• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's on your bench?

A Yamaha HT receiver with the most maddeningly random intermittent that I have ever encountered.:headscrat
And a Sony STR 2800 with a channel out.
 
Right now, the last of some vintage Xmas lights that need repair or upgrading for next year. It's a priority as I can't pack away the rest of the Xmas stuff till these are done.

As soon as those are gone, the JBL L80Ts that I got last summer will get new surrounds and the Paradigm Atoms too, if I can find a foam that fits.

Edit: Looks like the speakers have been pushed back... yesterday the door on our Sony K677ES cassette deck refused to open. :(
 
Last edited:
A Luxman L-85v, One Channel Blown, Then an Onkyo TX6500II one channel gone, Then a Phase Linear 3000 SerII for some Suck and resolder on some output relay pins.
 
I actually had two projects today.

First was an Onkyo M-5150 Power Amp, which has just replaced the Onkyo M-5140 in my living room (main) system.

The M-5140 is rated 105 w/ch rms at .09% distortioin. It has +/- 60 v on the rails, and uses the Sanyo STK4044V output chips.

The M-5150 is rated 150 w/ch rms at .09% distortioin. It has +/- 71 v on the rails, and uses the Sanyo STK4048V output chips.

These two amps, other than the transformer and output chips, are otherwise nearly identical.

I used a chemical to blacken some minor scratches on the black aluminum faceplate.

attachment.php


Then I opened it, dusted it out, and added 5-way binding posts just above the original speaker spring clips thingies. Parts Express p/n 091-1140, similar to what I had done with this M-5140, and placed photos here on AK:

attachment.php
attachment.php


The M-5150 is now installed in my main system.

Second project, an Onkyo T-4087 tuner that I had filter modded previously... (see this thread)

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139128&highlight=T-4087

... I had removed the fake rosewood sides, which left an open area on each side of the faceplate.

attachment.php


I had a sheet of black textured ABS plastic which I just received from Parts Express p/n 265-948. I cut some filler pieces, and glued them in place earlier this evening. I used my favorite shop glue, E6000.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Onkyo M-5150.jpg
    Onkyo M-5150.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 501
  • Onkyo M-5150 Posts.JPG
    Onkyo M-5150 Posts.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Onkyo T-4087 Corner Filler.JPG
    Onkyo T-4087 Corner Filler.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 631
Lets' see. I got a
Tube Pre-amp (scratch build)
T-amp (kit build)
Stepped attenuators (10K and 100K)
Sansui 9090Db (fix %#$@% channel dropout)
Hagman UFO

I just can't seem to finish anything lately.
 
I have a Kenwood KA-5002 and Pioneer SA-7100 "on the bench" right now. The Kenny needs to be stripped down and the chassis and boards cleaned. I've already done the knobs and front panel and re-painted the top cover. The Pioneer plays fine with the stereo/mono mode switch in mono, but only one channel plays with it in stereo. I've narrowed the problem down to the switching assembly, maybe a tape monitor/dubbing switch that is bad or just needs cleaning.
 
I've got a 5' 6" Mason & Risch grand piano on the bench at the moment and the darned thing really gets in the way!
 
I just finished a Phase Linear 4000 preamp this afternoon. See its thread in this forum. I'll start another piece this afternoon after I finish my lunch (burp!). Either a Fisher X-1000 integrated amp (that's not a typo) or a Sherwood 8000 rcvr.
I'm leaning toward the Fisher. It's a rare one and I've never worked in one before. I'll take some pix for the curious.
 
On one bench I have the action to a spinet (blech) that is receiving new drop elbows.

On my electronics bench I just buttoned up a repaired Fender Lead 100, and after a break I'm going to horse up a Peavey Renown for cleaning and resoldering. After that.... :rolleyes:
 
I just finished a Phase Linear 4000 preamp this afternoon. See its thread in this forum. I'll start another piece this afternoon after I finish my lunch (burp!). Either a Fisher X-1000 integrated amp (that's not a typo) or a Sherwood 8000 rcvr.
I'm leaning toward the Fisher. It's a rare one and I've never worked in one before. I'll take some pix for the curious.

