• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage CD players

Does anyone know if the 222ES used the KSS-190A as well? I've got one that didi not read a disk the last time I tried to us it. I've not pulled the hood on it yet.
 
[Mode Edit] Just sharing the love for the vintage Sony ES players. I recently pulled my 508ESD out of storage, just took some drawer lubrication, lens cleaning and I did tweak the tracking pot. The player has a hum with power on, not through the speakers, like transformer noise. Any ideas? There are several mod threads on this player, but I'm just thinking of a recap.

pEIpHj2C8claZbsf0kbgmvHPcFjBeX-Df26k7nIEIZxMlKxrliKuje6TW1vxkBLTjqT-CbBnhEq0VrJn-tVYEUCNAKXM1NfxBD7jiVBtlDzQI1Mgu0HlcBBBzG_CUtVy9-ibA9A6BmHZEc42JiDY6PgDiRUUp728PB_aGK_HtrHEdZKuvRgcLtgt-iD2tJTDSzZcl5paER0UbQmXUxJeEKfTHAb1uBv61E_jxJvihDKBrsXgtaDnB8mHf6wP4PdtSFHh9qqoZts81-1Aqod9-VFDgUzTDYWccPr84nm-QsvJosyy0MMM1wfJ_9cg_58zdiOO2XdC7UQ4fvOp-G5a0PNcvO-MVNsEONYHEbgv9M7l54FzAmEw4zViat6dlUS_cv-Lpa7nQOtRTeg5NXsrWXYsqFQNd3lcKV0YShggsG4VVTE-FmY_5FN8Ven61Qeyf7xjjpNGM-k0jfl2uqpLGEk9ICtonuNoHnQ4iCggGK2dBI9EDby-Bzj16xzQBL9SoQ0o3nhavnCKmgO73KXiwJS1QQq9qo_RbO7pVgKHJOv0dhSSw0dMDMB4hgSwHatrzFZ1w414o0fzhjqO5PeVPTTa26o_BA6GNRAD8IrQgLjsxQbxYSP-9b0lKH90OVu7VSYZ6cQdSMvgurvO9xBzklNvHXGMdcU=w1440-h378-no
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I take a look at the inside of the player it seems there are 3 small caps for powersupply, take a look at these, take a picture and post it here.

Also could be the regulator, as far as I can see there's only one inside???

Also could be the transformer itself, it is rather small btw.

I am not trying to be offensive, but this player is rather low cost build, and in my opinion not ES-worthy. It has the ES-looks though!
 
I'll put in my 2 cents. Sony DVP-s7700 DVd player. Has separate lasers for cd and dvd. Built like a tank!

Built like a Sony ES
24bit DAC,(Sony rebranded PCM1753E)
Upgrade analog board with ELNA SILMIC 2, NICHICON KZ MUSE (easily removable, top behind transport copper shield on top, couple of screws)
Change op amps OPA 627 or NJR MUSES02


You will be stunned!!!
full_interior.jpg
 
Last edited:
I got a slew of older cd players. Just bought a modded JVC XL-Z1050 and I would put it up against most anything. Also have a Denon DCD-1500 II that I really like, as well as some of the "mash" Technics players. Those are really nice.

For me, I simply revel in the overbuilt quality, and affordability. With the least bit of work, most of these old girls fire up just fine.
 
I got a slew of older cd players. Just bought a modded JVC XL-Z1050 and I would put it up against most anything. Also have a Denon DCD-1500 II that I really like, as well as some of the "mash" Technics players. Those are really nice.

For me, I simply revel in the overbuilt quality, and affordability. With the least bit of work, most of these old girls fire up just fine.

The Sony DVP-s7700 has a 24bit DAC,(Sony rebranded PCM1753E) some simple mods and you have a brilliant player. Replacing the older ELNA SILMIC 1 already on the board with new Elna SILMIC 2s and NICHICON KZ MUSE made a huuuuge difference. Then added modern op amps, JRC MUSES02 incredible! I bought 2 of these dvd players for under $50, and one for $27 for parts in case I screwed up the soldering. Going to add an iec to the back so I can use a custom power cord. This player already outshines my Marantz CD 6006. Much quieter background, bigger soundstage, more detail, just incredible. Still going to see how far I can take this, recap power supply and a few other tweeks.
 
Last edited:
The Sony DVP-s7700 has a 24bit dac, some simple mods and you have a brilliant player. Replaing the older similacs already on the board with new similac2s and nichion kz made a huuuuge difference. Then added modern op amps, muses02 incredible! I bought these for under $50, one for $27 for parts in case I screwed up the soldering. Going to add an iec to the back so I can use a custom powercord. This player already outshines my Marantz CD 6006. Much quieter background, bigger soundstage, more detail, just incredible. Still going to see how far I can take this, recap power supply and a few other tweeks

The Sony DVP-s7700 has a 24bit dac, some simple mods and you have a brilliant player. Replacing the older ELNA SILMIC (1s) already on the board with new ELNA SILMIC 2s and NICHICON KZ made a huuuuge difference. Then added modern op amps, muses02 incredible! I bought these for under $50, one for $27 for parts in case I screwed up the soldering. Going to add an iec to the back so I can use a custom powercord. This player already outshines my Marantz CD 6006. Much quieter background, bigger soundstage, more detail, just incredible. Still going to see how far I can take this, recap power supply and a few other tweeks
 
I have a Sony CDP-55 from 1985/86.
Evidently it was a decent player at the time.
Got a near perfect remote for it on ebay.
Used it enough that I know it works.
Seems to me I removed the case once and saw it had "good" capacitors as well.
 
In last few years i have owned and repaired thousands of cd players, all i want to say that you do not have to worry about optical pickup, all they need is to service mechanical parts and adjust everything to factory settings
 
Please - discussions only.
Offers to buy/sell/trade are not allowed in the main forums - even spare parts.
 
The Sony DVP-s7700 has a 24bit dac, some simple mods and you have a brilliant player. Replacing the older ELNA SILMIC (1s) already on the board with new ELNA SILMIC 2s and NICHICON KZ made a huuuuge difference. Then added modern op amps, muses02 incredible! I bought these for under $50, one for $27 for parts in case I screwed up the soldering. Going to add an iec to the back so I can use a custom powercord. This player already outshines my Marantz CD 6006. Much quieter background, bigger soundstage, more detail, just incredible. Still going to see how far I can take this, recap power supply and a few other tweeks

I have the Sony DVP-NS900V, a respected DVD player for those wanting 2 channel, and I find it......capable. Not magical, nor really all that much stands out, but you can tell it is a good player. I'd love to know how to mod it, wish I had even a rudimentary electronics knowledge. Until the local library has a class or something, I'm out of luck, lol.
 
My, unmodified, 32 yr old Mac MCD-7007(circa spring 1987, purchased new) has performed flawlessly since that time, both in analog output, initially, and more recently utilizing it`s S/PDIF coax output to my DAC..

Toggling my Mac C37 preamp between the player`s analog feed to it, and my DAC`s analog output from the Mac CD player S/PDIF feed`s SQ is slightly different sounding, but both are subjectively pleasant sounding..

I`m thinking that it will stay in the A/V rack until it jumps off the cliff..
I`m pretty sure I got my money`s value for the thousands of hour`s of it`s CD playing/running time..
 
I recently pulled my Sony CDP-102 off the shelf. cleaned up the transport rails and it works fine. I use it to burn in freshly restored gear. I haven't compared it to my main cd player but like Bill says above well worth the initial cost.
 
I have the Sony DVP-NS900V, a respected DVD player for those wanting 2 channel, and I find it......capable. Not magical, nor really all that much stands out, but you can tell it is a good player. I'd love to know how to mod it, wish I had even a rudimentary electronics knowledge. Until the local library has a class or something, I'm out of luck, lol.

Your Sony DVP-NS900V would also be an easy mod, do you have basic soldering skills? You have a separate audio board in the back of machine, just op amp upgrade to a modern op amp will make a huge difference. Try MUSES02, OPA627, or something warmer MUSES01, or Ad825. You might catch the bug! I wouldn't do it if you spent a lot of money on it, but if not see what you can get out of it. I came across some threads of the Sony DVP-S7700 and wanted to see If I could make it sound better than my Marantz CD6006. I think I've done that, now pushing for more.
 
Anybody have any recommendations for some lesser known (lesser expensive) CD players that also play SACD and DVD audio?
 
Back
Top Bottom