• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

I always been told for a Bourbon to be a "Ky Bourbon" it needs to be in an new charred oak Keg sleeping for at least 2yrs in KY . Plus at least 51% corn . No artificial coloring !!!



Barney
 
Last edited:
I would agree with that. I think that Jack meets the requisite corn ratio, is aged for 7 years in virgin charred oak casks. Oh, and no artificial coloring.
 
I thought we also resolved that Kentucky is the traditional homeland of bourbon, but there is no "rule" that states it has to be made there. There was mention of Virginia Gentleman, and now we have one Colorado bourbon on the market. (Advertized as "Colorado's first legal bourbon"), and I hear there's at least one more CO bourbon in the works. (What is this world coming to?) So does that mean Jack could call itself a bourbon if they really wanted to?

But if we are talking about "Kentucky bourbon", then I suppose by definition it has to be made there. :)
 
To me Sour Mash is not Bourbon Whiskey , sorry just MHO ....


Jack's good just not my first pick .


Barney
 
Good burbon, try "Rebel Yell" a straight sourmash whiskey. Keeps it taste right through. One hint though, if you want it straight, OK, however, if you want it on the rocks, here is a tip. Make your ice cubes out of distilled water in a plastic ice cube maker. Whiskey has a tendency to pick up any nasty things in you water giving a bad aftertaste, in particular, if you water is hard or has a lot of iron in it. Do not use an aluminum tray, for the obvious reason, no metal taste!
 
I thought we also resolved that Kentucky is the traditional homeland of bourbon,

I agree.

. . . but there is no "rule" that states it has to be made there.

I don't know. There is much information out there but little that is trustowrthy.

. . . There was mention of Virginia Gentleman, and now we have one Colorado bourbon on the market. (Advertised as "Colorado's first legal bourbon"), and I hear there's at least one more CO bourbon in the works. (What is this world coming to?) So does that mean Jack could call itself a bourbon if they really wanted to?

I would guess so, but it isn't going to change from Tennessee sipping whiskey any time soon.

. . . But if we are talking about "Kentucky bourbon", then I suppose by definition it has to be made there. :)

Yup!
 
To legally qualify as "Bourbon" it must be 51% corn, there is no legal restriction that it must be made in Kentucky, there is even a bourbon made here in NY State. http://tuthilltown.com/category/products/, I've tried the bourbon and it was pretty good.
jack Daniels cannot be called Bourbon, as it is filtered through charcoal, but our local expert RussellC can chime in on the legal aspects.
 
I wasn't saying that Bourbon has to be made in Ky just that to be called KY Bourbon it had to be aged at least 2yrs in state .

Does Jack Daniels Distillery use Bourbon in it's description , don't they call it a Tennessee Whiskey .

Maybe it's just me but a Tennessee (Charcoal filtered ) and Bourbon are different tasting whiskeys .
Both good just a different drink IMHO .

Sorta like comparing a blended to a straight whiskey both can be good just a different flavor .

For a mixed drink more then one type will work for me but for sipping with water and ice it's a Straight Bourbon that's my favorite .

Barney
 
Last edited:
Good burbon, try "Rebel Yell" a straight sourmash whiskey. Keeps it taste right through. One hint though, if you want it straight, OK, however, if you want it on the rocks, here is a tip. Make your ice cubes out of distilled water in a plastic ice cube maker. Whiskey has a tendency to pick up any nasty things in you water giving a bad aftertaste, in particular, if you water is hard or has a lot of iron in it. Do not use an aluminum tray, for the obvious reason, no metal taste!

Rebel yell used to be my favorite until it changed hands. It's been watered down (literally) too much for my tastes, now. Former sibling W.L. Weller still tastes (and proofs) close to old Rebel Yell.
 
I thought to be "true" Bourbon (capital "B") it had to come from Bourbon Cty. KY, aged 2 yrs min, and so on.

Anyway, favorite is Elijah Craig 18-yr old single barrel. Tastes like candy. Great with a Fonseca (cigar, not the Port) after dinner.
 
Good burbon, try "Rebel Yell" a straight sourmash whiskey. Keeps it taste right through. One hint though, if you want it straight, OK, however, if you want it on the rocks, here is a tip. Make your ice cubes out of distilled water in a plastic ice cube maker. Whiskey has a tendency to pick up any nasty things in you water giving a bad aftertaste, in particular, if you water is hard or has a lot of iron in it. Do not use an aluminum tray, for the obvious reason, no metal taste!

Rebel yell aint what it once was. It was stizel-weller bourbon in the old days, 90 proof. Now its just a bottle and a label, I think Heaven Hill provides the whiskey, only 80 proof. a mere shadow of its grand former self.

russellc
 
I think there were a number of posts about what makes a whiskey a Bourbon. Jack and George Dickel are made in Tennessee and made just like Bourbons.

There was some questions about Virginia Gentleman which is Bottled in Virginia. No mention about where it is made, IIRC.

Regardless, there are whiskeys that are not labeled Bourbon which are.

I answered the Virginia Gentleman Inquirey, the whiskey makins are made elsewhere, they just finish it off....

Russellc
 
I thought to be "true" Bourbon (capital "B") it had to come from Bourbon Cty. KY, aged 2 yrs min, and so on.

Anyway, favorite is Elijah Craig 18-yr old single barrel. Tastes like candy. Great with a Fonseca (cigar, not the Port) after dinner.

while us old timers prefer the "bourbon county" requirement, it isnt by law. Must be 51 percent corn and a minimum age requirement.

russellc
 
Can you'all keep a secret , this is my Bourbon's hiding place .......



Barney
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3355.jpg
    IMG_3355.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom