• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

I envy you, being able to hear the Proms like that.

What have you liked best?

s.

Well thats a difficult one? I dont get the time to listen to all of them "on-air" but I set the timer up with a reel to reel to record them to listen later.
I have probably listened to 60% of this years output (including three nights attending the concerts at the Royal Albert Hall myself) Favourites up to now? difficult!
1. 16th July. Rossini William tell. I attended that one!
2. 24th July. Verdi requiem.
3. 15th August. Swan lake. I attended that one!
4. Tonight. Brahms Symphony No. 3. Listening now.

Two I wasnt keen on was the movie themes and Spaggetti western nights.

I have tickets for three other performances including the last night (but safely seated away from the crowds in a box!).
The Beeb still pull out all the stops to transmit only at a really high standard on FM. for radio 3. It seems to be part of the proms culture! and yes, I am lucky to say the least. Mind you, the digital feeds on the BBC I-Player are very good considering?

Listening to the tapes will keep me entertained well into the damp winter. I transfer the best onto cassette and take them to the USA in Oct/ Nov. as we spend time then in our holiday home on Long Island. helps get through the long nights!

I used to do a symulcast (vision on TV and audio on FM.) But now the TV is digital and carries the digital delay its all out of synch! Tried it in digital but its not the same as using a great valve tuner! and the humble Leak Thoughlines take some beating! I am shipping one to the USA to use there as well!
 
I used to do a symulcast (vision on TV and audio on FM.) But now the TV is digital and carries the digital delay its all out of synch! Tried it in digital but its not the same as using a great valve tuner! and the humble Leak Thoughlines take some beating! I am shipping one to the USA to use there as well!

I have great respect for old valve tuners. They usually get voice right. Any rising new soprano?
 
Taking a break from working on this confounding Dual 1219 TT. :gigglemad

Listening to local Jazz station KXJZ's Excellence In Jazz on this little $5 GW find, an Onkyo CR-305TX Compact Receiver --> Boston Acoustics CR6's. Proving (to myself) once again how just excellent "mid-fi" gear can sound, in nearfield.

This station is always a challenge to receive at my location, ever since they switched transmitters with the Classical station, which comes in perfectly. The little Onk is doing an admirable job of receiving it. Listening to Stacy Kent at the moment. :music:

100_4372.JPG
 
I have great respect for old valve tuners. They usually get voice right. Any rising new soprano?

IMHO not as yet, but then the Albert Halls accoustics are hardly ideal for the human voice are they? I am now 60 years old and I, wrongly I suspect, tend to compare new talents with the great voices of the last century. For me I must be talking of Sutherland! I know that new talent tends to be technically very superior but Joan still manages to make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! Its an age thing I believe! Some of my late fathers mono RtoR recordings of her from the late 50s early 60s, taken from the then BBC third programme (now radio 3) using the same Leak tuner that I use now, are amazing! Only once as a very young child did I have the privilage to see one of those broadcasts taking place and thats probably where my love for good music came from. Later as a 24 year old I managed to get myself into the Wathamstow Assembly hall, Hired by Decca to record some late alterations/additions to The Sutherland/Pavarotti. Maria Stuarda. When I play those records I can still hear where they added in those recordings, because the air con in that hall was in the rear of the auditorium and in the recording the hum of the fans appear behind me!
 
For me I must be talking of Sutherland!

Apparently we go back to the same era. My lady was Miss Moffo.
I miss the quality broadcast of the classical station WQXR when its position on the dial was 96.3 mhz NY/NJ. It is now at 105.9 Mhz. Can you receive it when you are in the states.
I was saving up my pennies to buy a top McIntosh tube tuner when the station was moved. :tears: NY times, the owner, sold the spot to raise cash. The broadcast quality is not the same. An expensive tube is therefore not in the cards. I have two mono tubes, Scot 10B and a General Electric FA 11.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD9GZnDTA4k&feature=related
 
Last edited:
reception was 3 bars on the sony this AM and also when I got home from work. It was cloudy - typical marine layer - wonder if that has anything to do with it. I can even get the station at the 3 scale on my sansui TU-717 and on my sansui 7000 though a little staticy, the sony is the best -- very clean sounding. Ever since the other college station I have been listening to - KCSN changed their weekday format to very commercial sounding - what they call AAA format (their sunday shows are still good) I'm having to search farther for quality community radio.

