• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

My youngest turns 21 on the 1st , and he knows better then to touch without asking ...

I think with it cold the ice seems not to pop as bad .


Barney
 
Can you'all keep a secret , this is my Bourbon's hiding place .......



Barney

That's no way to treat Ol' Rip. :no:


;-)


RVW/10 may be the smoothest Bourbon that's within reason (price-wise). Very reminiscent of what Rebel Yell (IMO) used to be like, but smoother. Just great stuff, and not all that easy to come by.
 
Last edited:
That's no way to treat Ol' Rip. :no:


;-)


RVW/10 may be the smoothest Bourbon that's within reason (price-wise). Very reminiscent of what Rebel Yell (IMO) used to be like, but smoother. Just great stuff, and not all that easy to come by.

I came upon one, along with a "Lot B" on a recent Nashville visit. None on the shelf, the back room was a treasure trove! 2 20 year Family Reserves, 2 23 year Family Reserves, a Ten Year pictured, and one I had never seen before.
The owner took me to his office to show me, it had just arrived. Helping him slip it from the box was a beautiful furniture grade box, fancy as most any humidor I've seen. This wasnt a cheap wooden box to be sure. Inside were 2 quality crystal high ball glasses, and a bottle from Old Rip that I had never seen! The price? Undetermined at that point, but sounded like he was looking in the 450-650 range. I was happy with the lot "B" I was allowed to buy! That original Rebel Yell was fantastic! I was introduce to it by an old boy at a circa 70's rock concert. Wasnt available above the Mason-Dixon line back then, so traveling was in order. It used to be, just like Old Fitzgerald also used to be, Stitzel-Weller, the finest bourbon on earth, and what is still in the 20 and 23 year Family Reserve bottles. I've seen the Buffalo trace site, and if you watch the barrel room cam often enough, you might see one of those barrels rolled out....make note of what its going in! (If it still happens anymore...) Rebel Yell is now just like any other lower line bourbon, and only 80 proof as well. Same fate Jack Daniels has suffered, as to the proof, 80, no longer 90.

cheers!

Here's a pic along with a few friends:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Go-To is Blantons. Favorite is currently Hirsch Reserve. Current in-hand is Eagle Rare 17. On-Deck is Peter Jakes 10 year. Worst in cabinet is Old Crow
 
Go-To is Blantons. Favorite is currently Hirsch Reserve. Current in-hand is Eagle Rare 17. On-Deck is Peter Jakes 10 year. Worst in cabinet is Old Crow

Blanton's was one of my first experiments in "expensive" whiskey. Good, but much better available for the money, like the excellent Eagle rare 17 year you mention. Superb!

Try the Buffalo Trace (That's where Blanton's comes from) if you like Blanton's, both can have what some call a musty character, and it can vary from bottle to bottle on both. Some are just better than others. The Van Winkle offerings are amazingly consistent. The latest bottle of Buffalo Trace I purchased is excellent, little must and lots of cotton candy!

russellc
 
Finished off my bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve over the weekend. Nice, pleasant bourbon, but preferred the Woodford to it. Both however, pale by comparison to any of the Van Winkle bottlings.
 
My wife got me a bottle of Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Aged 10 years.

Nice stuff. A touch of honey in the aftertaste. Worth a try.

Ken
 
Blanton's was one of my first experiments in "expensive" whiskey. Good, but much better available for the money, like the excellent Eagle rare 17 year you mention. Superb!

Try the Buffalo Trace (That's where Blanton's comes from) if you like Blanton's, both can have what some call a musty character, and it can vary from bottle to bottle on both. Some are just better than others.

russellc

That seems to make sense from what I recall about Blanton's stated method on their website. They basically sample it periodically, and it's "ready" when the distiller says it is. Just like audio, perception will vary based on a number of factors, even at different times from the same person.

I'll have to try the Buffalo Trace myself some time.
 
That seems to make sense from what I recall about Blanton's stated method on their website. They basically sample it periodically, and it's "ready" when the distiller says it is. Just like audio, perception will vary based on a number of factors, even at different times from the same person.

I'll have to try the Buffalo Trace myself some time.

Another under 30 bottle from buffalo Trace is the Elmer T lee single barrel....
Another wheater that Blanton fans will probably like!

russellc
 
I have been drinking the Eagle rare for quite a few years after finding it on a trip to Denver, Very nice 17yr old Bourbon! Russelc that bottle of Pappy Van Winkle you have there the 23yr old is some Fine Bourbon! I have a bottle in the Liquor pantry. Have you ever tried Maple Hill 23yr old? WOW!! Some of THE Best IMHO. Smooooooth and Very very Tasty just a true sippin whiskey to be enjoyed in Small amounts at a time.
 
I have been drinking the Eagle rare for quite a few years after finding it on a trip to Denver, Very nice 17yr old Bourbon! Russelc that bottle of Pappy Van Winkle you have there the 23yr old is some Fine Bourbon! I have a bottle in the Liquor pantry. Have you ever tried Maple Hill 23yr old? WOW!! Some of THE Best IMHO. Smooooooth and Very very Tasty just a true sippin whiskey to be enjoyed in Small amounts at a time.

The 17 year Eagle rare is very good. The 10 year single barrel, 28-32 bucks,
is also quite good for less money. The 17 is one of my favs. I've only got the 20 year Family Reserve, I find it and the 23 yr so close, except in price! The 23 year is over twice as high around here, I just cant discern that big of a taste difference.....sure there is one, but like audio expenditures, we are reaching higher and higher in price, but as we do so, it is for diminishing returns......

.......as to the Maple hill, I've had it out, but not my own bottle. From what I can tell, I think I prefer the Pappy, but we are talking small differences in majorly good bourbon!

Russellc
 
I've had 46 different Bourbon varieties to date, and the favorite probably resides with either Bookers or Buliet for raw goodness or a tinge of Orange peel in mixed concoctions. Best to stay with Uncut singles for critical tasting and full on flavor experience i say.
 
I had a Brother N Law once who could tell what Bourbon he was sippin blindfolded .


Lost a few $$$ to him , glad my sister moved on .



Barney
 
Last night it was Jim Beam. Today it's not Jim Beam. Haven't left the house all day. Did have some PC's to work on though.
 
Just found a store in the Green Mountain area that has just about all the top bourbons listed here on the shelf, including Van Winkle 10, 15 and 20 year. (Yes, even the "Lot B"!) I was pretty amazed. I did pick up some Buffalo Trace. Exceptional - best under $25 bourbon I've had to date!
 
My regular pour is Old Forrester (around $15 a bottle here). Buffalo Trace is also a good everyday favorite. A few ice cubes and a splash of well water and I'm one happy fella!

But I have a decent stock of premiums that I keep on hand for a change of pace. I always have a bottle of Woodford Reserve hanging around, and usually some Russell's Reserve Rye. Recently picked up a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B that I'll have to crack open soon!

One of my recent favorites on the small batch side is Sam Houston Very Small Batch Bourbon. It runs a little over the $30 mark here. Extremely smooth bourbon with just a touch of heat and a good bit of sweetness. Give it a shot if you run across it!
 
Back
Top Bottom