• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony playstation 1 mods for CDP use?

I use an unmodded # 5501 and enjoy listening to it .I have noted on a few other threads I think what it does best is smooth out those newer/remastered
cd's and cdr's that are recorded at higher levels and sound too "in your
face" on a normal cd player. It sounds surpisingly like vinyl,no cd shrill
at all and is warm yet still detailed. No its not a looker, but they can be
picked up for 25 bucks or less all day long. Btw, I placed a 1/2" sheet of
cork board under it and solved the vibration/skip issue.
 
Hi,

I´m not using a PS1 and have no experiences with it. But here is a german website that shows IMHO a impressive modification of this toy.
Maybe you can use babelfish for translation.

This guy seems to be a DIY-master :)

regards
Sascha
 
Anyone ever tried using a Philips CD-I 220 as a CD Player ? It uses one of Philips famous "swing arm" CDM-9 lasers, and when taking it apart it has Nichicon Muse Capacitors already installed in it.
 
Here is a link to a PDF that shows the main mods. This is a 45mb PDF, so be warned... http://www.mediafire.com/?ngdunzbyxmw I've been using a PS1 for the last few years and, IMO, if you aren't going to do the mods, don't bother, it isn't that great in stock form. If you want to try a game machine that sounds good without doing any modifications, try a Panasonic 3DO.

Not to resurrect a 6.5 year-old thread... but...

Do you still have that file?

=)
 
I used a PS1 in my bedroom until I swapped it out with an old Sony DVD player that was probably only $40 new and it sounded so much better. Don't invest too much.
 
I'm told the 5501 has the better laser. Mine was highly modded by a friend who sells them on Audiogon. I can't speak to all of it's mods but it weighs about twice as much as a non modded unit. It has a built in remote as well.

P2100001.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom