• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What High End PreAmp do you have?

My favorite preamp ONKYO P-303 with excellent sound!
His extraordinary phono stage, beats my other new comer the ONKYO P-3000!

Rare ONKYO P-303 with extra rare ONKYO U-30 passive selector:

onkyop303preampandu24se.jpg


Here, with ONKYO M-504 power amp:

14-1_zps5b398e8e.jpg


My other new comer, the completely new ONKYO P-3000, matching with ONKYO M-5000 power amplifier:

5-3_zps22d17624.jpg


P1100619_zpsd2317510.jpg


TOSHIBA AUREX SY-C15, matching with his power amp SC-M15:

P1080931.jpg


P1080900-2_zps8141f207.jpg
 
Don't know if it's high end, but here's my Conrad Johnson PV5:
P1060113_800.jpg


Has a pretty unique chrome cover:
P1060115_800.jpg


Very shiny. . .
P1060114_800.jpg


Upgraded (by a previous owner) by Bill Thallman at Music Technology:
P1060119_800.jpg
 
Don't know if it's high end, but here's my Conrad Johnson PV5:
P1060113_800.jpg


Has a pretty unique chrome cover:
P1060115_800.jpg


Very shiny. . .
P1060114_800.jpg


Upgraded (by a previous owner) by Bill Thallman at Music Technology:
P1060119_800.jpg
Oooo very cool. Makes my PV-12 look tatty!
 
Yamaha C-2x with upgraded RCA terminals and IEC plug. I like it :yes:

IMG_6127Yamahastack2net_zps8b722ad1.jpg


IMG_6080YamahaC-2XRCA2.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm using an Audio by Van Alstine Omega III built into a Dynaco PAT-5 chassis. It still sounds good enough to me that I haven't given in to the temptation to buy the latest AVA circuit set.
 
My ...new "kid on the block"!

The extra rare Aurex - Toshiba SY-88.
This preamp is excellent for any MM or MC cartridge. It was bought directly from Japan.

It is very rare because it was never selling on USA or Europe.
Just only for Japanese consumers!

Selling price on 1977 was 180.000 yien.

p1110707ct.jpg


p1110729s.jpg


p1110728t.jpg


p1110678u.jpg




From left to right all my three preamps:
Onkyo P-3000R, Onkyo P-303 with U-30 selector, Aurex SY-88:music:

p11107701.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nakamichi CA-7A. Sounds great after recap, changing pots and adjusting idling currents (3x) and fitting with a Pangea power cord.

A challenger, Pioneer Elite C-91, is due to arrive next week. After bringing it in a in a working shape and usual recapping/re-potting/ re-etc I'll do a shootout.
 
Classe DR6 MKII

Well it is a very recent acquisition but not necessarily high end.

A Classe DR6 MKII which is an early 90's version of the original DR6.

Came with original owners manual and box. Shown with outboard power supply.

Its to new to comment on so that will have to wait.
 

Attachments

  • DR6 MKII 002.JPG
    DR6 MKII 002.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DR6 MKII 005.JPG
    DR6 MKII 005.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 74
The DR-6 MkII IS a high end product. It was Classé's TOTL preamp until it was replaced by the Model 6.
 
Oh yes, that Aurex and that Classé look really nice, thanks for the view!

Now if only we could see that Nakamichi CA-7A ;)
 
I just got a McIntosh MX130. This thing was designed as an AV preamp, but since it only does Dolby Prologic, it got outdated pretty quick, and now you can get one pretty cheap. The good thing is that they make excellent stereo preamps and have tons of inputs.
149688012.jpg
 
The Coffman G1A

Hello,

Have any of you folks seen one of these? They are hand built by a fellow named Damon Coffman and its the most fantastic pre I have ever heard. I was running a Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature and swore I would never upgrade ... then I heard the phono stage on the Coffman. He only built 500 of them due to limited parts availability. It also has a wonderful headphone amp built in that bested my Antique Labs MG Head OTL Mark III. It really does everything well but I paid through the nose for it.

Nothing out there that looks like it ... or sounds like it. It's built like a brick outhouse and has some interesting features. It's a two chassis system with the power supply section being connected via an umbilical power cable. I hear he is working on headphone amps now ... very cool stuff.
 

Attachments

  • coff1.jpg
    coff1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 145
Back
Top Bottom