• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

Speaking of out of the way liquor stores, back in 1968 I went to college in Cuthbert Ga. The county was dry. Early on in the school year they paved the blacktop all the way to the county line. 100 yards further was Sunny Side, the closest booze store. It had a great selection as it was next to a dry county.

But it was in BF Egypt. Well, so was Cuthbert.
 
Last edited:
Rip Van Winkle Lot B :thmbsp:

And i normally don't care much for Sour Mash whiskey....

Its Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. Sour mash isnt a flavor profile, but refers to the process of introducing a small amount of the spent grain from the previous batch into a new batch. Sort of like sour dough bread. I'm not sure if Van Winkle uses this process or not? They would know over on the straightbourbon.com site. Julian himself many times post there! (maybe I ought to just look at the bottle, it may say right on it I guess)

Now if by that you mean you generally dont like Bourbon, I'll get a rapid response team organized to get you help! I can tell we can save you b/c you like Van Winkle.:D

Got to agree, whether there's any Stizel-Weller Whiskey in there or not, it is mighty fine.:thmbsp: Have you tried any other Van Winkle? At a slightly lower price point than the Lot B, the 10 year old "Old Rip Van Winkle" is awful good as well.

Russellc
 
Last edited:
Its Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. Sour mash isnt a flavor profile, but refers to the process of introducing a small amount of the spent grain from the previous batch into a new batch. Sort of like sour dough bread. . . . Russellc

Is this a way to introduce the last batch yeast to the new batch?
 
Thought "sour mashing" was part and parcel to all old school bourbon production. But what do i know? Thanks for the info. Actually, i prefer Rye to bourbons and Single Malt Scotch to all else. Lot B is the only bourbon i've had yet that i'd pay to repeat neat.
 
Thought "sour mashing" was part and parcel to all old school bourbon production. But what do i know? Thanks for the info. Actually, i prefer Rye to bourbons and Single Malt Scotch to all else. Lot B is the only bourbon i've had yet that i'd pay to repeat neat.

Oh, I'm not sure if everyone does it like this, or if it varies by batch or maker.
I havent tried Rye in a long time, it certainly seems to be making a comeback.
For some reason, I seem to remember it being more like Canadian Whisky, good Canandian whisky, like Tanglewood or something.

I understand your preferences for Scotch, I just never developed a deep appreciation for it. Sounds like you may prefer wheated bourbons (like Van Winkle) to the other bourbons which strangely, use rye and other grains, along with at least 51% corn. The wheat seems to be a little sweet in comparison.

Hm-m-m-m I recently passed on a bottle of Rye, was part of Buffalo Trace Antique collection....maybe I should go back?

Cheers!

Russellc
 
p6110997.jpg


Old Weller Antique 107


Not my favorite, but a nice example of the craft.
 
Hey all , just came across this thread. I enjoy bourbon all the time...i prefer it over Scotch unless it's a really good Scotch.

My current favorite is Jim Beam Black. It's sweet, 86 proof, and worlds better than Jim white label. :thmbsp:
 
p7150002.jpg


Stopped by the cash-only 'dis count lick her stow today. My hands lingered on the Eagle Rare 10, moved to the Bulleit, glanced at the Weller's Antique 107... and then grabbed my all-round fav daily bourbon: Buffalo Trace.
 
Hi all,

Today, I bought my first ever bottle of Bourbon! After much research, I decided on WOODFORD RESERVE which was on sale in New Hampshire State Liquor Store. I just moments ago had my first dram. I find this dram unique and quite different than Irish Whiskey to be sure. I'm beginning to like this stuff! A bit hot upon first sip. Lots of Oak and Orange. Lot of Spice. Smooth, a bit oily. A unique Petro smell that opens your nose.
Warming in my lungs even after a few moments upon sipping. I'm going to take my time understanding Bourbon. Oooh, I ALMOST bought the newly released MAKER'S MARK 46. I was surprised to see it on the shelf in NH.
MM 46 is NOT available in many States. If I had had the extra money, I would of bought it for sure. I may make MM 46 my next purchase
(if it's still available). I'm told MM 46 is flying off the shelves. Cost is about six dollars more than WOODFORD RESERVE at about $33.00 a 750ml.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!
 
Jack Daniels ....is Bourbon. I don't care where it's made. It's damn
sure not blended whiskey. Tennessee is close enuff to Kentucky and
a long way from Canada.
Respectfully
Steve
 
p7150002.jpg


Stopped by the cash-only 'dis count lick her stow today. My hands lingered on the Eagle Rare 10, moved to the Bulleit, glanced at the Weller's Antique 107... and then grabbed my all-round fav daily bourbon: Buffalo Trace.

Nice choice, and the price is right. These fine folks bring you everything from this bottle, blantons, Weller, as well as the Van Winkle stuff. They have there finger ( or at least barrel houses) in a lot of fine brands!

Russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom