• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vintage CD players

I haven't heard a CDP I like as much as m Denon DCD-1560. I bought it new on close-out in '92 for $450 or so...heavy thing with a Sony linear-motor transport and twin Burr-Brown 20-bit DACs. It needs a new belt for the tray, but works fine otherwise. I have a DCD-820 I nabbed awhile back at GW for $9.99...worked really well and sounds excellent but has developed a problem I need to troubleshoot. Another 20-bit dual-DAC machine...great soundstage out of these.

TP
 
Kyocera made a pretty decent cd player. I have the entry level model from the mid eighties. Good sound and good looks. They show up on ebay quite frequently as well.

Rich
 
Denon 1560

I have that Denon 1560 as well which I bought new to replace a second generation Yamaha that crapped out.

Great sound, bulletproof construction. The only problem is that when I was finally tried hooking it up digitally to my Denon 2800 receiver, the quality of the sound really went south. It was harsh, brittle. Back to analog and I'm still in love with it.
 
5f_1_b.JPG


Magnavox CDB650 is the best vintage CD player IMHO.

Considered top of the line back in the day, and highly praised by nearly everyone. Tons of mods for them too. It pretty much got the High-end CD player industry going...

I got mine at a thrift for $25. I obtained the remote control on eBay.

Sounds very "LP" like in the mids even in stock form.

Nice looking and easy to operate. It has the fabled Philips TDA-1541A DAC chip. 16 bit with 4 times oversampling digital filter. Extremely good low linearity. No need to trim the MSB as with other DACs of the day. This chipset was even used by Sony in their costlier units!!

Many higher-end players including the McIntosh MCD7005 and 7007 were built around the very same circuit. I used to own the 7007 and quite frankly the CDB650 sounds the same.

Further, the CDB650 was built in Belgium, way before Philips moved production to the far east.

They can still be had cheaply on eBay if you look for them carefully. One of those hidden treasures out there.

You can't go wrong with the CDB650.

Regards,
crooner
 
Last edited:
CDA is a SIXTEEN BIT system. Overscanning is a lot like overclocking or using a higher speed processor, but the SOURCE remains limited unless you resample it and reformat. Then it's only a BETTER? version of what was considered "perfect" 20 years ago. Rescanning a digital format is normally mainly of archival interest and resolution can only be improved by a fixed increment.

Well, Philips first CD player the CD100 used a 14 bit DAC. How did they achieve 16 bit equivalent resolution? Simple. They pioneered DSP with 4x oversampling and a digital filter. Way before anybody.

The result was vastly improved performance, 16 bits equivalent.

BTW, most recordings do not use the full 16 bits of the CD-DA system. I would say the "red book" standard is still adequate for most music recorded today. You would need a good audio system to confirm vinyl's superiority.

On my modest rig, LPs sound much more spacious and natural. But then, I have a MMF-5 table with a Gyger "S" shaped fine line stylus.
 
