• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Will my Pioneer SX-650 drive a pair of HPM-900

archosu

New Member
I have a Pioneer sx-650 and just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-900’s for $20. They do need refoamed but a steal never the less. Will my sx-650 have enough to drive these speakers.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Pioneer sx-650 and just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-900’s for $20. They do need refoamed but a steal never the less. Will my sx-650 have enough to drive these speakers.
At 92.5 db sensitive I would think 35watts should be able to push these very well, my little 35 watt Kenny pushes my 96db Klipsch to concert levels without breaking a sweat.
 
Wow what a steal price on eBay is so high I’d rather buy a different used brand, or new speakers. Hope I ever see high end vintage speakers that cheap .
Congrats!!!:banana:
 
At 92.5 db sensitive I would think 35watts should be able to push these very well

At 35 W your receiver might make its non-linear distortions audible.

Have you paid heed to the fact that its non-linear distortions “0.05%” are mentioned for 1 W and 18 W, and for 35 W (if the acoustical parameters of your listening room and your personal sound level preferences make you need such an output power) they are already “0.3%”, that, for a TRANSISTOR power amp, is high, and may become audible depending on personal human sensitivity to them.
 
I have a Pioneer sx-650 and just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-900’s for $20. They do need refoamed but a steal never the less. Will my sx-650 have enough to drive these speakers.


It will drive them just fine and they will sound great.....enjoy!
 
I have a Pioneer sx-650 and just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-900’s for $20. They do need refoamed but a steal never the less. Will my sx-650 have enough to drive these speakers.

Hello, Archosu - welcome to AK.

What the others have said - your SX-650 will have no problem driving the HPM-900s.

Enjoy!

GeeDeeEmm

Interweb: Pioneer HPM-900
obraz_461.jpg
 
One variable that needs to be looked at is how big is your listening room. Is it a small bedroom or a huge full basement? It may be fine in the small room and inadequate for the big one. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to give it a try.
 
It would have to be a room much larger than the average house would have for that combo to be anywhere near inadequate. Of course there are different versions of "adequate" but I will go out on a limb and say for an average size living room that combo will sound great.
 
Does pioneer even make speakers this high end anymore? Ribbon tweeters?
eBay prices were way to high , congrats on this deal of a lifetime!!!
Shouldn’t take much power for these speakers.
Do they have a big soundstage?
 
Does pioneer even make speakers this high end anymore? Ribbon tweeters?
eBay prices were way to high , congrats on this deal of a lifetime!!!
Shouldn’t take much power for these speakers.
Do they have a big soundstage?

I believe that Pioneer only deals with home theater type speakers now. They have a huge line of car stereos and speakers. My wifes 2013 Scion XB has a factory Pioneer six speaker system that is surprisingly nice.

All of the HPM series speakers I have heard sound very nice.
 
With your Pioneer receiver.....
Just drive them but, please, don't push them.

As in....

Any amplifier can drive any ( almost ) set of speakers....

It's how the receiver does it that counts....

...And the receiver is driven by... well ... you.

So, be careful and avoid overdriven signals to your.... score !
 
While it can to a degree, you really need something more powerful, especially if you like loud. Something in the SX 900 family would be ideal. Be careful.
 
Thank you all for your inputs. I did try them in our great room. They do sound great. But as I said they need refoamed. I have ordered a kit and it’s on its way. So until they arrive all I have to listen to is my SX-450 and Bose 141 and this is a good combo in my
 
Thank you all for your inputs. I did try them in our great room. They do sound great. But as I said they need refoamed. I have ordered a kit and it’s on its way. So until they arrive all I have to listen to is my SX-450 and Bose 141 and this is a good combo in my


Well there you go! There is a reason they sold so many of those receivers: they drove speakers like yours just fine for 90% of the people that bought them. There is no more reason to be any more careful than with any other set up. Post some pictures when you are done and let us know how the re foaming went.
 
Back
Top Bottom