• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

I thinking it to be a fifth . The bottle I almost bought was a fifth for $19.00 the other day .


But that's Louisville KY prices ....

Barney
 
Now this is the kind of thread that I can really get into! Lots of my favorite vices end up getting plenty of attention here at the good ol' AK... :banana:

"I like Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek and Elijah Craig, as well as the Ezra Brooks."

I have to agree with StuartK on this one--impeccable tastes! Right now I am really enjoying the Elijah Craig (especially considering the relatively low price of it here in Idaho), but I like the Knob Creek and Maker's Mark when there is extra funding around. Heck, I even think that the Evan Williams black label stuff is amazingly drinkable and probably the steal of the decade in terms of bourbon. The only thing better than bourbon? Bourbon being sipped in a comfortable chair while listening to a great analog recording. Which reminds me... :thmbsp:
 
I dig the Elijah Craig too. Used to be a great deal here in PA, now it's only a good deal after price went up.


Hmmmm, think I'll go pour some Rare Breed. See what you guys make me do?
 
Jackpot!

Last night I stopped into one of the few stores in NYC that sells Van Winkle bourbons and the new releases had finally arrived. So I stocked up with the following:
1 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90* Proof
1 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107* Proof
2 Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year "Lot B" 90* Proof ".

Bring on Winter! :banana:

In October I sent an email to the Van Winkle distillery asking about when the new releases would be hitting the market. Within 10 minutes Mr. Julian Van Winkle III responded to my email informing me they would be hitting the market soon and included a list of shops in the city that carry their products.

I guess I am just a jaded and cynical New Yorker but that personal attention to detail is lacking in today's society. I was dutifully impressed that he would take the time to respond to my inquiry. Needless to say the Van Winkle family has a customer for life in me. Of course it doesn't hurt that they also make the best tasting bourbons in the country. :D
 
Something is wrong. I like a sweet Bourbon and went to George Dickel this time. It isn't what I remembered.

Must be me.
 
Last night I stopped into one of the few stores in NYC that sells Van Winkle bourbons and the new releases had finally arrived. So I stocked up with the following:
1 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90* Proof
1 Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107* Proof
2 Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year "Lot B" 90* Proof ".

Bring on Winter! :banana:

In October I sent an email to the Van Winkle distillery asking about when the new releases would be hitting the market. Within 10 minutes Mr. Julian Van Winkle III responded to my email informing me they would be hitting the market soon and included a list of shops in the city that carry their products.

I guess I am just a jaded and cynical New Yorker but that personal attention to detail is lacking in today's society. I was dutifully impressed that he would take the time to respond to my inquiry. Needless to say the Van Winkle family has a customer for life in me. Of course it doesn't hurt that they also make the best tasting bourbons in the country. :D

Pay special attention to the lot B, big Van winkle fan here, 20 yr family reserve is my fav, (Ithink). Everytime I try the Lot B, I almost change my mind. Good to know, as the Lot B isnt all, (and maybe none), of the orignal Stitzel-Weller whisky, like the 20 and 23 year family reserves are. That stuff hasnt been made since '92, and when its gone, its gone. Maybe Warren Buffett will buy the old distillery and restore it!

Nice to see they are finding something other than Stitzel-Weller that still has that wonderful cotton candy wang....

These whiskeys generally come out in October and in June around these parts.

Russellc
 
Last edited:
Russell,

I like Jack, Woodford, Ezra Brooks, Maker's Mark. I don't know if these are wheated or riced for that matter. How do I know???

IIRC All of the brands you listed contain 51% or higher quantity of corn in the mash bill.

The wheated bourbons I have in my collection include:
Bernheim Original
Pappy VanWinkle 20yr.
William Larue Weller
 
Bourbon you say...

Minnesota Fats: "Preach! Go down and get me some White Tavern whisky, a glass, and some ice."

Fast Eddie: "Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."

My current bottle is Woodford Res., good stuff. It's hard to beat the Eagle Rare. Next bottle on the list is Bakers... tried it, liked it.
Alternative take: try the Sazerac Rye
 
Russell,

I like Jack, Woodford, Ezra Brooks, Maker's Mark. I don't know if these are wheated or riced for that matter. How do I know???

Jack isnt really bourbon, the Makers is a classic wheated bourbon, not sure about the Ezra......

Russellc
 
If you think that's good try Single Barrel it's the nectar!

Mike
PS. You can throw number 7 down the drain along with others after you try Single Barrel it's the best I've tasted regardless of the money I've thrown at anything.

Try throwing some at the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year family reserve, or the Lot "B"........You'll be pouring that single barrel down the drain.:D

russellc
 
From Way, Way Back

Jack isn't really bourbon, the Makers is a classic wheated bourbon, not sure about the Ezra......

Russellc

I think there were a number of posts about what makes a whiskey a Bourbon. Jack and George Dickel are made in Tennessee and made just like Bourbons.

There was some questions about Virginia Gentleman which is Bottled in Virginia. No mention about where it is made, IIRC.

Regardless, there are whiskeys that are not labeled Bourbon which are.
 
Back
Top Bottom