Last edited:
Guess it depends on the sound you are after. Other vintage players I have, Akai CD-A7 (circa 1986/87) which I have been using an awful lot lately, sounds very clean. Sanyo CDP-300 circa 1984, actually my oldest, thing weighs about 30lbs, but the transport sinks when it warms up (and it gets very warm) then it won't track CDs, but while it works it sounds OK at best, if it was better I would have fixed it already. Emerson CD-150A circa 1986 the Yamaha built thing I picked up this past week sounds quite nice, hooked it up to my Sansui 990DB, seems to be a good match, a bit warmer than the Akai but it could also be those old HK speakers I use which tend to have a warm sound to them. Also have the Soundesign CD5050BK or something to that effect circa 1987 which was a rebranded Toshiba, has a very unusual transport setup, sounds closest to something of a modern vintage, aside from saying Soundesign and looking cheesy it performs very nicely. Got the Pioneer PD-T303 twin tray circa the early 1990s, an excellent unit, sounds great, never given me trouble and I have had this thing since new. Got a Nikko, forget the model # from the mid 80s in terrible shape that I use as a test player when working on equipment, sounds good too, perhaps a tad softer and less crisp, if it was not in such lousy cosmetic shape I would use it in a system somewhere. Got a Magnavox of unknown model w/ a swing arm pickup, sounds very warm, reads even the worst CDs known to man, you could sand the CD with sandpaper and it probably would read it without a hitch. Got the Technics SL-P1 circa 1984, theoretically it should be close to the MCS Series A 6801 but it appears to be a step down the line and does not quite match it in features or performance. Of all the MCS takes the cake, it sounds fantastic, is built like a tank, reads anything and has an interface for programming and track acess that leaves me wondering why others did not use such a setup, it is so logical, it looks the best too. Luckily this thing appears as though it was never actually used, it looks like new (did not even have a speck of dust inside when I got it), reads like new so hopefully it will serve me for a good while. Of all those the MCS 6801, Akai CD-A7 and Pioneer are the three I like best and use most often, not just for sound quality but they have to have a useable setup. I guess you don't realize how much of an advantage a good interface is until you have used it next to something with a terrible interface. Try programming the Pioneer as opposed to the MCS and you would see what I mean. I have the Akai, Technics and Sanyo all hooked up Fisher RS-1060 system #2 as opposed to using a CD changer, though about 90% of the time I use the Akai. Vintage CD players are not always best but if you can get them as frequently as you can around here it might be worth a try. I even know the whereabouts of two identical made in Belgium Magnavox units that I might pick up for a trial run when the price gets to be a tad better, $15 is just too much $ for a cheapskate like me. Actually of all the above, aside from the Pioneer which I bought new, the MCS was the most expensive at $9.
 
Thanks for the post yrly, it jogged my memory. I've got a Pioneer PDF507 changer than I originally bought because it wsa the only changer I could find that was the same depth as most other components, unlike the depth that is typical of most carousel players. When I hooked it up, I was VERY surprised how good it sounded. So much that I conneceted its Toslinkoutput to a Monarchy DAC/preamp and ran it through my Cary mono blocs. HOLY CRAP! Pioneer deserves more repect than it gets. :yes:
 
OOh, ooooh, trip down memory lane. I had the Magnavox branded version of the CD100. It became a paperweight in 1998 when it refused to read discs anymore. So I tossed it.
 
I concur with people who like the Denon's from the eighties. Nice units. My fave vintage unit is a Marantz SE67. I bought it used about six years ago, sounds great and no problems.
 
I use 2 Tascam 201s at the moment,they are big,heavy and sound great.As some of the veterns on this forum know I went through CDPs like Sh-- through a goose.
However with the Tascams I am happy.I am sure a newer model is better but in the real world these are fine.If I ever bought a new one,based on Dave918 and BrianB,I would get a Music Hall

Alan
 
My mind is made up. I'll be watching out for a Magnavox CDB650 on ebay. Thanks for all the great info guys. :thmbsp:
 
Thanks Crooner. You have been a big help. And thanks to everyone else who put their 02 cents worth in . :beerchug:
 
Yes I remember it's alter ego Magnavox...

crooner said:
Well, Philips first CD player the CD100 used a 14 bit DAC. How did they achieve 16 bit equivalent resolution? Simple. They pioneered DSP with 4x oversampling and a digital filter. Way before anybody.

The result was vastly improved performance, 16 bits equivalent...

As I recall, 14 bit was somewhat the technical limitations of the manufacturers at the time. It seems to mirror the recording systems of the time, going back to the early Mitsubishi recorders.

BTW, most recordings do not use the full 16 bits of the CD-DA system. I would say the "red book" standard is still adequate for most music recorded today...

I do not fully understand what a "red book" is other than possibly the standards listed by Philips and Sony that apply to the system. I could argue that 8 bits would be almost okay if you weren't picky, but I am guessing BIGTIME. The original pressings were already of a caliber to expose dreadful noise in the masters. Ever since, engineers and listeners alike have strived to stretch this format into places it doesn't seem to go. Still, credit is due to them for doing some incredible things with it (all of which pioneered the DVD format's features) such as multi-formatting (computer and video files intermixed), compressed media...while borrowing from LV the chapter/frame search concept and tracking systems. It's heartening to note that Philips stayed with laser-read media after the disasters with MCA DiscoVision that scuttled the Magnavision LV line.

