• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vinyls

It's what hipsters all tend to say and is the subject of many a whiny thread here. I imagine the old fogies hated it when we started calling records "vinyl" instead of "wax" or "sides" or "platters" but they didn't have the internet to complain on.

The only constant is change. This is especially true of slang or vernacular.

John

It never does.

There must be some sort of universal law that says the tendency for a thread to turn nasty is inversely proportional to the importance of the subject being discussed.

John

Well when the very first reply calls the OPs thread a Whiny Thread. That poster probably could have used better judgment and not posted at all, it sets the tone of the thread. But of course you know that as whell as the OP just made a statment, no whiny anything untill your comment. And then if we look at your later comment if it wasn't important to you why then reply?
 
It is "record" for me. For some reason, when I go into a store asking for the vinyl section, I am sent to the dominatrix area.

I had a student comment on my "vinyls" wall in my classroom this week.
 
Well, this topic does seem to resurface with the same result. Must be folks getting ready for the holidays. I have stated this before, more than a few times in fact, my 76 year old mother calls them vinyls. Now, I am pretty sure she had records. I do cringe, but what can you do. I don't correct people anymore. What's the point.
 
I run into problems at the PO trying to ship LPs and RTR reels in media mail.

When I was telling them LPs, albums, records. No clue. The older gal there heard the conversation and told me to use the term "vinyl".

Trying to ship a large box of RTR tapes got quite a conversation going about that media. The clerk had no clue about tape.

OH, and asking about a "stylus" at a radioshack because they still had cartridges (supposedly) got quite odd because the kid was thinking of a handheld pointing stick. I tried to explain, but there was no clue to work with. I don't think he even knew what "vinyl" is or what a turntable is.

We are getting ancient.
 
Well when the very first reply calls the OPs thread a Whiny Thread. That poster probably could have used better judgment and not posted at all, it sets the tone of the thread. But of course you know that as whell as the OP just made a statment, no whiny anything untill your comment. And then if we look at your later comment if it wasn't important to you why then reply?

Trying to pick another fight on AK? Haven't you learned your lesson yet?

For the record, I didn't call the OP's post whiny. That was a reference to previous threads about vinyls.

John
 
It is "record" for me. For some reason, when I go into a store asking for the vinyl section, I am sent to the dominatrix area.

I had a student comment on my "vinyls" wall in my classroom this week.

You have your collection of vinyls posted on a wall in your classroom?

I certainly hope you washed them and covered up the naughty bits first!!
 
For the record, I didn't call the OP's post whiny. That was a reference to previous threads about vinyls.

John
So for claifacation all other "Vinyls Theads" are Whiny Thread and Unimportant but this particular one is what?
 
A twenty something at work referred to LP records as vinyls the same way we used to refer to condoms as rubbers.
Yep it's just slang and we all use it one way or another and sometimes it evolves to a point it's correct.
 
Back
Top Bottom