• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Bourbon

My regular pour is Old Forrester (around $15 a bottle here). Buffalo Trace is also a good everyday favorite. A few ice cubes and a splash of well water and I'm one happy fella!

But I have a decent stock of premiums that I keep on hand for a change of pace. I always have a bottle of Woodford Reserve hanging around, and usually some Russell's Reserve Rye. Recently picked up a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B that I'll have to crack open soon!

One of my recent favorites on the small batch side is Sam Houston Very Small Batch Bourbon. It runs a little over the $30 mark here. Extremely smooth bourbon with just a touch of heat and a good bit of sweetness. Give it a shot if you run across it!

You will love the Lot B, I personally guarantee it. If not, I'll come buy and drink it down for Ya!:D some days I almost prefer it to the 20 year, its that good....the 20 being a little more complex. The Lot B is simply perfection, IMHO anywho.

Russellc
 
Something has occurred to me. Often posters say XXX is the best $XX Bourbon but you guys are missing the second measure. What volume of Bourbon do you get for $XX?

Seriously, prices vary quite a bit from one area to another.
 
Something has occurred to me. Often posters say XXX is the best $XX Bourbon but you guys are missing the second measure. What volume of Bourbon do you get for $XX?

Seriously, prices vary quite a bit from one area to another.

Oh yeah, I guess volume would make a difference. :stupid: The $23 Buffalo Trace was 750 ml. I wonder how prices here compare with other parts of the country. :scratch2:
 
Sadly my mind doesn't comprehend the metric volumes properly. I'm still putting them together.

The old system, pint, fifth (1/5 of a gallon), quart and half gallon have given way to ?, 750ML, 1L, 1.75ML. That is the best I can do but the manufacturers probably have others they use to confuse old gray guys like me.
 
Popped the cork on a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel ($29 for 750mL) a couple nights ago. My Dad has always been an Evan Williams guy (mainly because it's affordable and still pretty good), so I figured I'd see what their upper level offering was like.

I tasted a lot of the oak in this bourbon... very earthy and "woody". I drink my bourbon over a few ice cubes with a little well water, and this really seemed to bring out the oak flavor compared to drinking it neat. The oak does have a caramel/vanilla sweetness and I kind of liked it. There is also a hint of the char/smokiness. Not a lot of heat or bite, but it does have a good "strength" from beginning to end.

Probably not something I'll keep on hand all the time since there are others that I prefer for the same money, but definitely a good change of pace with a different flavor profile.
 
Thank you Mr. Fisch! My head hurts today so this helps ease the pain.

I think that is about the price paid for Woodford Reserve. Single barrel whiskeys are always top shelf. I might try some when the ship comes in. (Unemployed now)
 
You are most welcome Grainger! Hope the headache fades quickly (and hope employment comes along quickly as well!)!

Woodford Reserve typically averages about $32 a bottle (750 mL) here, and the Evan Williams Single Barrel comes in a few bucks cheaper. Big difference between the overall flavor between the 2, but the quality on both is most definitely top notch!
 
I "opened up" a big hit of Woodford Reserve last evening with a small sprinkle of fresh snow in the glass.

Good stuff and quite seasonal.

Ken
 
Knob Creek
Bakers
Bookers
Gentlmen Jack

I picked up a few brands from the thread that I am putting on my shopping list to try. :thmbsp:
 
Woodford Reserve typically averages about $32 a bottle (750 mL) here, and the Evan Williams Single Barrel comes in a few bucks cheaper. Big difference between the overall flavor between the 2, but the quality on both is most definitely top notch!

I've only tried the really cheap Evan Williams, not their Single Barrel. Not surprisingly, I wasn't impressed with the cheaper stuff but the Single Barrel is yet one more thing to try. I've heard from a few people that Jack Daniels Single Barrell is exceptional, although arguably not completely a true "bourbon" (due to the filtering technique, as mentioned earlier). But its biggest down side is the price.
 
. . . I've heard from a few people that Jack Daniels Single Barrel is exceptional, although arguably not completely a true "bourbon" (due to the filtering technique, as mentioned earlier). But its biggest down side is the price.

Price is always the downside to good stuff if you, LIKE ME, are not rolling in cash. Doesn't keep us from wanting it and really enjoying it when we get it.

:thmbsp:
 
With all of the crappy weather this winter, the brown liquors have been getting a lot of play in my house of late. The Van Winkle Speacial Reserve Lot B, poured into a brandy snifter, with a glass of water on the side, is a thing of beauty. It almost makes winter tolerable...almost.
 
Van Winkle

They set the benchmark.

Just to be contrary, I will also indulge in the Black Maple Hill label - the 21 year-old is a dream. I usually get at least a year out of these expensive bourbons since - if you keep enough bourbon around - you never have to swig from the same bottle twice in a row.
 
. . . I usually get at least a year out of these expensive bourbons since - if you keep enough bourbon around - you never have to swig from the same bottle twice in a row.

Confusing yet intriguing. I guess I don't keep "enough" Bourbon around.
 
Back
Top Bottom