• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I am so old I remember........

Also Listening to that newfangled FM radio stuff like KLOS said:
KMET, was it them that did on Sundays the "seventh day" I think it was called, where they played 7 albums all the way through with no commercials.
 
I grew up a few blocks from Wrigley Field when I was a kid in the 60's and we used to wait for the Cub players come out an hour or so after the game to get in their cars & go home outside the stadium. We rarely had a buck to enter the stadium to watch the game.

They would always make the time to autograph baseball cards etc. and talk to us kids. Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks my baseball idol back then was there for us as well as Billy Williams & Ron Santo to name a few. Jack Brickhouse the Cub's announcer was one of the nicest guys you could meet. He really loved chatting with us kids. The players couldn't possibly do that these days without getting attacked or something. Those were the days.
 
I grew up a few blocks from Wrigley Field when I was a kid in the 60's and we used to wait for the Cub players come out an hour or so after the game to get in their cars & go home outside the stadium. We rarely had a buck to enter the stadium to watch the game.

They would always make the time to autograph baseball cards etc. and talk to us kids. Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks my baseball idol back then was there for us as well as Billy Williams & Ron Santo to name a few. Jack Brickhouse the Cub's announcer was one of the nicest guys you could meet. He really loved chatting with us kids. The players couldn't possibly do that these days without getting attacked or something. Those were the days.

I lived in central Illinois during that time; around the Pekin-Peoria area. My dad used to take me to Cubs games in the summer at least once or twice every summer. He showed me where to wait, like you, for the players to emerge after the game. I met my hero, Ron Santo, and I also got a photo (since lost it) of Jim Hickman.

My grandmother on my dad's side was engaged to Jack Brickhouse but broke up with him and married my grandfather instead.
 
Railway carriages with corridors up one side and separated compartments like in old films. The last time I was in one was from Glasgow to Oban early 1980's. Cars with wipers that pointed down instead of up and had trafficators which popped out the side (I called them "dog's ears indicators"). Bus conductors especially one big woman who ruled the bus with an iron fist. Butcher shops that had sides of beef hanging right next to you as you stood in the sawdust covered floor in the cue. Going to school in short trousers in the snow.
 
Railway carriages with corridors up one side and separated compartments like in old films. The last time I was in one was from Glasgow to Oban early 1980's. Cars with wipers that pointed down instead of up and had trafficators which popped out the side (I called them "dog's ears indicators"). Bus conductors especially one big woman who ruled the bus with an iron fist. Butcher shops that had sides of beef hanging right next to you as you stood in the sawdust covered floor in the cue. Going to school in short trousers in the snow.

Lovely :) - and cars with a fold down luggage rack on the back & straps to secure the cases.
 
I lived in central Illinois during that time; around the Pekin-Peoria area. My dad used to take me to Cubs games in the summer at least once or twice every summer. He showed me where to wait, like you, for the players to emerge after the game. I met my hero, Ron Santo, and I also got a photo (since lost it) of Jim Hickman.

My grandmother on my dad's side was engaged to Jack Brickhouse but broke up with him and married my grandfather instead.

Cool! Makes sense Brickhouse was from Peoria alright.

I had Ernie's an autographed baseball card but probably traded it for a model car or something or other back then, duh. I lived in that area for 45 years and don't miss it now. Used to be a great blue collar neighborhood with German heritage and now it's a mecca for yuppie's & tourist's. It all changed in the mid-eighties or so. I left in 2k. I'm in Mesa. AZ now. The Cubs culture is big here with their spring training camp. Their building a new stadium here with the likeness of Wrigley that should be ready in the of spring 2014, although I don't follow sports much anymore.
 
My dad & a buddy of his had a plane, & I remember standing in the cockpit door of airliners, & asking reasonably intelligent questions of the pilots...Sometimes getting invited in for a minute or 2 before the plane took off.. Imagine if a kid did that today...
 
My dad & a buddy of his had a plane, & I remember standing in the cockpit door of airliners, & asking reasonably intelligent questions of the pilots...Sometimes getting invited in for a minute or 2 before the plane took off.. Imagine if a kid did that today...

Was it this one?
 

Attachments

  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10270,_Flugschiff_Dornier_Do_X.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10270,_Flugschiff_Dornier_Do_X.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 18
A/V carts in school. 16mm film projectors that the teachers would set up before leaving class to go hang in the teacher's lounge and smoke cigarettes.
 
:thmbsp:Yes. The first that happened was take one.pass the rest back. Then the teacher said don't smell them. Next we all put them to our faces and inhaled.
 
:thmbsp:Yes. The first that happened was take one.pass the rest back. Then the teacher said don't smell them. Next we all put them to our faces and inhaled.

Between inhaling asbestos, sniffing the dittos, eating school paste and rolling mercury around with our fingers, I'm surprised any of us made it this far.
 
Real steam locomotives billowing black smoke as they climbed a trestle outside my bedroom window.
Horse-drawn Ice cart delivering to each apartment building.
Coal chutes from the truck to the furnace rooms below the buildings.
Air Wick, with an actual wick you pulled up from the bottle.

Disney World when it first opened - my wife an I could go in our VW Bug, pay for parking and get a book of tickets (A, B, C, D, E rides!) and eat a meal for a grand total of $25.00!!:yes:
 
Between inhaling asbestos, sniffing the dittos, eating school paste and rolling mercury around with our fingers, I'm surprised any of us made it this far.

My old high school (torn down in the 1970s, I believe) had a lot of weird machinery in the upstairs attics. Tesla coils, diathermy machines, etc. I'm assuming that they had been used in science classes in the 1930s and 1940s. I doubt that any of the teachers in the high school knew how to use them. As I recall, the teachers at my high school didn't know anything about anything, but then, I WAS a teenager.

Anyway we sure as heck didn't know what these machines were (except for what we could read on the identification plates). Some of them included quite sizeable vials of mercury, which we removed, eventually broke and carried around with us in pill bottles to amaze and amuse ourselves and other students. One of our favourite activities was coating dimes with mercury, which would make them all weird and super-shiny. We carried these dimes in our pockets for months. I think that someone finally put a lock on the attic door and/or hauled the equipment to the dump or sold it.

Some of us came into contact with a lot of mercury -- although fortunately, we knew enough not to put it in our mouths. At the age of 70, I'm still waiting for the axe to fall
 
Was it this one?

Uhh, no. But it usually was on planes you DON'T see too much of today-DC-9s, 737s, 727s...DC-9s always seemed "Rinky-Dink" to me, I MUCH preferred the Boeings... I even got to fly on a 707 once...Cramped, dirty, ready for the boneyard....Must have been in the mid-80s when I flew on that old bird..
 
I'm so old I remember 10 and 12 cent comic books, penny candy that sold for a penny, the milkman delivering milk in glass bottles stored in the metal milk box on the porch, black and white TV, TV going off the air at midnight with the playing of the national anthem, test patterns in the early morning hours, and most of all, getting change back for a complete meal at McDonald's when you handed them a buck! lol
 
Back
Top Bottom