• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2010 Camaro, Challenger or Mustang?

I'm unsure of the reasoning here. These are all vehicles for which there is great demand, and create a bit of a halo-effect for other models of the same brand. Every successful automaker produces "sports coupes". It's part of a full product mix.

Interestingly, the Camaro and the Challenger are both based on foreign platforms; the Challenger on a German Mercedes and the Camaro on an Australian Holden. GM has a pretty good vehicle mix, and one that is getting better. The Chevy Malibu (German Opel based) is a fine mid-sized car. That platform has spawned other sedans and small SUVs for the US market.

Chrysler has the weakest product mix, and simply made a good effort with the pieces they had.

Oddly perhaps, I'd say all three cars actually represent what the American automakers can do right. If all of their products over the last two decades were as well designed and constructed, and offered as much real performance (start, stop, turn, even good fuel economy considering the vehicle type), as these do, Detroit might be in much better shape than they are now.


Very well stated, pmsummer!

Salut!!!!!!!!

Dave
 

The GM (Chevy) 350 engine was first introduced in 1967. It is unknown how many are still in use. You can still buy a brand new GM crankshaft for the engine.

The Mercedes 617.910 engine (5 cyl. diesel) was first introduced in the 300D in 1975. It is estimated that 75% of the units sold are still registered. If a recent customer of mine is correct (I have no reason to believe he lied) I am one of the few, if not the only one in the world, to the best of his knowledge, that has any NEW crankshafts for that engine. (including Mercedes).

Who's planning what?
 
The GM (Chevy) 350 engine was first introduced in 1967. It is unknown how many are still in use. You can still buy a brand new GM crankshaft for the engine.

Not to even begin to mention all the aftermarket performance manufacturers.:yes:
 
I've seen a couple on the street around here, and the attention they get is just insane. It is just like a parade going by.
In a time of bland, carbon copy automotive appliances, I salute GM for taking a chance and producing something totally unique. The market seems to agree. They are selling like crazy.

As an aside, I went into a dealership today to ask when they might have one available for a test drive. They are now saying December before they will have any inventory. Every one they can get is being sold, at full list. Not a penny off! They just wish they could get more of them.
 
The new Camaro looks like a Kitcar.............The Mustang? Well it looks like a Mustang.....

The Challenger is by far the best looking.....It actually looks better than the original.

However, "One cannot argue taste".........But, there is also such thing as "Educated taste":D
 
Every one they can get is being sold, at full list. Not a penny off!

Full list price might be a bargain right now. Most dealers are getting $1000 to $1500 premium above MSRP right now. The law of supply and demand.

I did drive by a Dodge dealer yesterday that had 4 new Challengers sitting out front on his lot. 1 each black, white, silver and orange!
 
That friend of mine who ordered one (Camaro) got it today and brought it by. Since he has a reputation with the dealer, I think he got it a little less than sticker.

I sat in it, but will have to wait to drive it until the next time he brings it by. He has an '07 Mustang and says there's no comparison. In the few miles he's driven it, he prefers the Camaro. Someone is flying in from Vegas on Saturday to buy the 'Tang. It only has 3000 miles.
 
The only problem I have withe Challenger and Camaro, outside of trying to get them serviced, is they are much bigger than the originals. I owned a 1970 Challenger R/T which I bought new and the size difference is moving it more toward intermediate than Sports compact.
 
My lovely wife calls me at work yesterday....

Wife: "The Avis guy has a new 2010 Camaro for a rental. 'You wanna rent it this weekend?"

Max: "Well....YEAH!"

So I went and picked it up this afternoon. It's just a V6 LT base model with the 6spd manumatic. Silver. Bare bones but it has a sunroof. I've only driven it about 8 miles in heavy metro traffic but I've got three or four :thmbsp: from passing motorists [ including two 20 something's cruising in a late '90's Mustang Cobra convertible and a soccer mom in a Suburban ]. It certainly draws attention, without a doubt.

It is definitely a different animal than my '95 Z-28. Rear visibility sucks with the tiny backglass and wide C pillars. The door sills are considerably higher so if you want to show off your armpit hair looking cool this is your car. The hood is visible through the windsheild unlike the '95. Getting into the car reminded my of the C4 Corvettes with high rockerpanel sills. The key fob is thicker than I'd prefer but on the upside, you can use it as a defensive weapon with the switchblade key feature just like the VW fobs.

Paddle shifting in manual mode hasn't been properly investigated yet - 'can't shift much in 25mph bumper to bumper traffic so I'll have give that a try once I can get out on an open, winding road.

Steering feel seems pretty tight and precise. The car has 4,000 miles on it, so I expect it to be solid driver.

I'll report back with more of my impressions later this weekend.
 
Last edited:
I still like the Camaro, even after seeing the Chrysler products last night at a local car cruise nite. I also heard that it's a 90-day prepaid-deposit wait to get a Camaro, but the Charger & Challenger are on the lot ready to go.

Charles
 
No contest: The Challenger.

The Mustangs have been around consistently in various incarnations. The Camaro grew stale but has been around much, also. The Challenger, now that is something to notice. My high school buddy had a '71 Challenger (318) done up as an RT. Those things were rare back in the 80's. Almost non existent now. They did a great job with the styling.

Gimme one in Plum Crazy.
 
Back
Top Bottom