I finished off the Fisher, which needed general cleanup plus rebuilding of the bias supply and phono heater supply. This is a really nice int amp with PP EL34s, making about 50WPC at clip. I'd never seen Fisher branded EL34s before.

I also finished off the Sherwood receiver. It's an S-8000. It got the usual once-over. The major issue was that the power tubes had loose sockets. Two of the 7868s had intermittents at the heater pins. This caused the output stage to have one dead channel and the other two 'live' tubes to overdissipate (redplate) because they were running with a 92 Ohm shared cathode resistor, which was supposed to serve all 4 tubes. I carefully cleaned and tightened all of the power tube pin contacts and cleaned the tube pins. I divided the cathode resistor into a 200 Ohm for each channel, with cathode bypass for each. The bias voltage that develops is around 17VDC, indicating 85ma. The plate voltage is 400V, so dissipation per channel is about 32W. At that power level the 7868 output tubes should last a decent amount of time.

The next thing I worked on was my H-P 331A distortion analyzer. Suddenly it thinks everything has exactly 26% distortion. I fooled with it and couldn't figure out the problem. It will have to go out to be serviced. Well, I bought it used 12 years ago so maybe it's due for service.

Tomorrow I'll have a new batch of stuff to work on. It never stops.
 
On one bench I have the action to a spinet (blech) that is receiving new drop elbows.

On my electronics bench I just buttoned up a repaired Fender Lead 100, and after a break I'm going to horse up a Peavey Renown for cleaning and resoldering. After that.... :rolleyes:

Ah, so you've the same issues I have. Dang pianos have a way of taking over the place, don't they? Agree with you completely on the spinet, try to steer 180º away from them if at all possible. Action from purgatory, that is. I have the same taste in pianos as in audio gear; big and old....
 
Ah, so you've the same issues I have. Dang pianos have a way of taking over the place, don't they? Agree with you completely on the spinet, try to steer 180º away from them if at all possible. Action from purgatory, that is. I have the same taste in pianos as in audio gear; big and old....

Yep, those pianos do take up space. I've got 4 full uprights, one of which is a player. When I have "spare time" I'll get each of them going--or not, depending on assessed condition. One I have serious reservations about. But the player is almost ready to rock-n-roll as soon as I rebuild the pneumatics on the roll motor.

And I do dislike spinets in general, but am willing to tune them to get as much musicality as they can offer. Voicing helps. Some Baldwin Acrosonics are OK, but I loathe the Winter straight-string spinets with their tone-deaf bass register....
 
Scott 222-D and Fisher X-1000

Both are finished. The 222-D is a great little amp. All Telefunkens in this one except the 5AR4. Look at the size of those OPT for a 6BQ5 output stage. And it sounds outstanding. It's also EXTREMELY clean and shiny. I love these Scott pieces.

The Fisher X-1000 is a rare PP EL34 integrated. This example needed its bias supply rebuilt. I also rebuilt the DC heater supply for the phono stage. It clipped at 50WPC, which is a ton of power for a tube integrated. I was going to try it out with a pair of AR3a's, but my friend picked the unit up today.
 

Attachments

  • SMALL  Dsc05533.jpg
    SMALL Dsc05533.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 19
  • SMALL  Dsc05536.jpg
    SMALL Dsc05536.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SMALL Dsc05534.jpg
    SMALL Dsc05534.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 17
  • SMALL  Dsc05543.jpg
    SMALL Dsc05543.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 16
  • SMALL  Dsc05546.jpg
    SMALL Dsc05546.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 23
Luxman L2

Yesssss ! I bought this very very nice unit today for $25.... t had the left fuse burned... What a great sound ! I know what I'm talking about. This integrated amp is really really GOOD !
 
Empty at the present...But not for long..
 

Attachments

  • bench7.JPG
    bench7.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 39
I just finished a Sansui 771 restoration. I now have an 881 that I will recap and should clean up nicely.
 
Back
Top Bottom