• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mvp871

ron-c said:
The MVP871 supports PAL 576i and 576P plus the HD video rates of 720P, 1080I and 1080P...

Thanks,
Ron-C

I was hoping for 1080p but the press release says:

available as 480i and 480p on the Components output, and up to 1080i on the HDMI output

:scratch2:
 
Ron,

Out of curiousity, why no support in the 871 for 1080p vs. having to feed it through a scaler? Is there an issue with the current HDMI technology that prevented the 1080p?

Thx,

Rob
 
Release is wrong...1080P output on HDMI through the internal scaler. I am 100% positive in this as our projector and the front panel readout of the 871 both show 1080P as being sent and received.


Thanks,
Ron-C
 
ron-c said:
Release is wrong...1080P output on HDMI through the internal scaler. I am 100% positive in this as our projector and the front panel readout of the 871 both show 1080P as being sent and received.

Thanks for correcting the press release goof.

ron-c said:
You will need top flight HDMI cables to pass 1080P and watch your distance.

In our case, there is a good distance between where the electronics and TV (future LCD/plasma screen) are located. Might be a good reason to locate the MVP871 right next to the screen and run a long digital cable to the surround processor.

Rob
 
Copied from the McIntosh website:

The MVP861 plays them all: CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, CD-R and CD-RW discs. A Dolby Digital and DTS decoder output stereo and 5.1 audio surround sound...

With the arrival of the MVP871 and HDMI [v. 1.3 I assume], what is left besides Blu-ray?

I ask because the only piece of equipment on my McIntosh wish list that raises a concern for longevity is the DVD source unit. Build wise, I am confident the MVP871 will last for many many years. That is not in question. It will be amazing in every respect, as always. However, I do worry about the seemingly endless introduction of new video formats.

If all of the forth coming DVD software have a menu of format choices on the DVD [like they do with pan &scan or widescreen, DD or DPL] or every movie was brought to the market in various video formats, there is no concern whatsoever. I just hope for backwards compatability so I can invest [which is the perfect word to describe a McIntosh purchase] in a long term DVD player.

Do you think I am reaching for a hope that is simply unrealistic on the video side of the equation?

Sincerely,
Matt
 
I don't know about anyone else, but my Video Projection with DVD's is so stunning (those that have visited me will concur) I could care less what other format comes down the pike. That's why I invested in the Kaleidescape.

I already think I am taking a little away from the movie, ie: I can spot flys on actors in Tombstone, pierced ears on actors playing the President & spot every stunt man filling in for actors in action movies. Any more resolution would be a detriment IMO.
 
With all my respect masterlu, how can a 1080p source (with 60 or 24 frames/sec.) be worse than 480i/60 ?

Even my heavily compressed 1080i digital TV looks far better than DVD (with DCDi upscaling) on my 720p projector (both with HDMI 1.1). There are a few more compression artefacts with the TV (that wouldn't happen on a 50gb hirez disc) but overall the picture is much much better than the DVD.

So I think a bit like Matt, the 871 isn't a great choice for many people like me, on some kind of budget. Masterlu you are an exception, you will buy a hirez player from mac if they get one out in two years, but if most people buy a mac player today, it will be hard for them to justify a new one so quick.

The same goes with audio. If well done, 96k/24b will sound alot better than 44.1k/16b.

No hard fealings masterlu, I respect you alot. Just trying to explain another way of seeing all this.
 
I understand what Masterlu is saying. Watching the Blu-Ray movies, even on my smallish 34" high-def TV in the bedroom, you can see the pores on the skin of the actors. At one point you gotta wonder, how much is too much? Most wedding photographers usually use a softening filter for up close shots and portraits, makes people more glamorous and hides imperfections, this high-rez stuff, makes all the imperfections stand out. Not sure I want to see James Woods for example up close, even on a 60" screen @1080p.
 
