• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

What is lot B? I mean, it sounds like the second down the line. That can't be right.

Nice table in your avatar.

G.

No, its just what they call it, why I have no idea. The 20 and 23 yr old family reserve are what is known as Stitzle- Weller ( I mis spelled stitzle)
bourbon, from the famous distillery of the same name. Much famous bourbon came from there. Unfortunately, the distillery closed in 1992. So when this stuff is gone boys, its gone...and expensive as hell in the mean time. The Lot B is, I am told made with "some" Stitzle-Weller, the rest special picks from among Buffalo Trace's ( the distillery, not the whiskey bottle of that name) many special barrels. Buffalo Trace distillery is responsible for a hell of a lot of different whiskeys, Blanton, Elmer T Lee ( an excellent pick for under 30, will make Woodford reserve taste silly imho), I believe they have the Weller name now, many others. I wish someone would reserect the old distillery, but my understanding is that it is an asbestos nightmare and will never happen. Sad, very sad. Good news is the folks from around buffalo trace are producing great bourbons, many different barrels that should make for special sippin for a long time to come. Enjoy the Family Reserve from Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery while you can, one of lifes rare treats!:yes: Learn more at www.Straightbourbon.com

Russellc
 
Thanks! As I read I thought of including the Straight Bourbon link and then, there at the end, there it was.
 
Last edited:
I ordered in some of the Van Winkle "Lot B" weeks (months?) ago and tried it. Just didn't find time to respond until now. I agree that it's great stuff, and has a much "brighter" (for lack of a better word) flavor than Blanton's. Blanton's is more mellow, and for me a better choice for relaxing and sipping at the end of the day whereas Van Winkle is a whiskey I'd be more inclined to party with. So instead of "house" and "reserve", it appears I have party and nightcap whiskey.

The guy at the liquor store told me that two other people had ordered in some Van Winkle as well, so maybe they're going to start keeping it on the shelves. I couldn't find Blanton's anywhere until a couple months after I ordered mine. Now I see it just about everywhere I go.

I just spent 5 weeks in Belize, and there's not much choice in bourbon around there. I had to settle for tequilla and rum. Life is rough, I tell ya!
 
I stopped into a liquor store here in Manhattan last night that sells Van Winkle bourbons, but the only thing that they had left was the 23 year old @ $220 per bottle. I was told the next release will be in October, I plan on not getting shut out this fall.
 
If you find anything Stitzel-Weller, grab it. A really good find when you can run into some "dusties" is Old Fitzgerald Bottled-In-Bond - if it says "DSP-KY-16" on the label it's SW juice. The later stuff will be DSP-KY-1 or DSP-KY-31, it's made by Heaven Hill now. I have one opened 1.75 of late SW Old Fitz BIB and two more 1.75's of it in the basement. "Dusty hunting" is a favorite pastime of the folks at straightbourbon.com, bourbonenthusiast.com, and bourbondrinker.com. :)

+1 on the Elmer T. Lee recommend...I've got a bottle of that. Superb juice. Did you know Elmer just turned 90? Buffalo Trace had a big birthday party for him. He still gets involved in selecting barrels for his namesake bourbon, despite being retired.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan
 
Oddly, some places it's medium price, others it's a premium.

It's my daily bourbon. :thmbsp:

Awesome.

It's some deep and rich stuff. I can taste so many different dessert flavors and spices at the same time. Where I used to buy it when I lived in San Antonio, TX, it was cheaper than Jack!
 
I have not scanned every reply, but was wondering how many have had a chance to try any of the Four Roses bourbons now that Seagram's has turned it loose?

Back in 2008 Jim Rutledge blended up a couple barrels and called it "Marriage". If you sip your bourbon neat, this was heaven.

Four Roses is not distributed everywhere, so, I suggest a trip down the Bourbon Trail to a little Spanish Mission hacienda for a bourbon that challenges the best of Van Winkle and Black Maple and my beloved George T Stagg.
 
When it comes to bourbon, Makers Mark is outstanding, but I found Woodford Reserve to be a little more to my taste - a little smoother. Knob Creek is nice for a change, but a little rough.

I found a new favorite last year, and have stocked up for the winter this year already - Rebel Yell. It is a complete sleeper IMHO. I like it way better than Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve, and it's about half their price - about $15 per bottle. I am sipping some by the fire as I am typing this! They also have a Rebel Reserve for about $20 a bottle, which is a little different in taste - fruitier? - but I wouldn't say better or worse than Rebel Yell.

I like Scotch too, but it's very different from bourbon - in fact, it's hard to find two Single Malt Scotch's that are even similar - but there are outstanding bourbons available in the USA, and you would have to pay an arm and a leg to get Scotch of similar quality over here. But if you want to splurge on Scotch, you can't go wrong with Highland Park :thmbsp:

Rebel-Yell.jpg
[/QUOTE]
 
Might I suggest Buffalo Trace.

For a "sleeper", try Weller's Special Reserve (which is close to what Rebel Yell used to be like).

I'm a little biased against Rebel Yell, because the new owners have watered it down. It was my preferred bourbon for years.
 
I've seen Buffalo Trace in the shops around here, and will have to give that a try. It was on my to-do list before I got completely hooked on Rebel Yell. The bourbon selection available in NE Ohio is somewhat more limited than one would like - I have to drive an hour up to Cleveland to even get Rebel Yell - but I'll keep an eye open for Weller's Special Reserve.

Regarding the watering down - Rebel Reserve is over 90 proof, so I guess any watering must have been done in moderation :D

You'd never guess that Rebel Reserve has such a high alcohol content though. I find it remarkable smooth for such a strong drink!
 
When it comes to bourbon, Makers Mark is outstanding, but I found Woodford Reserve to be a little more to my taste - a little smoother. Knob Creek is nice for a change, but a little rough.

I found a new favorite last year, and have stocked up for the winter this year already - Rebel Yell. It is a complete sleeper IMHO. I like it way better than Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve, and it's about half their price - about $15 per bottle. I am sipping some by the fire as I am typing this! They also have a Rebel Reserve for about $20 a bottle, which is a little different in taste - fruitier? - but I wouldn't say better or worse than Rebel Yell. . . .

I discovered Rebel Yell either the fall of 67 or winter of 68. Then a year ago I rediscovered it. Smooth and sweet.

I agree.
 
Absolute heresy to all you Kentuckians, I know, but I managed to find a Colorado Straight Bourbon! Advertized as "Colorado's first legal Bourbon", and only the second bourbon from outside of Kentucky that I've heard of (thanks to this thread). Created by Peach Street Distillers in a little town called Palisade. It's on the opposite side of the Divide from civilization, and AFAIK they don't yet distribute. At least one very good wine store here in Denver has brought in a supply, so I managed to snag a bottle in town. Expensive stuff, but well reviewed for just a 2 year whiskey.

Also grabbed some Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. Not a true bourbon, but close, and very well reviewed with a regional (Southwest) distribution. I understand their distilling technique is pretty unique - sort of a cross between a bourbon and a scotch style.

I blew a lot on these but I should have a good supply for quite a while now. I'm going to try the bourbon tonight, and compare it with the Van Winkles, which I've almost completely drained.
 
Well, for anyone who might care...the Colorado bourbon has a very different character. Not the depth of flavor or intensity as the old traditional brands, as I kind of expected from a 2 year whiskey. Much lighter. But also, a little smoother than the Van Winkle and has a nice woody taste to it. I'm curious to see what a 10 or 12 yr might be like. This is a new distillary, so that would come out about 8 or 10 yrs from now.
 
I looked at the site. It seems to be mad the same way as Bourbon only with Coors' water. We heard so much here about pure Colorado mountain water in the 70s in Coors' advertising I just had to say that.

The two years aging would make it lighter kind of like Lem Mottlow (sp?) or Jack Green.
 
I'm new here, but I'll be happy to chime in. Favorite is Hirsch 16. But of course they ain't making any more of it. I have two unopened bottles in my cabinet, but i'm giving one to my buddy as a wedding present.

For every day purposes, I kind of go between Buffalo Trace and Weller Antique. Put a gun to my head and I'll choose the Weller. Outstanding bang for the buck.
 
I'm new here, but I'll be happy to chime in. Favorite is Hirsch 16. But of course they ain't making any more of it. I have two unopened bottles in my cabinet, but i'm giving one to my buddy as a wedding present.

For every day purposes, I kind of go between Buffalo Trace and Weller Antique. Put a gun to my head and I'll choose the Weller. Outstanding bang for the buck.[/QUOTEI



Was wondering about Weller the last time I needed Van Winkle (RIP 107* 10 summers old). The bottle is very close to the Van Winkle's and pick it up by mistake . Then put it back when the wife noticed the difference .
Have you tried the 107* seven year old Weller ?



Barney
 
Back
Top Bottom