• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your flea-watts amps!

wow

they sure are nice looking ,i wish i could find one to listen to as only had soild state amps and would like to find out the differents, great pics guys
mike
 
RCA-Victor console pull, SHC-766 power chassis, 6BQ5 PP, under 10W IIRC, I oughta measure that again:

attachment.php


Philips 'The Orlean' F3C31A console pull, re-built on a new chassis, all new parts save for the iron. Still working out a few kinks on it. 6GW8 SE, good for ~1.9W.

attachment.php


az
 
Nice looking amps everybody :yes:. I didnt think there were this many SET junkies here, would be cool if we had our own forum subsection :scratch2:. Not really necessary, but it would be neat indeed.
 
Sweet 807
Two 807 sweep tubes with the Russian equivalent of a 6922 driver tube. All powered by a 274B rectifier.
Tops out at 8 watts they say.
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Those look great! Are you building any for customers? :scratch2:

They are very beautiful. If I didnt know they were hand made by an individual here on the forums, I would guess they were made and sold by a well known company.
 



This is a 6B4G PP amp I built into a ST70 chassis it puts out a wonderfull 8 watts a channel of triode power . it uses Todd output transfomers and a diytube driver board with a 7025 and two 12BH7 drivers tubes , the power transformer runs cool to the touch even after 10 hours of use .
 



This is a 6B4G PP amp I built into a ST70 chassis it puts out a wonderfull 8 watts a channel of triode power . it uses Todd output transfomers and a diytube driver board with a 7025 and two 12BH7 drivers tubes , the power transformer runs cool to the touch even after 10 hours of use .

I've been thinking about building a PP 6B4G amp, I bet that sounds fantastic:yes:
 
BOS45 Monoblock's

0wyl.jpg


Designed to be fast, Powerful and detailed without any harshness, with great power extension. To compete with $10,000 plus flea power monoblock's.

Cost of the project was $3000 in parts.

Circuit designed by myself for JDG123, Modular layout and build by JDG123 1920's- 30's style

Power 1.6 watts/amplifier

Features

EML45 driven by 12BH7 coupled to a Silk Grid Choke in step down mode.

Bridge Tube Rectification by a quad of 6D22S's providing a 30 second slow turn.

12 transformers/amplifier

Twin paralleled Power transformers with secondary DC resistance of 5 ohm's. Choke are low energy low DCR of 5 ohm's.

Capacitance, 950uf of bulk isolated supply feeding a 24uf Amp Ohm Oil for the 12BH7 and a 34uf Amp Ohm Oil for the 45.

James Output Transformers

Adjustable fix bias for the 45 with bias meter.

LED bias for the 12BH7, plate choke loaded.


Below is a photo of the BOS45 before the Tube Bridge Rectifier Circuit was added along with its second Paralleled power transformer contrasting JDG123's George Wright 2A3 monoblock. In his own words not even a contest. "A Dream Come True".

BOS45 Bridge Rectifier.jpg

SET12
 
Last edited:
Wery nice folks. I don't see too many 300Bs here though. Interesting.

That's 'cause they're not flea-power... at least, not in my book!
;-)

FWIW, I don't use a 300B amp because, to date, all the ones I've listened to sound a little sterile to me... they sound good, but they just haven't done the goose-bump/tear-drop induction for me. The best one to date has probably been Gary Kaufman's implementation of a 45/46/300B convertible amp (described on his website www.the-planet.org ).
 
Hiya,

Flea watts always was around 1 to 2 watts maximum to me.

The 45/46 Tube is a favorite of mine here.

10 watts is getting near the upper limit. Not that I don't mind that criteria. Just think that when you have to reproduce room filling good sound from a single watt you are doing something truthfully creative.

Again not a slight on some of you monster's over 5 watts.

Frannie
 
dcd001.jpg


Anything over 1 watt isn't a flea. Here's my version of Bob Danelik's 1626 based DC-Darling, 3/4 watts per channel.


6S4_front.jpg


Another sub-watt amp based on the 6S4 triode.

I can't recall building anything from scratch that was over 10 watts...

- Gary
 
Post #30 brings forth a good question.
What is Flea?
Is it SET and under, say 10WPC?
Is flea under 3?
If so, my post #25 is misplaced.
 
Don,

Well the 45 tube throws out a hefty 2 watts optimally. (Vintage Not New Production Which Surpass That)

Honestly I don't know if that pushes it past the flea watt stage but some people might argue that it does.

Gary you make some really nice simple elegant designs.

Frannie
 
Not flea but maybe "peanut"

No 300Bs here sadly but maybe they're just in under the wire at 8 watts.
ASL Wave 8 monobocks 6bm8 tubes hooked to my Hornshopps.
 

Attachments

  • WaveEightMono.jpg 005.jpg
    WaveEightMono.jpg 005.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 217
What is a Flea Power Amp?

How about using a Nice Round 10 dbw. Thats 5 wpc and about 10 db's below what many consider to be the lower end of the Reasonable Power Range (50 - 100 wpc) in order to drive 90 - 95% of the Speakers out there to Satifying SPL's. While having 100 wpc on Tap, Much of the Time I have my Power Meters in the 2 wpc Range with my 89 db/w speakers. It just may be much of the Time I could get away with a 5 wpc Amp. I think many people over estimate the amount of power they need at normal SPL's.
 
Last edited:
Those look great! Are you building any for customers? :scratch2:

Thank you! I am still getting up to speed and there is so much I have forgotten. When I retire in a few years and have the time I will probably start building for customers.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom