• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1967 Executive 972 opinions? Updates on restoration.

Maybe consider not-fiberglass. Mineral wool (Rockwool) is of similar density and its not nearly as horrible to work with. I used most of a pack to build a few acoustic panels to deal with reflections in my front room.
 
Maybe there is a different kind but I’m pretty sure that all itchy fiberglass types were discontinued many years ago due to health hazard. I’ve used modern pink insulation from Home Depot several times and never had even a hint of itching. Maybe some people have allergic reaction to it but it’s definitely not the same, actual glass type fiberglass.
 
Maybe there is a different kind but I’m pretty sure that all itchy fiberglass types were discontinued many years ago due to health hazard. I’ve used modern pink insulation from Home Depot several times and never had even a hint of itching. Maybe some people have allergic reaction to it but it’s definitely not the same, actual glass type fiberglass.
I've done a few construction jobs and I still feel like little needles poke my skin when i touch it.
 
Maybe something different. This particular one does not bother me at all. I used it with bare hands and short sleeves several times before
 
It's still glass fiber insulation. The fibers are a couple Microns larger than before in diameter. No real difference in effect with what's in there.
 
I just looked it up. It looks like fibers (wool) are actually thinner but glue blended, that is probably what makes the difference. That explains the specific sweet smell pink insulation has. I'm sure none of that as good for us as real wool or cotton, but... Original yellow sheets were thin and hard. Really bad. Gave me stuffy nose after I opened it first time. I'm not even talking about itchy arms for couple days. That stuff sucks
 
Acoustic fiberglass panels are that hard woven fiberglass type material still. Corning 703 I think?
 
Maybe for wall insulation. In this console case, down firing woofers were just covered with 2 sheets of 3/8” thin hard yellow. I hope pink stuff will do similar or better. I already have pink leftovers and yellow stuff is in the dumpster without additional incidents. Just have to separate paper backing as I’m sure it’s not needed.
 
Last piece to do is Ampex RTR. Caps ordered. Couple specific questions. What is the best way to take care of disintegrated Cadmium here:

1.JPG

Many metal parts look this way. Brackets, linkages, solenoids. What's the best way to clean / neutralize and treat afterwards? Wax?

It is 1150 model. I want to replace belts but can't find the source so far. Any suggestions? Already posted in Tape forum with no response.
 
Are all 11xx series use same belts? I think last 2 digits are accessories, trim types and improvements but main components may be the same?:dunno:
 
Should be. Take a picture of the complete back side and front with the panel off. I wouldn't be surprised to see that it's similar or very very close to the 900 series, and 1200 or F-44 Fineline series as far as the mechanism goes. Parts and belts will be hard to find for it. Measure what you have for the belts and check around and see if places that do cassette and belt drive phono's either have something with those dimensions or can custom order them.
 
with cadmium I usually wipe it down with a damp paper towel and dispose of the rag. Otherwise leave it alone. Its nasty stuff if you ingest it, but otherwise not a big deal. Basically don't lick it or turn it into dust that gets breathed in. Its not a visible part so looking bad isn't a real issue.
 
I found Sam's SM listing that covers all 11xx models. Assuming that belts are all same and purchased set that lists 1100 model. ebay, of course.
 
Back
Top Bottom