• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Pioneer "Series 20" Gear Thread!

Retro Stereo

Member
Subscriber
Unfortunately, I don't have any Pioneer Series 20 gear, but I know there are plenty of others out there who do have it! This is the official thread for it, so come on, let's see it!

:yes:





Retro
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, you know how I am about pics (:D), but I do have the turntable (PL-C590 / PLC-590). Love that turntable! :yes: :music: :thmbsp:
There is a pic of the table here, for anyone interested:
http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/PLC590/PLC590.html

Mine has an SME 3009 mounted on it. I had a crack at the PA-5000 tonearm, but passed on it. At that time, I didn't yet have the PL-C590, and had no idea that I would find one soon after. Had I known, I would have anted up for the tonearm, and waited. Win some, lose some. Maybe one day I'll get another chance at the Pioneer tonearm. Still, the TT was originally sold without an arm, and Pioneer mentioned (recommended, one could say) the 3009 for it in some of their literature, so in a sense I still have an "original", even if not a wholly Pioneer, TT.

I've passed up on at least four chances to get the Series 20 amplifier (been tempted each time, but there were always better things at the same time that got picked over it), and --the one that I really regret-- narrowly passed up on the crossover unit, figuring at the time that I wouldn't need it for at least a year, and would have another chance at one. Little did I know that the market was about to shrink, and I would never (up to now) see another one. [me ==> :bash: <== me]
 
Thanks Retro!

All of my Pioneer stuff has been in the SA/TX integrateds and SX receivers. No SPECs. But I did get lucky and found this Pioneers Series 20, PLC-590 turntable. It was the only Pioneer TT from that era that was sold without a tonearm. The matching Pioneer tonearm was the PA-5000. Currently my PLC-590 has a Infinity low mass carbon fiber arm.

It's interesting to note the Pioneer PL-570 was nearly identical in shape and size, but the similarities ended there. I love this thing! :D

PLC590.jpg


PLC590C.jpg
 
Thanks Retro!

All of my Pioneer stuff has been in the SA/TX integrateds and SX receivers. No SPECs. But I did get lucky and found this Pioneers Series 20, PLC-590 turntable. It was the only Pioneer TT from that era that was sold without a tonearm. The matching Pioneer tonearm was the PA-5000. Currently my PLC-590 has a Infinity low mass carbon fiber arm.

It's interesting to note the Pioneer PL-570 was nearly identical in shape and size, but the similarities ended there. I love this thing! :D

PLC590.jpg


PLC590C.jpg

Very NICE!

I'm glad I started this thread, great suggestion!

:thmbsp:




Retro
 
My series 20 gear:
-C-21
-M-22
-D-23
-U-24
-A-27
-PLC-590
-PA-5000
-PA-1000 (just bought, still awaiting arrival)

As you can see I'm a fan of this equipment, together with eXclusives they represent the most beautifull gear ever build by pioneer, at leas to my opinion

IMG_0165.jpg

plc-590finished2.jpg

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg
 
I found the U-24 here locally for a very fair price :yes: sometimes you're just lucky I guess. Actually a while ago I found a second one, sold that one off to another collector here in the Netherlands.
 
All the Series 20 components I have are not signed "series 20" to my opinion this sign was only showed on the Components for the American market..

Furthermore I found out that:
-The F-28 tuner was sold both as 110 volts version as well as a multivoltage variant with FM de-emphasis settings for europe and america. And most likely, it was for sale here in Europe as well. In Japan this tuner is known as the F-007
-The F-26 tuner was only sold in America (not counting Japan) No 220 volts euro or multivoltage version here... (that's to bad since I want one!)
-The A-27 was sold both multivoltage as 110 volts version, I have a multivoltage which I bought in Italy, It seems that this amp was sold here in Europe but very scarcely, I have found no adverts on this amp whatsoever, same as with the F-28. In Japan this amp is named the A-0012
-The M-25 is also America only, was never sold in Europe and therefore no 220 volts versions to be found.

I'll be awaiting the arrival of my PA-1000 tonearm, it has the JP-513 headshell on it marked with the "series 20" logo :D
 
Last edited:
Well I have a SERIES20 C-21 preamp I use it pretty much as a Phono pre and to add a few inputs to my SA-9100. I hope one day to build a dedicated Vinyl only system around it for now I just enjoy it's perfectly clear gain boosting my HOMC cart to line level.
 
All the Series 20 components I have are not signed "series 20" to my opinion this sign was only showed on the Components for the American market..

Furthermore I found out that:
-The F-28 tuner was sold both as 110 volts version as well as a multivoltage variant with FM de-emphasis settings for europe and america. And most likely, it was for sale here in Europe as well. In Japan this tuner is known as the F-007
-The F-26 tuner was only sold in America (not counting Japan) No 220 volts euro or multivoltage version here... (that's to bad since I want one!)
-The A-27 was sold both multivoltage as 110 volts version, I have a multivoltage which I bought in Italy, It seems that this amp was sold here in Europe but very scarcely, I have found no adverts on this amp whatsoever, same as with the F-28. In Japan this amp is named the A-0012
-The M-25 is also America only, was never sold in Europe and therefore no 220 volts versions to be found.

I'll be awaiting the arrival of my PA-1000 tonearm, it has the JP-513 headshell on it marked with the "series 20" logo :D

Watch for these Japanese versions:

A-0012 (A-27)
F-007 (F-28)
XLC-1850 (PLC-590)

Doc
 
jwfabrie, my gawd, that is some very nice Series 20 gear wow.

IMHO Pioneer Series 20 sets the high mark for vintage separates measured purely by sound. The HF clarity and detail, matched with solid bass response from this fast amp is significantly beyond most vintage gear I've had the pleasure to listen to. My M-25 was rescued from a day gig as a DJ amp and is missing the plaque but is otherwise nice. I made the SM settings and have used this setup almost daily pushing my Snell B minors. I'd love to add a A-27 and F-28 to my collection.

P1100083Medium.jpg
 
Last edited:
Siamac shows us where the Series 20 surplus resides, very nice! The A-27 sitting on the cabinet looks positively huge. A-27. yeah I need one.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom