• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

After knocking off my VW Lot B, I opened my bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. What a pleasant surprise, I usually find high octane whiskies a little on the harsh side but this was a smooth as any other bourbon I had tried from Van Winkle. Neat in a brandy snifter with a small dash of water and an ice water back. A nice way to end the evening.

Thanks to RussellC for recommending this somewhere in this thread.

Glad you enjoyed that one. Got to agree, I usually prefer 90 proof, but there are exceptions.:thmbsp:
Its really hard to go wrong with anything from Van Winkle.
russellc
 
The only way for me to drink bourbon is over cracked ice. Sipped and savored very slowly. I don't use good bourbon in mixed drinks.
My favorites: Bookers (but awful expensive), Wild Turkey, Russel's Reserve (from Austin Nichols), Maker's Mark, and Jack Daniel's (although not technically a bourbon).
Think I'll have one right now!

:beer::beer::beer:

Russellc:thmbsp:
 
After knocking off my VW Lot B, I opened my bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. What a pleasant surprise, I usually find high octane whiskies a little on the harsh side but this was a smooth as any other bourbon I had tried from Van Winkle. Neat in a brandy snifter with a small dash of water and an ice water back. A nice way to end the evening.

Thanks to RussellC for recommending this somewhere in this thread.

RT fan, if you like the Old Rip 10 year 107, try the weller antique 107. Not far off, very similar profiles, very different pricing! I've seen it in two bottles, I had it in the little pot bellied bottle, also seen it in the traditional bottle with the antique script on it.

I think you'll like!

Russellc
 
I made a couple of Julep's for the Derby, as is tradition on Derby day. None of your fancy silver cups, I make them in pint glasses. Sweet and lethal, a dangerous combo.
 
I made a couple of Julep's for the Derby, as is tradition on Derby day. None of your fancy silver cups, I make them in pint glasses. Sweet and lethal, a dangerous combo.

what's your julip recipe, traditional, or modified? I recently tried one that incorporated some soda water or something in it, hardly traditional ( I am from Kentucky originally) but it wasnt bad!

Russellc
 
what's your julip recipe, traditional, or modified? I recently tried one that incorporated some soda water or something in it, hardly traditional ( I am from Kentucky originally) but it wasnt bad!

Russellc

Simple Syrup, Mint, Cracked Ice, Bourbon. Why screw with perfection? :D
 
Simple Syrup, Mint, Cracked Ice, Bourbon. Why screw with perfection? :D

Oh yes, but I've seen about a dozen different ways to mix just those simple ingredients....mainly with how the mint is administered. some just throw it in, others make like a tea with the mint and sugar, some just rub the mint around the top edge of the glass, etc.

Beer is made from grain, malt and yeast. They vary considerable. Got to agree with the perfection thing, with recipes like the one I mentioned with the soda. Not really a mint julip, more like a mint julip flavored cocktail I guess. I better plant some mint.....:thmbsp:

Russellc
 
Van Winkle hunting and surprising finds

On my most recent bourbon hunt, which usually goes from here in KC to southern Ill, kentucky and Tennesse, I really hit pay dirt in the least likely place i would have imagined. I was actually in the sort of neighbor hood where packing is a good option. Abanondoned tires in the middle of the road, trash blowing around, right next to a large stand of tenement type apartments.

The front door was a solid steel plate with a sign on the door stating "remove hood upon entry." Who would have thought that the largest collection of exotic scotches I had ever seen would first catch my eye. Going over to the boubon section, I truely
thought I had died and gone to heaven. First I was surprised to see two members of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection, the 17 year eaglr rare, and the Weller barrel strength. The 17 year Eagle went in the basket. Next, I went over to the guy behind the counter and asked about Van winkle. What do you want? Expecting to be taken to some back room, I was surprised when he walked me right back to where I had been and pointed to the lower row. At least 6 20 year family reserves, at least 6 of the Lot "B", at least 6 of the 10 year single barrel! He proudly stated as he showed me a locked case, that he also had some of the 25 year presentation cases and a good quantity of the 23 year Family Reserve!

Short story, One 20 year Van Winkle Family Reserve, four van winkle 12 year lot Bs, a 17 year old Eagle Rare, a Ten year Van winkle single barrel, and a more common place Weller 12 year reserve made the trip home. this guy assured me he had been in business for decades and always had this selection on hand.

In all my searches, I have never encountered this selection, and I do a lot of hunting! Fortunately, I am through this area a couple of times a year.

Who'd a thunk it? You just never know.

Russellc
 
Wow, quite the motherlode, Russell!! Your credit card must have been burnin' on the way home, nice haul!
 
Here's a pic of the catch, Obviously I've opened the Eagle rare, did give awy one of the Lot B bottles.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 24
And where would this place be??

Its located in Southern Illinois just the other side of East Saint Louis.
I've PM'd you if you are interested in going there or want me to pick something up. Its a hole in the wall and doesnt deliver/ship or advertise. I was able to buy a t-shirt with their logo. I'll likely don it at Twangfest.:yes:
They are going to have a website, something about a preferential Scotch list or something. We'll see

I guess the real owner died some while back, 5 years or so, now a daughter ownes it. Apparently every year this guy would serve up a huge spread of venison, wild turkey, (the bird, not bottle) with all the trimmings! Just amazing!
russellc
 
Last edited:
Oh man...

By that expression you must be a bourbon fan.....I really dont like Scotch like I do bourbon, but this guy was really big on scotch. He must be in very good with the supplier to say the least. Here in KC, several liquor stores swabble over less than this guy had!

Russellc
 
I really hit pay dirt in the least likely place i would have imagined...

Who'd a thunk it? You just never know.

Russellc

Ain't it crazy what you find in those little shops in the middle of no where?! I stopped in a little Mom & Pop liquor store not too long ago just outside Valparaiso, IN and they had quite the selection of good bourbons. They had the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2008 marked down below $25 a bottle... Ended up going home with the last 3 bottles they had in stock!

Oh, by the way... Nice selection of Van Winkle stuff you picked up!
 
Back
Top Bottom