• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

DOES YOUR STEREO DO IT'S JOB?

My 20 year old Sony Pre-Pro satisfied. I did not perceive there was anything else out there that could deliver a better result so I had no intention of replacing it; but, two weeks ago it went silent thus causing me to contemplate a new Pre-Pro. Thinking it all out I saw that the old Sony was just accommodating my stereo needs and therefore I began to seek out a new stereo preamplifier, which concluded with the purchase of a new Parasound P6. The P6 was selected over others for it's almost ideal feature set of digital and analog inputs, as well as low and high pass filters for .1 sub output. After hooking the unit up to my components and power amps I expected to get a sound similar to what the Sony delivered. Instead I got the impression that I was getting more detail at low volume from media sources connected to the Parasound's optical inputs and I also sensed better bass management. At any rate, the new P6 performance made me realize, that the 20 year old Sony was not getting me "all that was in the groove to get", proving I did not know that I did not know. The point here is the concept of satisfaction is tied to exposure, experience, ignorance, and trial of means to music other than the status quo means to music. In other words, keep exploring.
 
Last edited:
My “best” system is in the living room (R107/2s, Bryston, spectral, Well Tempered), but it doesn’t get as much use as my basement system that’s constantly evolving &/or just changing... currently ReVox Agora Bs, Luxman C120, Sota Sapphire/Magnepan, and Esoteric SACD/DVD.
The basement room is sorta my man cave (though I hate that expression) so I can just turn off the light & ignore the mess of wires & things, scotch in hand, and RELAX!! It’s fun to rotate equipment, but I always like to have at least one system that is properly sorted - That’s the living room.

btw, the short answer to the OP is yes
 
Last edited:
Yup. 2 amps, 2 pairs of speakers, 2 preamps(sort of), 3 turntable, 2 phono pre's, 1 cd player, 1 cassette player, and 1 tuner all working in harmony.

Enjoy every minute of it.
 
I'm really happy with my main system. It doesn't change much. Kenwood 700m/700c power and preamp. Radford transmission line speakers. I'm mostly just playing stuff off the computer but it goes through my studio recording interface instead of the computer sound card so the quality is really good.
The last change was when I swapped out the Tannoy Berkeley for the Radfords. And it wasn't because I was looking for a change. I'm a full time tech who buys and sells as well, I got the radfords in a deal and liked what I heard. They are a much better match for the amp though, and much more accurate in the low end.

Other sources are a Pioneer PL-600 turntable, a Kenwood 600T tuner, and a Tascam CD-501 cd player. And a basic yamaha CD changer for when I want to put on a bunch of CDs and not listen too critically.

I have a living room system I haven't used too much. Pioneer SX-850, Yamaha NS-690 speakers. Dual 1245, and another yamaha CD changer. It does what I need it to do. I recapped the pioneer. Even my roomate who is used to an ihome bluetooth speaker noticed the difference when I did. (the iHome sounds like a cheap 3 way speaker with a dead woofer and a dead tweeter)
 
98%. I bought some Linkwitz- Riley crossover kits to try over 3 years ago to substitute for the old passive crossovers from the 1970s Audio Magazine. Some have suggested these old ones " couldn't possibly work," but...
Anyway, someday I'll get around to it. Even got an old HP fancy power supply for them...However, I just might enjoy everything till the grim reaper shows up and hollers "NEXT!"
 
I had stopped listening to both systems. The downstairs theater system and the upstairs system. I started listening to both and realized that the downstairs system(its a hometheater system with PSB Stratus Goldi's mains and 3 subwoofers) sounds really good but a wire had come off of one of the speakers and the Cinepro amp so I had to fix that. Also spent a frustrating 20 minutes trying to figure out how to listen to SACDs using my onkyo multichannel analog input. But once I figured it out, it was glorious listening to an SACD of Reiner and CSO playing Scheherazade.
The upstairs system consists of Salk V3 speakers, a Technics 5 disc changer and HK T25 turntable driven by a Yamaha RX-530 receiver. Once I started listening to it, I realized that the right channel was lower in level than the left and there was some distortion in the right channel caused by the bass boost switch. I deoxed the receiver but it didn't help.
So, I have a Yamaha B4 on the way and a Emotiva pre-amp. I also have a tube preamp coming from China that I got on ebay along with a Darlington lab MM phono pre amp.
Hopefully that will take care of the sound system for a while.
 
My living room system consists of a low-powered (35 WPC) middle of the road Fisher receiver, a CD player and a great pair of Silverline Sonatina IIs and it sounds remarkably good. It’s the system I absolutely don’t mess with, however, my basement system is where all of the experimentation takes place.
 
Yes it does as it's job during the pandemic is to keep my enthusiasm level up for my cardio and exercise routine. I can't go anywhere but thankfully I can work out to good music to keep my sanity.
 
No complaints here after taking 8 years to get what I wanted together.
Now I am in the cull phase selling off the extra things I no longer need that's been removed from the system.
 
Back
Top Bottom