
Same here...From '66, I was 10Yrs. Old and bought it with my 50 Cent/ Week Allowance...
And, I still Like Them...

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • The Monkees.jpg
    The Monkees.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The first album I bought with my own money was Caribou by Elton John when I was 14. Probably just for the titillating title of the lead song.

Elton_John_-_Caribou.jpg


I transformed up a walk in closet in my bedroom into a boy-cave and had some kind of el cheapo stereo record player hooked up to some Pro Linear speakers. The record player was junk but the speakers were pretty good.

I became hooked on audio in there - I spent hours listening. Due to the closet's size and configuration, it was near field listening and the funky wall angles and all the clothes hanging in there probably made it an awesome room acoustically but at that time I knew nothing about acoustics.

Now my closet is much bigger and boasts much better gear. A couple of the tunes from that album still stand as favorites. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me has a raw sound to the recording and still feels fresh every time I hear it.
 
Original Woodstock triple album + Led Zep III were bought together. I think I also bought a third one but can't remember - it was a couple of days ago, at least.

Woodstock one(s) a bit scratchy but still sounds quite good….mmm, I think it might be next to go thru the rcm.

Led Zep 3 had an accident with a heater early in its life, but is still playable(ish). I have a 2nd copy.

Steve
 
I always look at the first album as the one I first bought with money I earned.

Rush's second album - Fly by Night, from 1975.
 

Attachments

  • rush_fly_by_night.jpg
    rush_fly_by_night.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
This was the first record I recall "purchasing". It was a bonus 7" when you bought the CD of PJ Harvey's album. That was about 3 years ago. I didn't have a turntable at the time. My wife rues the day we went into that music store...

R-2694222-1296860892.jpeg


First LP was:

R-412038-1327103855.jpeg
 
Last edited:
This was the first record I recall "purchasing". It was a bonus 7" when you bought the CD of PJ Harvey's album. That was about 3 years ago. I didn't have a turntable at the time. My wife rues the day we went into that music store...

R-2694222-1296860892.jpeg


First LP was:

R-412038-1327103855.jpeg

Your pics aren't showing up. What LP was it?
 
Cool thread! If memory serves...

First single -- Edgar Winter, "Frankenstein" with "Free Ride" as the B-side.

First LP (after several years of buying only 45s with my allowance and paper route money) -- Steve Miller, "Fly Like an Eagle."

However, the two albums that had the biggest impact on my musical preferences came a couple of years later: Rush, "Moving Pictures" and Chuck Mangione, "Live at the Hollywood Bowl." Progressive rock and jazz titles remain at the top of the playlist to this day.

The most notorious record I had as a kid was a 45 rpm single of Cheech and Chong's "Sister Mary Elephant" routine (the one where she repeatedly yells "class, class, SHUT UP!). This did not go over well with my devout Catholic mother, who proceeded to toss it in the trash. I learned to be more circumspect when I got those Richard Pryor albums later on. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom