• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hurricane Helene

I am seriously worried about the now forming tropical depression south of the Yucatan. It is almost a mirrored image of Helene and is following almost the same path as Helene. Scary.
 
I am seriously worried about the now forming tropical depression south of the Yucatan. It is almost a mirrored image of Helene and is following almost the same path as Helene. Scary.
Get you a affordable genset now, while you can, KingBubba !
Do you want to revisit your wife and your hrs. of misery of grid down lifestyle again ?
 
I was in Raleigh, NC, on business this week. It was bad—flooding, high winds, heavy rains, tornado watches. But it was much worse elsewhere. Let’s hope life gets back to normal soon—whatever that is these days.
 
Helene death toll rises to 120 as millions remain without power https://www.npr.org/2024/09/30/g-s1-25406/helene-death-toll-damage
I wonder how my buddy and his mother who lives on the side of a Mountain in Burnsville that`s nearby to Ashville NC. fared ?!
He, on or about 30 yrs. ago rode out hurricane Andrew staying at his parents house in South Miami holed up in the parents walk in closet located in the center of the CBS built house during the whole intense event !
 
I used to attend the yearly Honda sponsored motorcycle rally in Ashville, a great place for that event while it lasted.
 
I hear emergency services are dragging their feet.

That's diametrically opposed to what I heard.

In fact, many agencies were PRE STAGING emergency crews, in strategic locations (close to where the damage was expected, but just far enough way to not be damaged themselves) days before landfall. I personally SAW at least some of these crews, in transit, on the highways near Atlanta- out of state power crews, EMS vehicles from other states, and such).

What evidence to the contrary do you have?

And 'unprepared"- especially for a once in a thousand year event (if even that likely)- is different from deliberate inaction.

In this case too- there was SO MUCH damage to infrastructure- that even if crews were staged just outside the damaged areas- the damage was severe enough, that it's severely limiting how many, and especially how fast, rescue resources can be brought into the area. There are literally areas where there are NO usable roads. And there's no practical way, that air-dropping enough resources, is even remotely practical. Not in an area this big.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I hear emergency services are dragging their feet.
I see no indication of deliberate delays in the NBC report. I see a maximum effort to mitigate shortages and problems with inter-agency communication combined with a shortage of immediate information typical at this stage of disaster relief.
The implication that the agencies are "dragging their feet" is insulting nonsense.
 
Back
Top Bottom