• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

thorens

  1. Alfmonster

    Pickering XV-15/1200e Thorens 166 ii TP62 alignment help

    I’ve recently acquired a Pickering XV15 1200e (without the brush) and attached it to my Td166 ii /TP62 tone arm. I bought it lightly used — I’ve aligned it to the baerworld protractor via Vinyl Engine and have the vtf set to 1.25g. Does anyone have any advice on aligning the XV15? It is kind...
  2. bscepter

    Just ordered a Thorens TD 145

    I've always loved the look of these decks, and I ran across what looks like a clean one for $450 on eBay. The shipping was free, and it comes with an Ortofon Super OM 20 cart, so I'm really only paying about $300 or so for the TT itself. I currently have a Pioneer PL-510A and am looking forward...
  3. Rolf Jansen

    Semi automatic - Thorens vs Rega vs

    Hi to all, this is my first post on audiokarma! I've tried to find some related posts but didn't find something specific to my need. I want to buy a decent turntable to play some of my old records and buy new records as well (haven't had a pickup for more the 10 years). I almost went with a...
  4. T

    Td 105 auto return problem

    It doesn't return on it's own but if I turn the platter myself it does work. Does anyone have experience with this turntable?
  5. cschaub

    Help diagnosing thorens td-160 issue

    I have a 1st gen Thorens TD-160 without the transit locking screws. The wow/flutter is bugging me. RPM says I am running at 33.64 with wow/flutter of .30. New Thorens belt for a few months. Really clean unit, but I am noticing a wobble when the motor runs ... posted video with and without belt...
  6. Isaac C.

    Best Source for Thorens TD 145 Mk1 Belt?

    Hello everyone, I am looking a for a new belt for my Thorens and was wondering the best place to get a new one. I see several on eBay around the $10 range with good feedback and also see a "genuine" Thorens belt on vinylnirvana that is $27. I am wanting a belt that is good quality and close to...
  7. M

    Plinth for Thorens TD124?

    I just bought Thorens TD124 without a plinth. I am very new to these tables and am I looking online for a new plinth but there doesn't seem to be many options here in USA. Where did you buy yours? Can you recommend someone who would make one for me?
  8. S

    Thorens TD-126 MkII thoughts/advice

    Hi Folks - first time posting on here but certainly have learned a lot by reading the forums over the years! Now I need some adice. I am awaiting delivery on a Thorens TD-126 I picked up off ebay yesterday afternoon. It'll be my first Thorens and chose it over the 160 because I wanted the 78...
  9. R

    Why are the older idler wheel turntables so highly regarded?

    So I just started getting into vintage audio stuff and I have been looking at a lot of turntables lately. 1 thing that I still don't understand is why some turntables are so much more expensive than others for example the garrard 301-401 I get that these turntables also have a collector's market...
  10. J

    Phono Preamp & Cart for Thorens td126 mkii - Budget $1200

    I am looking to change and upgrade my sound up a bit. I currently using a Shure m91ed w/ jico stylus and a Marantz 2230. The sound has been great but I want to upgrade. I love grado sound (long time headphone user) so I have been considering the Platinum and Sonata carts but I am not sure if...
  11. Alfmonster

    MC2100, MC225, MC240 advice needed

    I became obsessed with higher fidelity sound through Jazz - and I remember hearing for the first time the muted trumpet of Miles Davis on vinyl and being emotionally floored. It was on a really bad system, but that didn't matter - the music went beyond the sound quality and that was my gateway...
  12. Stereofro

    Thorens TD125mkII SME 3009 S2 Improved Issues

    Hi everyone. I have a TD125 mkII with a SME 3009 S2 improved. I have not used this table in years. I put a Ortofon 2M on the removable head shell just to get the ball rolling and it sounds bad. I am just wondering where to start. It gets volume but has a static distortion. It only occurs when it...
  13. Alfmonster

    Best Budget Cart/stylus for Thorens TD166 Mk ii

    The TD166 mk ii I own has the TP11/tp62 tone arm combo which came with an at140lc which I’m afraid is on its way out. Ive been reading a lot of cart reviews and have been receiving wonderful advice from the kind members of the Audiokarma community. And most recommendations - although I would...
  14. Alfmonster

    Thorens TD 166 mk ii tonearm help

    hello! I’ve recently acquire my first Thorens, a TD 166 mk ii and needed help identifying the tonearm/wand combo. Are the the more recent wands able to be interchanged regardless of versions? And also would someone be able to help explain how to use a printed protractor from Vinyl Engine to...
  15. Alfmonster

    Thorens TD 166 MK ii or Rega Planar 2 (Green Label)

    Hi everyone! I know this is a topic that has been posted about many times but I’m trying to weigh my options between a Thorens TD mk ii or a Rega Planar 2 (Green Label). Would the thorens have the greater ability to upgrade to eventually as good as some of higher end TT?
  16. Somuchcaacaa

    Garrard and Thorens parts

    Hello Folks, I am on the hunt for a cartridge sled for a Garrard Z2000B and motor/coil for Thorens 14x & 16x series. If you have any leads or suggestions, please let me know.
  17. bluenote79

    Looking for suggestions on an auto or semi-auto turntable

    I'm looking to upgrade a second system for my kitchen. My main system is running a Thorens TD 160, which is fully manual and I love it. I had a Dual 1257 for my second system, which was "ok", but the auto function stopped working. Well, it didn't stop completely. It pretty much drops the...
  18. cschaub

    Thorens TD-1 - SC ?? - MKII

    I'm hunting around for a TD-160. I ran across this, a TD-160 SC MKII, I've never seen the SC. What does this mean? Also, is there any way to tell if this table has the desirable platter bearing bronze ball? Maybe that is not really a thing, but any advice or musings are appreciated...
  19. cschaub

    Thorens platter issue

    Looking at getting a Thorens mk125 mkii. The seller says the platter lightly grazes the plinth. Any idea what would cause this? Seems like a good model, $600 USD.
  20. M

    Thorens TD160 Mk2 Modifications

    Hey folks, New member here. I've seen a lot of people have posted and talked about the mods that can be done to the TD160... I've already had a buddy do some stuff. Dampening of the subchassis, serviced the armlift mechanism so it's nice and smooth, etc. Unfortunately there is some hum/buzz...
  21. G

    Where to look for restored/vintage turntables

    Hello -- I first posted here 8 years ago, when I first started collecting vinyl, and you all were wonderful in pointing me toward Dave at Vinyl Nirvana for my first turntable. I was lucky enough to find an affordable "starter"/consumer model -- the Thorens TD-165. Recently, I have been having...
  22. Bob Clay

    Thorens 125/ 160 vs Systemdek IIX

    Hey Ak Looking for some wisdom and guidance on my voyage into belt drives. Just sold my Technics 1700 for a multitude of reasons. Great deck but time for a change. Looking to go belt drive and targeting a Thorens but a very reputable local dealer has a Sytemdek IIX with the Jelco arm + sumiko...
  23. JayPare

    Thorens TD166 MKII

    I came across a Thorens TD166 MKII turntable with a missing power cord. Could be able to get it for 200$ but it's 2 hours away from me. The 16VAC 300mA (not DC) adapter might cost me around 50$. For 200$, is it worth it over my Sears 28668 (pretty much a Marantz 6100 replica) or my Pioneer PL-15R?
  24. Redox

    Thorens arm/headshell on Lenco??

    Hello everyone, I just picked up this Lenco 75 with Thorens arm. I'm thinking that the head shell does not belong to the arm and also there are bits missing from the arm? Does anybody know what is going on with this Frankenstein record player.....
  25. Sergey Green

    How TurnTables differ ..

    Hi all, They say some turn-tables will sound better than the other. Provided the two different makes/models would have the same cartridge and play the same LP, what other factors do contribute to the overall sound quality/perception? I just read the comment somewhere that many older Thorens do...
Back
Top Bottom