• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2010 Camaro, Challenger or Mustang?

dread31

Addicted Member
Of these three, what do you think?

I have an '05 Mustang, but that Challenger is lookin' mighty sweet.

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
I also own an 2005 Mustang but would have to say I like the Challenger better. I think the new Camaro's are ugly....
 
as the current owner of a LAST generation camaro z-28; I would, and very well might might purchase a new camaro. I resisted the urge to buy a G-8/GTO based on the new camaro being released this year.
once terms are favorable enough, there may just be one in my immediate future:yes:
tal
 
I have not bought a new car since 1988.

I have become the kind of old person I dreamed of running into when I was young. You know the kind. The one who has all kinds of pristine 30-40 year old autos parked in the garage and never used them.

I am down to only having 7 cars now (an all time low for me).

.
 
Not that I'm a Dodge-guy, but I think that the lines of the new Challenger are even better than the original--cool looking car. The body lines (to my eye) of the Camaro look a bit bunched-up, and I think that the Mustang body size is a bit too large for my taste.

Now then, let's talk about the Ford GT :naughty:
 
From an investment standpoint, I'd go with the Camaro, then the Challenger, then the Mustang.

If the past 50 some-odd years are any indication, the Chevy is the winner as far as long term investment. 1955 thru 1972 Chevys are ALL worth a bucket of money. Once all the Chevys are gone, collectors seem to go for the Chrysler muscle cars. Ford has built some really nice, really valuable cars, but few and far between. They always made a real "cheap" version that floods the market. The new Mustangs are like (pardon me) @$$holes - everyone has one. I have a good friend who bought one of the higher value/horsepower '06 (?) Mustangs that has 3000 miles on is that is now for sale. He's asking a bit over low book and has no takers. Why is he selling it? He ordered a new Camaro.

As far as quality, I would suspect they are all similar.
 
Well as a died in the wool Chevy guy, and having looked at all of these options I have to say Challenger#1 Camaro#2 and Mustang#3. As far as the GT40 goes they are horrible for ride quality but they are fast. Now if you could handle the Super Cobra Mustang thats a horse of another color.
 
Camaros have the best engine package, and are fastest. Suspension works better on paper than asphalt. Interiors are horrible, with tank slits for windows.

Challenger is the heaviest, and that kills performance. Beautiful lines, but too big and heavy. Cheap-looking interior.

Mustang has the least power. I preferred the previous one, exterior style-wise, but the interior on this one is fantastic. The car weighs a lot less than the other two, and beats the Challenger, and comes close to the Camaro. The suspension works better on asphalt than on paper.

Best buy? The Camaro V-6. The one I'd like? The Mustang GT, because I have to live in it daily, and interior and ride are important.

...but what I really want is a 2010 Focus RS.
 
Last edited:
Of these three, what do you think?

I have an '05 Mustang, but that Challenger is lookin' mighty sweet.

Dave

Challenger a distant third. Too big and heavy to do more than straight line stuff.

A month ago, I would have said Camaro first, but having driven a 2010 Mustang GT, I have to say it is the most balanced and polished Mustang ever. I mean, near enough BMW 3 series driving manners. (I also just drove nigh onto every combination of new 3 series a few weeks back.) That new Mustang is just incredible!
 
Well, I've checked out and driven the Dodge and the Ford and...........

To me it comes down to this;

1). The Camaro is the fastest, yes, true dat. It would also have the highest resale value, true, true. But, to my eye, it's ugly inside and out. Butt ugly. Batmobile ugly. Like something out of a cartoon. So, I didn't bother with the test drive. But, if the batmobile look is what grabs you, then the Camaro is your car.

2). The Mustang looks a bit better on the outside, has a really nice interior, is the second fastest in the group, and has the best handling of all three. I can tell you it feels like 315 horsepower and then some. Probably because it is about five or six hundred pounds lighter than................

3). The Challenger is, IMO, the prettiest of the three. Due to the weight/size of this beast, the handling resopnse is not quite on par with the Ford or the Chevy, and neither are the speed specs. However, entry and exit are much easier for me, (A 240 lb. behemoth with a bad knee.), and the cab is roomier with more comfortable seating.
So, the Challenger would prolly be a better highway cruiser than the other two. Kind of a high performance/long distance cruiser mix, I would call it. But not quite the pure sportscar the others are.

