• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Grainger49 said:
Ok now!

Nice bunker!
Thanks! There is also a george T skaggs barrel proof, an Eagle Rare 17 yr, and 2 eagle rare 10 yr old single barrel in there as well. Open? Elijah Craig 12 yr, Elija Craig 18 year, Eagle rare 10 year as well as one of the 17 year. One of the George T Staggs is also open ( 141 proof!) also open is a weller 12 year old, and an inexpensive bottle of Rebel Yell, which unfortunately has been knocked down to 80 proof, I was sad to see. Last but not least, is one of the Bernhiem (spelling?) wheat whiskeys, not really bourbon, but good stuff anyway! What can I say? Iwas born in Kentucky and love bourbon! There are many whose collections are far more extensive than my little bunker, check www.straightbourbon.com, an interesting site for all things bourbon.

Cheers and good day,

Russellc
 
My two favs

While I generally prefer a single malt scotch from Islay, such as Laphroaig, a friend introduced me to Bourbon about 10 years ago...now I must admit I have placed a couple of the Bourbons right at the top of my list of drinks to have while listening to McIntosh gear::music:

* Booker's True Barrel 126 Proof:thmbsp:

* Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23 Year Old:thmbsp:

I acquired a bottle of the 'Pappy' in 2002...it was in Chicago and not cheap...I bought it to celebrate my retirement. It is the smoothest bourbon I have ever tasted.

As good as the 'Pappy' is...I prefer the Bookers for most occasions...something about the taste that just makes it my favorite.
 
That Booker will tear your damn head off and make you forget where you're at.I like it too. Whew $50 a bot.
 
Yah, but makes everthing you do remember seem better.

The Bookers is $38 bottle where I live....still not cheap, but I go through maybe 4 bottles a year.

The 'Pappy 23 year old' cost me $250....ouch.
 
For some reason my personal preference is for Bourbons under 100 proof. Those higher alcohol contents have made me hop, skip and get nekkid! And today that isn't a pretty sight.

Let's hear it for just being happy (not nekkid)!
 
Fighting Cock is pretty drinkable. Admittedly I bought it to get the label off the bottle, but it was a pleasant sip.

Jim Beam Rye is very tasty to me, but since it isn't corny enough to be an official bourbon, looks like that doesn't count. I like rye.

So it's no shock Canadian Club is my favorite whiskey. I'll take it over any of the fancier Canadian blends, except maybe Forty Creek three-grain. Try that stuff if you see it.

I like original Jim Beam fine too. Truth is it tastes as good to me as Knob Creek and Maker's Mark.

Is Early Times a bourbon? Not bad at all for a bargain brand, but you don't see it around much. I mean it's almost as cheap as (choke, cough) Kessler but I'd take it over Jack ANY day.

PROBABLE FIGHTIN' WORDS AHEAD:
I do not like the taste of Jack Daniel in the least. I know taste is subjective but to my tongue it's in the same category as Budweiser, a product that owes its success to reasons other than flavor.
 
Could you post a pic of the Fighting Cock label?

And taste is a personal thing. Everyone's is different. That is what makes the world go 'round.
 
So far I haven't tried anything that comes close to Maker's Mark, but I will have to give Blanton's a try, along with some of the others mentioned here that I haven't tried yet.
 
Lately, I have taken more than a liking to Labrot and Graham's Woodford Reserve. :naughty:


WoodfordReserve1.jpg





:thmbsp:
 
john_w said:
So far I haven't tried anything that comes close to Maker's Mark, but I will have to give Blanton's a try, along with some of the others mentioned here that I haven't tried yet.


See the above posting, that stuff is great!
 
john_w said:
Great. Now you guys are going to turn me into an alcoholic audioholic! :nono:

That's because we already know, as good as your stereo may sound. It sounds even better while you're drinking.
 
Uncle Paul said:
Drunk many and enjoyed most. Always keep coming back to Jim Beam Black.

Been a Beam drinker for quite a while, having some right now as a matter of fact and just never took the plunge on the Black until your referral...:yes: . Thanks!.....R1
 
I have to ask, is it me and my wife, Paula, or has anyone else had this experience?

We were at a restaurant, Paula ordered Jack and Diet Coke, I ordered Jack and water. When her order came, she tasted it, and said it had no Bourbon in it (I should mention the lime slice on the side of the glass here). I tasted it, I couldn't tell that there was a drop of Bourbon. My drink was fine.

We called the server, and got sworn to that there was Jack Daniels and Diet coke in the drink. (We were skeptical because the last order at this place they gave us a blended instead of Bourbon.)

Later we tried Bourbon and "Diet Coke with Lime" (remember, there was a lime garnish on the drink above, it turns out to be important).

In the Lime DC neither of us can tell if there is Bourbon. The flavor of the drink is ruined!

Anyone else have any experience with this?????
 
Grainger49 said:
Anyone else have any experience with this?????

I think there's a lesson there: don't mix Bourbon with anything other than water :nono: (well, maybe just a little sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters).
 
Back
Top Bottom