• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Ken: "I usually get at least a year out of these expensive bourbons since - if you keep enough bourbon around - you never have to swig from the same bottle twice in a row. "
That is what is called a "Veteran Move"!
 
They set the benchmark.

Just to be contrary, I will also indulge in the Black Maple Hill label - the 21 year-old is a dream. I usually get at least a year out of these expensive bourbons since - if you keep enough bourbon around - you never have to swig from the same bottle twice in a row.

Hmmmm. I've thrown out an empty Rip Van Winkle 10 year single barrel, a 12 year lot B, and a 20 year Van Winkle Family Reserve since just before Christmas! Ouch...Yes they were all emptied first... This doesnt include a bottle or two of buffalo trace and 1/2 bottle of Weller....Oh, and a stinky bottle of Old forrester Birthday bourbon...yuk! Had to mix it with egg nog to get it down. Ruined the egg nog.

I need a special 12 step program: Step one "The Rip Van Winkle Distillery is in control of my life":scratch2:

russellc
 
A bit OT, but anyone try Jim Beam R1 rye whiskey?

Ken

Haven't yet tried it, but I have been enjoying rye over the past year...

Late to the thread, but my bourbon/whisky preferences lately have been on Old Granddad bonded 100. 3 ice cubes.

And when I say cubes, I mean real cubes - with the old "fill 'er up" ice cube trays. A big ice cube makes a big difference, really melts slowly. I avoid most bar set ups for good liquor since almost every place uses the sloppy machine ice. And automatic refrigerator ice is usually cloudy and stale tasting to me. If you're a rocks guy, give those bigger old ice cubes a try.
 

Attachments

  • Ice_cube_tray.jpg
    Ice_cube_tray.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 6
I typically drink all my bourbon over a little ice with a splash of water, but in my opinion this is the ONLY way to drink rye. I'm sure some will disagree but rye tends to be "hot" and have too much of a bite if you drink it neat. However if you add a little water (I usually go 50/50 rye whiskey to water), especially a hard water like well water, it really softens things and releases some flavors I don't get if I try to drink it neat.

Rittenhouse Rye is my favorite and usually runs under $20 for 750 mL here. Old Overholt ain't bad either and is a little cheaper.
 
I started using that for cooking since I bit the Bulleit for my "house" bourbon.

A bit OT, but anyone try Jim Beam R1 rye whiskey?

Ken

One thing I've noticed about Buffalo trace is it varies from bottle to bottle. Never bad, but sometimes a little dusty-musty tastes, othertimes nice cotton candy!

Russellc
 
Interesting, Jim Beam is the only Rye I can remember seeing.

And, RussellC, I have found a number of Bourbons to vary from batch to batch. I thought it was me varying from bottle to bottle. I'm glad to find out I didn't have (another) mental problem.
 
I've made a note to fill up the "old school" ice tray using spring water and purchase some rye.

I almost always "open up" whiskey with some water or ice (or snow).
 
Wild Turkey which makes the wonderful Russell's Reserve bourbon also produces a Russell's Reserve Rye that is really good rye whiskey. I don't see it offered very many places, but if you run across it and have an interest in trying a rye then it's a good one to pick up! It's a little more pricey than the other rye whiskeys that I see in my area at about $30+ a bottle.
 
Russell's Reserve Rye

I just picked up a bottle on the way home. Small batch. 6 year old.

I had a small taste and it has a lot going on. Certainly a bit "hot" as compared to a regular bourbon, but not rough at all. I reckon the distillers were aiming to tame some of the bite of traditional cheaper ryes. That being said, this is not for kids.

While good on its own (with a bit of water), I think this will really shine in a Manhattan (later tonight) or an Old Fashioned. Has anyone seen my muddle stick?

Ken
 
I'm trying some Makers Mark tonite. My wife ( a meetings planner) attended a trade show in DC & brought home lots of goodies- snacks, candy, and a fifth of MM from the Louisville visitors bureau! Gotta love free bourbon!! ( There's a mini of Early Times, too- that will be used for cooking.)
 
While good on its own (with a bit of water), I think this will really shine in a Manhattan (later tonight) or an Old Fashioned. Has anyone seen my muddle stick?

Ken

Ken, you will not be disappointed - Rye in my opinion is best for Manhattan's and Old Fashioned's. The rye "bite" is tamed by a little mixing with sweeter add-ins. I rarely drink rye straight but prefer it to bourbon in cocktails.
 
Today at the Dentist's office I sat down and looked at the magazine next to me. It was "Garden & Gun" subtitled The Soul of the New South. I'm not making this up!

It had an article on small batch Bourbons. But I hadn't brought reading glasses. I'll see if it is on a news stand somewhere. I will see if it is on a news stand somewhere.
 
Went out to pick up a couple "inexpensive expensive" bourbons, so I'll quit going after my dwindling Van Winkle reserves.

Ended up with a wild Turkey Russell's reserve and a Weller 107. The RR wasnt bad, but the Weller 107 was a surprise. This was the 107 in the "pot bellied" bottle, not the Antique 107. ( unless they are using a different bottle) First, I usually prefer 90 proof bourbons, but no excessive burn and was pleasantly surprised at it's complexity when compared to the regular 90 proof Weller in the "pot bellied" bottle. Not quite up to the Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B, but very close at a much cheaper price.:yes:

The Weller was fairly cheap to boot!

Russellc
 
nice

Being from Kentucky of course I had to notice this thread. My favorite is usually W L Weller 12 year (but some Weller is pretty bad.) Bulleit, 1792, Bookers, and a lot of others are good too. It has to be from Kentucky, of course. If you live in Kentucky, you can often manage (if you try) to get some various stuff through friends of friends at the distilleries, and mix them to your preference. My real favorite right now doesn't have a brand, and technically it is probably a little too "hot" to be called Bourbon, and that's how I think I ended up with it - but I didn't ask for details.

I live very close to where most of the world's bourbon is made, used to live just about in the middle of it all. There are a lot of good ones, I like Knob Creek more than Woodford (Woodford's good too though). Plus, Knob Creek has a nice name for folks from this area of Kentucky - Lincoln lived on Knob Creek, and Knob Creek is where they have the big machine gun shoots once in a while - good name, good Bourbon. BTW, go to YouTube and type in "machine gun shoot knob creek night shoot", or here's one version of video from that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU&feature=related

- Kentucky's very big on horse racing, Bourbon, and machine guns - very libertarian I guess.)
 
Last edited:
After knocking off my VW Lot B, I opened my bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. What a pleasant surprise, I usually find high octane whiskies a little on the harsh side but this was a smooth as any other bourbon I had tried from Van Winkle. Neat in a brandy snifter with a small dash of water and an ice water back. A nice way to end the evening.

Thanks to RussellC for recommending this somewhere in this thread.
 
Bourbon? Sure, I'll have some!

The only way for me to drink bourbon is over cracked ice. Sipped and savored very slowly. I don't use good bourbon in mixed drinks.
My favorites: Bookers (but awful expensive), Wild Turkey, Russel's Reserve (from Austin Nichols), Maker's Mark, and Jack Daniel's (although not technically a bourbon).
Think I'll have one right now!
 
Back
Top Bottom