On my modest rig, LPs sound much more spacious and natural. But then, I have a MMF-5 table with a Gyger "S" shaped fine line stylus.

I cannot pretend to understand the meaning of that. I will take your word for it.

Steven
 
I have a first generation Sony CDP-101 which I use as my main CD player in my system. That is the most one nicest and 'analogue' sounding player I have listened to. It puts a lot of later players that I have heard to shame apart from a Luxman D-105U tube player - That was a good peformer also... I also have a couple of ancient Mitsubishi CD Players also and an Vertical Loading Technics SL-P10 that still works fine....:)
 
I have a first generation Sony CDP-101 which I use as my main CD player in my system. That is the most one nicest and 'analogue' sounding player I have listened to. It puts a lot of later players that I have heard to shame apart from a Luxman D-105U tube player - That was a good peformer also... I also have a couple of ancient Mitsubishi CD Players also and an Vertical Loading Technics SL-P10 that still works fine....

Well, I happen to have the hobby of collecting first generation CD players. Perhaps laughable today, but they said the same thing about collecting vintage 1970s solid-state ten years ago. The cool thing is that you can get the players very cheap.

So far I have a CDP-101, the Magnavox FD-1000SL (same as Philips CD100), Hitachi DA-1000, Sanyo DAD-8 and Mitsubishi DP-101.

I would assume you find the CDP-101 "analogue like" because of the "brickwall" analog filters at the DAC output. That configuration was and still is very controversial. The filters themselves accounted for a big chunk of the player's cost. It has been said that Sony lost money on every CDP-101 sold, and I tend to concur with that.

The Mitsubishi DP-101 is a vertical loading player that has the very same DAC as the Sony unit. I believe very few were sold. Mine belonged to a reviewer that used to write for Stereo Review. It retailed for $1200 back in '83. The unit was built to last and it uses plug in boards, minicomputer style. All glass-epoxy. It has remote control, and a lot of nifty programmable features. It is affectionately called the "Mitsubishi Zero", being so old I guess.

Is your Mitsu the same model I have? Never seen any other like it.

BTW, speaking of the Technics SL-P10, I've been looking for a good example for quite some time now. I found out David Ranada has one. But he won't let go of it!


Regards,
crooner
 
Last edited:
The big problem I've seen the with CDP-101 is the two power ICs that drive the focus and tracking coils and the loading and sled motors. I've had two 101s and one needed both ICs and the other needed only the focus/tracking IC. Both ICs are completely unavailable so I had to construct replacements using a power opamp. I've heard that failure of this IC can melt the focs/tracking coils in the pickup.
 
I like my Sansui CD-X701i from 1986.

It has XLR balanced outputs, digital out (including optical), it uses a high-quality Sony ES tray/transport that's very very smooth.

I also have the 1998 Arcam 7se cdp, and while having a slightly hotter output, it misses the 'full metal jacket' (even the remote controller is metal), smooth hi-quality tray, and XLR balanced outputs.
The downside of the Cdx-701 is it won't accept all cd-r's.
But whatever Stereophile once said; the newer Arcam didn't make my 1986 Sansui cdp obsolete. But still use the Arcam for some of the cd-r's.

Edit:

Checked the remote controller, and it's made of hard plastic rather then metal. I'm really sorry for the misinformation.
The 'faceplate' (where the knobs are) seems to be made from metal though. But I'm talking only about a detail; the most important is the cdp itself right?
 
Last edited:
I bought a brand new Marantz CD 73 in 1984 in Australia for A$700.00 (US$520.00)
Marantz's first CD player? .......I'm not sure, maybe second.
A european model with real brushed aluminum faceplace....not bad...made in Belgium......still working great & never been to repair shop. I left it to my family when I moved to California.
sorry, I don't have a picture.
 
Back
Top Bottom