So, for me that narrows the field down to two...................

Dave
 
Last edited:
I've seen the Camaro from the outside but not the inside and no test drive. Sorry but it is a total turnoff. I drive past a Chevy dealer every morning and evening and the design just is not growing on me regardless of how many times I've seen it.

I've seen both the Mustang and Challenger and the new Mustang is the better looking for me of the two.

As for the Challenger being a straight line driver only, none of the vintage muscle cars could out corner even a MG Midget so not an issue as to the Cahllenger as it meets the original spec.

The Mustang I suspect is the best balanced overall only becasue it is a mainstream car for Ford and has been in continious production so as much continious improvement can go into it as original design. The others are really 1st generation and like most American 1st gen cars seem to need improvements based on the readings and what I'm hearing from the few owners I know.
 
Car and Driver just did a comparo of these three and the Mustang won w/ the lowest HP but best handling and refinement. And performance was real real close.

My 2 cents:
Challenger is by far the best looking.

Camaro - can't believe they didn't round those lines more. It's too teenager for me.

Mustang - don't really like the new styling this year. If it were only 10% smaller.
 
The Camaro for me... Hands down. It's (in my opinion) the very best retro attempt to date, by any manufacturer. It isn't a scaled-down, modernized, greened-up contraption like the PT Cruiser or the miniature Challenger, or the totally toy-looking Prowler with a little Japanese V-6 in it. As far as the engine goes, I do admire the new Chrysler V8 with the electronic valve control, but I'm annoyed that they're still making a big deal and selling point out of the "HEMI" engine. In '52, a hemispherical combustion chamber was a new, interesting thing. Not in 2009. My '79 Toyota pickup has the same hemi combustion chambers, as do most engines made after about 1970. Wow.

The Camaro is a great-looking muscle car that really is one. Now if they add a chrome bumber, that would cause me to go to the dealer!

Charles
 
I must add that I really like the Camaro styling, inside and out. It is bold and unique, and as good design usually is, it is divisive. If eveyone likes it, you're not trying hard enough.
I really respect Chevy for taking a chance with the Camaro. Sales have been incredible (been trying to find one up here to test drive, and the local dealers don't see having any on the lot until October! Everything coming through has been pre-sold).
Bravo to Chevy for doing something unique!

And while I really like the Challenger from some angles (looks great coming up front behind you on the highway), I just find it way to heavy looking from the side view. Just doesn't capture the beauty of the original. Especially on the base model.

ag_09challengerse_frtlt.jpg
 
All three are sweet looking rides; tailor made for baby boomers to relive their youth.

I’m a big Mustang fan but would wait till next year, the Mustang GT is getting a 5.0 32 valve V8 with 400+ HP as standard equipment. That should give the Mustang a power to weight ratio that would put it on top performance wise.
 
Tough decision

I think they are all well done Retro-reminiscient cars. Each has enough design cues from their classic predecessors to evoke fond memories. I can say from having driven all 3 of them as well as their predecessors "back in the day", that all of them would be fun cars to own and drive.

If I had to pick, it would be the Camaro for me, for the following reasons:

1. Almost all of my vehicle purchases have been GM and despite what any of you might have experienced, I have had excellent service from mine. As some of you might recall, I have had one for 37 years, one for 33 years and one for 20 years. Additionally I put about 150,000 miles on each of my Tahoes.

2. It's just flat-out the fastest with the correct option.

3. I believe it will hold it's value best and have the best potential for long-term collector value.

The Challenger has great proportions and I believe I could enjoy it, even though I have never been a Mopar fan. That's just me.

The Mustang certainly gets credit for continuous production for 45 years, even though they certainly had their share of embarrassments. Quite frankly, it's a good-looking and driving car!

I looked at and drove a 2004 GTO yesterday that is a bargain and clean as a pin. The man that owned it kept it in a garage and was fastidious about keeping it clean. I would be sorely tempted to bring it home, but I really have set my sights on a particular roadster. If I find the "right one", which involves a particular color and one that is a "one-owner" car, I'll probably buy it! :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom