• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

This Showed Up Today

Probably because that's when CDs were the mainstream and that original vinyl copy is rare. Your right, for that kind of money I would get the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master! :thumbsup:

Too bad. As the vinyl is very good. I have not heard the CD version. I really haven't used my CD players much, in the last three years, after I fixed the Sony 2251 and got the Technics. Guess my ears are now attuned to vinyl.

minion - question mark (SMALL white).jpg
 
Last edited:
Not counting in the car, i havent listened to my cd player in months. I did play some cds yesterday in my dvd player though. I have a cd with bonus songs that were terrible on my cd player, the original album was fine. Happened to play it on my dvd player and songs were perfect. I guess there is a difference in digital converters.
 
I hardly ever use the CD players in my cars, either. What with streaming. It's ironic how CD playback didn't seem to have the longevity of vinyl. :)
 
I know this is the vinyl forum, but I will say I love my digital rig. I get excellent playback with digital, but I use a Mac Mini as a server, an Audio Magic Kukama DAC, and an Intona USB isolator along with Wireworld USB cables. As much as I enjoy listening to records I enjoy my digital equally.
 
I know this is the vinyl forum, but I will say I love my digital rig. I get excellent playback with digital, but I use a Mac Mini as a server, an Audio Magic Kukama DAC, and an Intona USB isolator along with Wireworld USB cables. As much as I enjoy listening to records I enjoy my digital equally.

Yeah, but it sounds like you are streaming. Streaming is okay with me, too. Kinda background music for me and family. :) CDs are different. Not many are as good as good vinyl. My opinion, only.
 
So I listened to Diamond Life last night and its very well done, I think these remasters are worth it. On certain songs I thought man the volume is getting high, I better back off before others complain. So I turned it down a bit, and it happened again. I started reading about the remastering process, this is an excerpt

They then utilized Showell's restored Neumann VMS80 cutting lathe in what a statement called an "elaborate, half-speed mastering process." This method promises "exceptionally clean and detailed audio whilst remaining faithful to the band's intended sound." No additional digital limiting was used in the mastering process so the six albums benefit from the advantage of extra clarity and pure fidelity, preserving the dynamic range of the original mixes for the very first time.

Apparently this is true and very noticeable. These songs had far more dynamic range than a normal record. Very well done from what I heard.
 
Oh I can stream through Qobuz, but ripped CDs are better. I have my library on an external hard drive ripped in WAV files.

As do I and believe this is likely the best way to roll....I can not only copy my CDs to the external hard drive for 44/16 quality playback, but I also record my records (some) at 96/24 and that sounds really, really good.....almost indistinguishable from the vinyl itself. I use my Oppo BDP-105 as the playback piece that has ESS Sabre32 DACs on board which are very nice as well. I also use this same external hard drive in the camper, where I have installed a rather reference (if there is such a thing in campers) system and take my laptop with the hard drive plugged into it for playback. Lots of my audio pals that hear this system are pretty stunned at the sound quality, but then I'm only pressurizing about 500cu./ft. so it can get pretty dang "concert-like" in there!

On certain songs I thought man the volume is getting high, I better back off before others complain. So I turned it down a bit, and it happened again.

MP, this seems a bit strange and maybe just because I'm not reading it properly.....does the volume of the recording actually increase? Or, are you just talking about the dynamic range producing really loud segments where the band is peaking in crescendo-like fashion? The one song I can think of on Sade's "Promise" album is "Is It A Crime," where the dynamic range is really accentuated producing a superb bit of listening indeed!!!

Enjoy, and thanks for posting back about what you are hearing!
 
As do I and believe this is likely the best way to roll....I can not only copy my CDs to the external hard drive for 44/16 quality playback, but I also record my records (some) at 96/24 and that sounds really, really good.....almost indistinguishable from the vinyl itself. I use my Oppo BDP-105 as the playback piece that has ESS Sabre32 DACs on board which are very nice as well. I also use this same external hard drive in the camper, where I have installed a rather reference (if there is such a thing in campers) system and take my laptop with the hard drive plugged into it for playback. Lots of my audio pals that hear this system are pretty stunned at the sound quality, but then I'm only pressurizing about 500cu./ft. so it can get pretty dang "concert-like" in there!



MP, this seems a bit strange and maybe just because I'm not reading it properly.....does the volume of the recording actually increase? Or, are you just talking about the dynamic range producing really loud segments where the band is peaking in crescendo-like fashion? The one song I can think of on Sade's "Promise" album is "Is It A Crime," where the dynamic range is really accentuated producing a superb bit of listening indeed!!!

Enjoy, and thanks for posting back about what you are hearing!


I believe he means the dynamic range is much wider , therefore louder than the other cuts out there on vinyl. As I have an original Diamond Life copy I can confirm it does seem louder on certain passages where they must have subdued them on the OP.

Its a really great mastering of the record.

Athanasios
 
Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but,
I've read some mixed reviews about this box set, and not too favorable as far as sound, condition. And that some of his other earlier efforts weren't all that stellar either.

I have a few of the originals on LP, and a couple CDs which I find little to fault.
Sure, this box set will climb in price as they dry up, but I don't care about such, and don't buy music to keep for others. I think this time, I'll keep the $180 in pocket.

Of course as an ole saying goes, YMMV.
 
Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but,
I've read some mixed reviews about this box set, and not too favorable as far as sound, condition. And that some of his other earlier efforts weren't all that stellar either.

I have a few of the originals on LP, and a couple CDs which I find little to fault.
Sure, this box set will climb in price as they dry up, but I don't care about such, and don't buy music to keep for others. I think this time, I'll keep the $180 in pocket.

Of course as an ole saying goes, YMMV.

Given enough time you will find someone to bitch about something. Some folks are just contrarians. From the cuts I have heard its a great sounding box set. and its better than the original standard pressings.

But to each his own. I am picky and I like it. I have an expensive box set of Prince that he released called Emancipation. I love his music, but I will say this has the typical Prince sound, which is not what I would consider a good production. So just because its expensive does not mean I will like it.

I do like this box set from Sade though.
 
I believe he means the dynamic range is much wider , therefore louder than the other cuts out there on vinyl. As I have an original Diamond Life copy I can confirm it does seem louder on certain passages where they must have subdued them on the OP.

Its a really great mastering of the record.

Athanasios

That is pretty much it. Has effortless dynamic range, and the volume just keeps going up and up on those loud passages. When you have a large pair of floorstanders that are 93 dB efficient and 200 wpc on hand, the volume can just keep climbing until someone watching TV is disturbed.
 
Back
Top Bottom