• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your flea-watts amps!

My Magnavox 8601 single ended 6BQ5 amp. Added the case on top, the volume control and a power switch. And changed the coupling caps. And used the extra 6.3V heater winding to reduce the line voltage. Making the primary effectively 123VAC from 117 + 6 VAC. Following my statement "Tubes are meant to be heard, not seen." Though looking carefully thru the vents you can see the tubes.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 159
Flea watts always was around 1 to 2 watts maximum to me.

Anything over 1 watt isn't a flea.

you guys want this thread to end even before 1 page?? :no:
i like your idea of flea tho :D

http://s914.photobucket.com/user/michaelhigh1967/media/selectpage211.jpg.html

Decware Zen Triode Select, designed and built in Peoria, IL...American Iron!

Nice! I also considered the Zen before my 300B.

selectpage211.jpg
 
My Magnavox 8601 single ended 6BQ5 amp. Added the case on top, the volume control and a power switch. And changed the coupling caps. And used the extra 6.3V heater winding to reduce the line voltage. Making the primary effectively 123VAC from 117 + 6 VAC. Following my statement "Tubes are meant to be heard, not seen." Though looking carefully thru the vents you can see the tubes.

Clever idea to use the extra 6.3V winding for autoformer/bucking. Thanks for posting it.

John
 
Clever idea to use the extra 6.3V winding for autoformer/bucking.

This is what you want to do. First measure the heater voltage and note it down before doing anything. Wire things up in such a way you can reverse the connections of the "Y" secondary. Then measure the heater voltage again, it should be a little lower. If it went up, reverse the Y winding connections. Then measure the heater voltage again, it should be lower than when you started.
attachment.php
 
Pretty subtle difference but with the right recording, maybe a little better focus (if that's the word for it) - seem to notice the image snaps in a little better.

I only bother with them on low-level tubes like drivers and in my pre-amp and phono-stage where they seem to have more of an effect. In this amp, the driver tube is mounted in a rubber suspended sub-assembly and the 417s aren't really microphonic anyway so it's real subtle. They certainly don't hurt things so they stay.

A good way to play with this on the cheap - heat-resistant o-rings. I tried a bunch of these for a few bucks on various tubes and liked what I heard so didn't balk at the Herbies (pictured) prices.
 
Here is my 2A3 I listen to at home, and my Darling 1626 amp I use with headphones at work.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3664.jpg
    IMG_3664.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 788
  • Darling headphone.jpg
    Darling headphone.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 773
I think this is my favorite gear porn thread yet! So many beautiful pieces of gear (art?) here! Here's my 2A3/6C6 SET. About 3 WPC. I think what's so cool about these amps is they basically turn the whole watt discussion on it's head. When <5 watts can sound this good it seems silly to even talk about wattage!
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 236
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 767
Fleas = under 2 watts IMO. Favorite is the 45. Under 10 watts are "low powered" and so far favorite is 2a3/6b4g which is essentially 2 45's in one bottle. Something about that tone.
 
Here is my 2A3 I listen to at home, and my Darling 1626 amp I use with headphones at work.

attachment.php


attachment.php


I think this is my favorite gear porn thread yet! So many beautiful pieces of gear (art?) here! Here's my 2A3/6C6 SET. About 3 WPC. I think what's so cool about these amps is they basically turn the whole watt discussion on it's head. When <5 watts can sound this good it seems silly to even talk about wattage!

attachment.php


Fleas = under 2 watts IMO. Favorite is the 45. Under 10 watts are "low powered" and so far favorite is 2a3/6b4g which is essentially 2 45's in one bottle. Something about that tone.

I don't mind grumpy audiophiles but let's see your amps first! :D
 
I wish the presentation were a little better but here is the heart of my main system...
8 watt 300b SET mono blocks, I bought them on a whim and could not be happier with the sound.

If anyone else is using Wright Sound equipment I'd love to hear about your experience. Wright Sound is a little obscure and since the demise of Mr. Wright information is hard to find.
 

Attachments

  • Wright Sound Mono SET.jpg
    Wright Sound Mono SET.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 245
I don't mind grumpy audiophiles but let's see your amps! :D

No sweat ;)

456b4g.jpg

Custom made 45 and GSG 6b4G SET's. The 45 is made of recycled Grundig parts and uses the 6BL8 as drivers.

ecl866n3p-fet.jpg

Custom made Telefunken ECL86 SEP and Qinpu A3 Headphone amp (6N3P-FET). Notice the extra choke on the PS of the ECL86.

x202nikko.jpg

Fisher x202 and Nikko for bass-heavy music. The US Mail box has 70 12AX7's and 5751's I've been rolling.

These are just the systems (along with a Lepai T amp) next to my bed. There are 4 listening areas in the apartment. It's sweet to be a bachellor sometimes :banana:
 
Nothing to contribute but to say I went through about 10-15 different diy by tube people flea market amps...the dinky custom designed 5ish wattage ones and even some sleeper 15-30 watters can sound absolutely stunning. Wish I had pictures as there were some real cutie pies, especially these 5 watt monos, very rare looking things I have never seen since, ran some 6V6's, and absolutely gorgeous sound with a very basic/simple diy type design/tweak.

Lovely photos from people around here. Very much enjoy seeing all the "artwork" done...just beautiful stuff!!!
 
6n1p to 6E5P (triode) 1.9 Watts

Here one of my breadboard chassis... 6E5P gives 1.9 beatifull watts..
 

Attachments

  • P6180274.jpg
    P6180274.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 197
Designed but PCB not etched yet..... 6jt8 configured in PP as a headphone Amp with small 4 watt universal transformers, 32 ohm 8ohm and 4ohm output taps.
 

Attachments

  • Spacing check.jpg
    Spacing check.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 184
Back
Top Bottom