• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hurricane Helene

Pio1980

AK Member
We were on the fringe of the leeward side and got some mild winds and much less precip that expected.
Obviously, those East of us from the coast to the Carolinas fared far less well, including forum members and family.
 
Register to hide this ad
Over 7 inches of rain here, the lights blinked a few times around 5:30 AM and then we experienced high winds from Helene's backside when the eye passed just to our east as she made her way north. The winds brought down limbs, branches and a few dead pine trees in the woods before 10 AM, things calmed down and the sun came out. It could have been a lot worse.
 
Had some serious rain and wind gusts here in S. Ohio for several hours today. Wind was from a different direction than normal. Lifted some roof tin on my old storage building. Slapped some screws in it, got a job for another day.
 
By Florida standards, the areas hit the hardest were not heavily populated. If this thing would have hit Tampa, we might be witnessing disaster on the scale of Andrew and Katrina. The NHC has a new area of interest in the western Caribbean. Here we go again.
 
I have some family who live on the gulf coast north of Tampa. They said they had about 3’ of water under the house (stilt house). Luckily they left their car at a friends house during the storm or else it would have been flooded.

I lived in FL for 33 years and now live up north. I’ll take the snow over hurricanes anyday. The winters are getting warmer anyways ;)
 
Friend lives in Apollo Beach. 2 feet of water in the house, hardwood floors. His insurance rates were already high. Wondering how high they will go now. With floor and drywall damage, good luck finding a contractor who can replace everything before mold sets in. They have lived there for 30 years now and never experienced something like this but the last one that hit Fort Meyers and Sanibel came close. Whatever you thought your home was worth just went down now that you've had flood damage. I feel sorry for all those folks.
 
Friend lives in Apollo Beach. 2 feet of water in the house, hardwood floors. His insurance rates were already high. Wondering how high they will go now. With floor and drywall damage, good luck finding a contractor who can replace everything before mold sets in. They have lived there for 30 years now and never experienced something like this but the last one that hit Fort Meyers and Sanibel came close. Whatever you thought your home was worth just went down now that you've had flood damage. I feel sorry for all those folks.
Insurance rates are climbing in many places. Here, in California, there are 11 million people living in fire hazard areas and word is that getting insurance will be pretty tough in the future. Many companies pulling out, rates jumping by 100% and so on. I hear that companies are pulling out of Florida too.
 
We fared OK here. Folks in the western parts of the North Carolina got hit hard with flooding with some communities inaccessible. Some areas in the NC foot hills reported over 17 inches of rain.

We had about 2 inches here yesterday, most of that fell in about an hour. That was on top of a few days of on and off rain with several healthy thunderstorms training through Tuesday night that dumped around 3 inches. Problems here were nothing a saw and rake could not take care of though. Another day I was glad I bought that 1025R tractor, I did fill up the bucket up 6 times this afternoon
 
Helene was way more serious than it first appeared. West North Carolina got it really bad. I feel very lucky. The day before the storm, our local power company just happened to choose our property to cut back all trees and brush under our power lines. They shredded most but left behind a neat stack of larger logs along the property line. They took down a huge pine that was tall enough that if it ever fell toward the West, it would have slammed the center of our house. Once again we were very lucky.
 
Last edited:
With floor and drywall damage, good luck finding a contractor who can replace everything before mold sets in.
Sounds awful. And it's not just 'water' that's everywhere. It's disgusting dirty water that's absorbed all kinds of crap as it floods an area. I can't imagine the filth that's floating about. Yuk.

I always thought I wanted to live some place warmer....as the years go on I'm not so sure.

Best of luck to those affected.
 
The NC DOT is saying to assume that all roads in western North Carolina are closed. I did see video last night of a section of I40 that has washed out.
 
Insurance rates are climbing in many places. Here, in California, there are 11 million people living in fire hazard areas and word is that getting insurance will be pretty tough in the future. Many companies pulling out, rates jumping by 100% and so on. I hear that companies are pulling out of Florida too.
You`re correct about insurance Cos. bailing out of covering FL. homeowners and of course, the fewer ones remaining are excessively jacking up their policy rates with greater limits.

I`m financially quite easily able to self insure, and purposely let my homeowner insurance policy renewal lapse on both on my occupied houses earlier this yr., but maintain my separate high blanket liability coverage, and FEMA flood insurance.

When my Financial Advisor stopped by for our bi-yearly get together earlier this month, I informed him of my homeowners insurance policy non renewal decision, and he replied that`s good, you can safely and easily financially do this.

So no homeowner policy rate increase happening for me anymore.
 
Back
Top Bottom