• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Take apart EPI 601 speakers

MeatInStereo

Can outrun 80% of snakes
Anyone have any advice on taking apart EPI 601 speakers? One of the speaker's front drivers are not working regardless of the knob and switch on the back.

Thanks,

Meat
 
Register to hide this ad
you'd probably be better off posting the question in the speakers section, there are a few EPI gurus over there, and you'll get more views.....
 
I have several pairs (like 15) that I need to re-foam, and am very nervous about it as I have never done it before......, once my money issues clear up, my first two to do are my Epicures, and a pair of EPI......I am curious and eager to learn, but very afraid to screw it up.....LOL
 
Haha...I have some Dahlquist DQ-10's i am going to refoam this afternoon. I have never done it before either. The package i have has very detailed instructions so I feel confident. i tried to take off the cover of these EPI speakers and they will not budge...I know if i can get the cover off i take take out the speaker and Deoxit the switches.
 
Hi Meat,

Early EPI 601's grills were nailed with small brads around the edges of the grills. Get a flashlight and shine it on the edge(border) of the cabinet and grill. Look "under" the fabric to see the heads which are dark. Using a soft cloth place it on the cabinet and using a putty knife edge, slowly force the soft cloth into the seam and "pop" the masonite grill off the brad. Later versions used hot melt glue to secure the grills. Procedure is the same, but use the putty knife around all edges of the grill. At some point the glue will let loose and the whole grill will remove and you can get to all the front drivers. Also be aware that early tweeters were wired in series, thus if the front is out it may be one of the tweeters in the rear that is actually bad. - Good Luck!
 
I got it ...a putty knive was the tool to use...and they were held on with the world's strongest velco :) i have another thread going fro my sound issue with one of the speakers...seems like a bad switch and also a bad poly cap...I am just wondering how I am going to fit my hand in the box and replace them.
 
Anyone have any advice on taking apart EPI 601 speakers? One of the speaker's front drivers are not working regardless of the knob and switch on the back.

Thanks,

Meat

Piece of Cake. I just finished re-building a pair of EPI-601's. Found these recently and got them cheap. Great shape, cabinets 9 out of 10. All drivers good. Sounded real good but I like to tinker so I re-built the crossovers. Used some Mills resistors and Jantzen caps I found at Parts Express. Re-sutffed with poly and removed the fiberglass. Upgraded the cheap wires and soldered all connections. Probably should have documented this but I did not.
Sound nice with the new CO, waiting to get some hours on them before I give a final opinion.
The front woofer is easy. Remove the screws and carefully pry out. Mine had old sealer that was hard to break free. The front is in its own cabinet stuffed with fiberglass. Wires run through the smaller cabinet to the rear.
Hope this helps.

Jack
 
I got it ...a putty knive was the tool to use...and they were held on with the world's strongest velco :) i have another thread going fro my sound issue with one of the speakers...seems like a bad switch and also a bad poly cap...I am just wondering how I am going to fit my hand in the box and replace them.

I had recently re-built the Crossover on my EPI-601. There is not much space in the cabinet to get at the CO. First, remove all fiber glass. I carefully scored the glue holding the fiberboard CO board and lightly tapped with the back of a hammer on the outside of the cabinet. The CO came off pretty easy, and did not crack. Just slowly work your way around, may need a flexible putty knife to work your way around. There is no way I would try to do this without removing the whole board. It was much easier to add new components, clean switches and the rotary resistor. I changed all wires to better quality and soldered all connections, got rid of the wire twists. The CO was actually pretty simple, just label all wires.
I used silicon to re-mount the CO board. Re-wire the speakers, re-stuff and that should be it.

Mine only have a few hours so far but I think they sound much clearer, I expect them to get better with time.

Good luck.
Jack
 
I restored them months ago and are on my never sell list...I popped the CO's out and restored all caps and resistors.

You are the only other peson so far that i have talked to that has a pair.
 
I restored them months ago and are on my never sell list...I popped the CO's out and restored all caps and resistors.

You are the only other peson so far that i have talked to that has a pair.

I do not want to say what I paid but it was a steal. My "source" has other high end speakers and I do not want it to get around. I had really never heard of these till I saw them and heard them, I knew I wanted them at that time. Looked a little like Bose but I never liked Bose speakers.

Cabinets are 9 out of 10, I think everything is original, as far as I can tell. They sounded really nice but I knew I could do better. It was actually pretty easy to do the CO, I have done much worse. What was surprising was the low gauge wire and all the wire ties used! Got rid of all this with premium wires and soldered/heat shrink joints. I replaced the fiberglass with poly, still have the glass and may swap it back for a comparison later. They sound really nice, have them sitting on some KLH model 23's and next to some Advents A3, these hold their own well.

I agree, these are on my no sell lists, as are most of my many speakers. (someday I will need to inventory)

I will post some photos later on
 
Yea don't let your source out, rogue people surf this forum looking for stuff to buy and flip. I got mine for a steal as well. I replaced all the wiring too. Great sound. They are up their with my Infinity's and Dahlquist'sas far as soundstage.

They can handle a ton of power too... I put about 400wpc on them and they sing.

My cab are about a 9 out 10 as well. Water ring on the top of one but not that bad either.

I have mine on the Bose Tulip speaker stands that 901 are typically on.
 
Back
Top Bottom