PHC1 said:
I understand what Masterlu is saying. Watching the Blu-Ray movies, even on my smallish 34" high-def TV in the bedroom, you can see the pores on the skin of the actors. At one point you gotta wonder, how much is too much? Most wedding photographers usually use a softening filter for up close shots and portraits, makes people more glamorous and hides imperfections, this high-rez stuff, makes all the imperfections stand out. Not sure I want to see James Woods for example up close, even on a 60" screen @1080p.


My point exactly, I couldn't possibly be any happier with my 10' Video Reproduction from plain old DVD's.

I will of course get the MVP871, but won't part from the DVD format. :thmbsp:

BTW, on Apollo 13; I have been able to freeze frame a scene where Bill Paxton is taking pitures with a Hasselblad ELM. I can read the serial number on the camera!

Yes, I also collect Blad's :yes:
 
Yes, I also collect Blad's
Cool, I didn't know that! While I could afford a body, the lenses, I could not.:no: My wife's uncle had some Russian copies of lenses that worked and I spent a few years taking medium format pics. Awesome stuff! Yet another medium that is all but extinct now. Even 'Blad has a digital body now.:tears:
 
PHC1 said:
Cool, I didn't know that! While I could afford a body, the lenses, I could not.:no: My wife's uncle had some Russian copies of lenses that worked and I spent a few years taking medium format pics. Awesome stuff! Yet another medium that is all but extinct now. Even 'Blad has a digital body now.:tears:


Russian lenses on a Blad? :scratch2:

Nothing beats Carl Zeiss. It also helps when you're buying everything right. I own four Blads & half a dozen lenses.

Also very heavy into Nikon, & Leica.

I have a strong photographic background.
 
I used to own a Contax with Carl Zeiss lenses. I've given up trying to fight the digital revolution, there is only one local store that I know of around here that can process film these days. I've bought a Canon 30D and am about to buy a few Canon "L" lenses to get back into photography.
 
PHC1 said:
I used to own a Contax with Carl Zeiss lenses. I've given up trying to fight the digital revolution, there is only one local store that I know of around here that can process film these days. I've bought a Canon 30D and am about to buy a few Canon "L" lenses to get back into photography.


Good move, I have both & still like film. :yes:
 
PHC1 said:
I've given up trying to fight the digital revolution, there is only one local store that I know of around here that can process film these days.

We also faced the same processing issue. For several years, we shot all of my wife's sculptures with a 35mm camera. We used all the lighting and backdrop goodies in our studio to shoot slides. There was a high end developer in Manchester, NH. Without any indicators or even a partial warning, we get a call from the film developer letting us know that they are closing their door in two weeks. Done. Finished. We were left with no other option. We shifted to digital. That developer was it for NH.

I am hack by most standards, but the digital images on her website seem to be working. People, thankfully, are able to look past my images to see the sculpture(s) as a 3D bronze.

I must say that digital is my preference. The immediacy of being able to see and examine the shot. The simplicity of downloading a digital image onto a website. The ability to make subtle changes in the lighting, the angle of the shot, and/or the composition are wonderful advantages over the guess and pray approach of 35mm processing. I can remember many disappointments as I left the store in Manchester realizing that we either accepted the images as taken, or we [uugh!] re-shot the entire portfolio for a particular sculpture.
 
More info will be out on the MVP871 this week. There are many ways to look at this universal player such as a great audio platform that plays all CD types, all SACD types, all DVD-A disks, all HDCD disks, all MP3 disks, etc. The DACS are top of the line 24/192 on all 6 channels. Subwoofer filters are built in and configurable at 5 different crossover frequencies. 5.1 audio out, balanced stereo out and unbalanced stereo out are supported in analog.
The power supply is huge and optimized for audio and simultaneous video output without any switching power supplies.
The video side will play all PAL or NTSC disks, Code-1, and any disk can be outputted over composite, S, component, or HDMI (RGB). HDMI data rates are 480i/576i. 480P/576P, 720P, 1080i, and 1080P. Video up-conversion is performed with the REON solution. Separate adjustments may be stored in memory for HDMI and component.
So the 871 is the universal disk spinner that allows enjoyment of a huge catalog of disks where they will sound and look better in the majority of systems.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Back
Top Bottom