wow listening again to KISL on Catalina Island 200 watt transmitter 200' ASL - 50 miles away from Santa Monica - its just before sunset and I'm getting this station now 3.5 on my TU-717. Its been a humid day but clear w/high clouds. It's interesting that the reception could vary so much - normally its about 0.5 on my Tu-717 meter. right now I'm even picking this station up really clear w/my garage AV nothing special yamaha receiver that just has a 3' straight wire for an antenna (not even a dipole) - normally this one cant get the station at all. B the dj is playing 70's punk - social distortion, sex pistols, etc
 
wow listening again to KISL on Catalina Island 200 watt transmitter 200' ASL - 50 miles away from Santa Monica - its just before sunset and I'm getting this station now 3.5 on my TU-717. Its been a humid day but clear w/high clouds. It's interesting that the reception could vary so much - normally its about 0.5 on my Tu-717 meter. right now I'm even picking this station up really clear w/my garage AV nothing special yamaha receiver that just has a 3' straight wire for an antenna (not even a dipole) - normally this one cant get the station at all. B the dj is playing 70's punk - social distortion, sex pistols, etc


Tropospheric ducting can cause what you are experiencing.

Here's something to study up on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation
 
This describes my situation. I'm about 10 blocks from the beach and about 100' up. The DJ's show is called Buster's Garibaldi Fish Fry, playing Toots and the Maytalls now. The weather is warm and settled



"Ducting can occur on a very large scale when a large mass of cold air is overrun by warm air. ...
Temperature inversions occur most frequently along coastal areas bordering large bodies of water. This is the result of natural onshore movement of cool, humid air shortly after sunset when the ground air cools more quickly than the upper air layers. The same action may take place in the morning when the rising sun warms the upper layers.
... Ideally, a relatively flat land path between the transmitter and receiver is ideal for Stropospheric ducting. Sea paths also tend to produce superior results."


SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
505 PM PDT FRI AUG 26 2011

***UPDATE FOR NEW AVIATION DISCUSSION***

.SYNOPSIS...

THE MOIST MONSOONAL FLOW AROUND THE HIGH PRESSURE WILL GENERATE
POSSIBLE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS INTO SATURDAY...BUT ON SUNDAY...
THE STORMS ARE LIMITED TO THE MOUNTAIN AND DESERT AREAS. THE MOIST
FLOW COMBINED WITH ABOVE SEASONAL NORMALS ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
WILL RAISE THE APPARENT TEMPERATURES UPWARDS TO UNCOMFORTABLE
LEVELS...ESPECIALLY IN THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY VALLEYS AND MOUNTAINS.
A LOW PRESSURE TROUGH WILL APPROACH BY MIDWEEK FOR A GRADUAL
TRANSITION TO A COOLING TREND...BEGINNING EARLY NEXT WEEK.
 
In the garage, listening to KXJZ Excellence In Jazz --> Advent Model 300 Receiver --> Yamaha NS-10M Monitors.

100_4509.JPG
 
Listening right now to..........................................................

KBZU....classic rock station out of Albuquerque, NM.
On my late Father's Sansui TU-7700 tuner.

Steve
 
Tropospheric Propagation sounds like a great name for a band! :D

Loaned one of my KT-8300 tuners to a friend, if I'm gonna hoard the good stuff, I'll share the booty.
 
Fantastic electronica/house/trance/echo space mix on WNUR (Northwestern University) on a Pioneer TX-9500II.
 
WQXR 105.9Mhz NY/NJ. Music for 9/11. We Sat Down In Tears from Bach St Matthews Passion. Glorious sound from an excellent receiver: Sony str 6800. :thmbsp:
 
WWDE 101.3 FM out of Norfolk, Virginia. But, I've been all up and down the dial tonight. I just got the Luxman back from Dewick Repairs, and the old girl is singing so beautifully, it almost brings tears to my eyes.

How many (current model) electronic devices do you suppose will still be working thirty six years from now?

None. That would be my guess.

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom