• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your flea-watts amps!

Aha Guys ! :)

After looking to all your (nice ! :cool:) pictures, I think I am still and again the winner in the double category : Flea Power plus Flea Size ! :D

AV0BQb-P1180893.jpg


BV0BQb-P1180867.jpg


AV0BQb-P1180859.jpg


BV0BQb-P1180814.jpg


For how long ? :idea:;)

T

That is one of the cutest little amps I’ve ever seen.
 
I'd be pleased to build an SET with a 45, but prices of these tubes are way too high ! :(

T
45’s are expensive but out of the 10 tube amps I own, the 45 is the only one that has caused me to turn down the music because I thought I heard something behind me. Really spread-out soundstage.
Right now, there are 45’s on ‘the bay’ from reputable and well known sellers in the $50 range that have tested high.
 
45’s are expensive but out of the 10 tube amps I own, the 45 is the only one that has caused me to turn down the music because I thought I heard something behind me. Really spread-out soundstage.
Right now, there are 45’s on ‘the bay’ from reputable and well known sellers in the $50 range that have tested high.

You are right... That's what one of my 45 Afficionado Audio Friend told me.
He has a gigantic 105dB/W/m horns and wall of 15 or 18" speakers multiamplified installation, though.

OK : Mine is 93-95dB/W/m monoamplification at best, but I listen to moderate volumes and 1W is no issue at all for me ! If I want more power, I can rely on other amps I have...

Maybe I put the trigger to go for an "Upper-Premium" SET with 45 NOS / 45 FullMusic or TJ or EML / 45B EML... Why not an "Ultimate 45" amp... U-45 ? That would be able to use any model of 45 tube, with some internal parameters switches...

Just a question : Any of you already tested a 45 on a low plate load of 3500 ohms ?

T
 
I would not recommend anything less the 5k plate load for a 45. It is essentially 1/2 of a 2A3 and 2.5k is recommended minimum for a 2A3.
 
I would not recommend anything less the 5k plate load for a 45. It is essentially 1/2 of a 2A3 and 2.5k is recommended minimum for a 2A3.

Yes, that's true - that said, at 3.5K, it would not be very dramatic, I think : a bit more H2 distortion... The optimal load on the 45 graph below is 3.8-3.9K :

1754868391513.png

I say this because I may be able to buy a pair of TAMURA F-7002 (3.5K / 4-8-16R) Permalloy core output transformers :

1754868568140.png

T
 
Yes, that's true - that said, at 3.5K, it would not be very dramatic, I think : a bit more H2 distortion... The optimal load on the 45 graph below is 3.8-3.9K :

View attachment 3571876

I say this because I may be able to buy a pair of TAMURA F-7002 (3.5K / 4-8-16R) Permalloy core output transformers :

View attachment 3571880

T
Nice permalloy OPTs! I've used those with SE300Bs.

DSC08195.jpg
Right now they're serving in my plate choke loaded 6A6 > 2A3 amp.

I've played around with the 45 since the 90s and to my ears, it sounds best with a 5K output transformer. Over 5K, the sound becomes too lean, under 5K, I lose focus and definition.

DSC02103.jpeg
My Simple 245 with Tamura F475s and 75 input triodes.
 
Last edited:
Optimum plate load is a compromise and each person who builds a 45 amp will need to consider what they are willing to sacrifice to for their optimum plate load.

It's a balance between output power and THD.
 
My $80 CAD Single Ended 6BQ5 amp.

I have reflowed all the solder joints and cleaned the socket pin holders and it sounds so good now.

It is a mystery amp, but I have this info:

Output Transformers: 345 352 18
Power Transformer:1047390-7 (DYL4)

AI is telling me this is a modified Magnovox console pull, most likely 8600 series (8601 or 8602?). Weirdly, it has no preamp tube(s).

And the tube rectifier is gone - there must be some sort of solid state rectifier underneath? And does anyone know what model this is (or was)?

IMG_5604.jpegIMG_5606.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Hi DIY brothers,
Here are my 2A3 monoblocks.
The driver tube is an E180F strapped as a triode, running at 175V and 12mA on the anode. The iron is all Hashimoto: A-105 for the interstage and H-20-3.5K for the output transformers.
I went with 2A3 AC filaments, and the hum is only about 1.3 mV. What do you guys think, does it look OK?
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260714171546_Nero_AI_Object_Remover.jpeg
    IMG20260714171546_Nero_AI_Object_Remover.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG20260714171532.jpg
    IMG20260714171532.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG20260714171525(1).jpg
    IMG20260714171525(1).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi DIY brothers,
Here are my 2A3 monoblocks.
The driver tube is an E180F strapped as a triode, running at 175V and 12mA on the anode. The iron is all Hashimoto: H-105 for the interstage and H-20-3.5K for the output transformers.
I went with 2A3 AC filaments, and the hum is only about 1.3 mV. What do you guys think, does it look OK?
beautiful
 
Hi DIY brothers,
Here are my 2A3 monoblocks.
The driver tube is an E180F strapped as a triode, running at 175V and 12mA on the anode. The iron is all Hashimoto: H-105 for the interstage and H-20-3.5K for the output transformers.
I went with 2A3 AC filaments, and the hum is only about 1.3 mV. What do you guys think, does it look OK?
Looks great. I'm a big fan of Hashimoto iron.
 
Here's a couple more:

Red: James Burgess 2A3/45 amp. Bought it on the 'bay in 2022 and it was damaged in shipping. I happen to live about an hour away from the builder so I got it into his capable hands. Original build was done in 1999, he didn't like how he wired it so he completely rebuilt it, and modded it by request to be switchable for 2A3/45 tubes as his current builds sometimes are. About 3 watts. Sounds sublime.

Silver: Flea watt Dennis Had 6EM7 Set Dennis likes to experiment with obscure tubes and this is one of his different efforts. Transformers are HH Scott, I believe. Use it on my bench and it is reliable and sounds quite good.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250908_032013147.jpg
    PXL_20250908_032013147.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 6EM7 Magi SET amp.jpg
    6EM7 Magi SET amp.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 29
The latest here is a 2A3 with Music power supply OPT’s and Psvane Horizons. I’m pretty happy with it. No hum that I can detect, which was a big win for me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom