• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Genesis Physics Speakers:Model II

Great to hear Morris!!!

But.....Where's the pics?????

Here's one. Rather sweet little setup I would say and they sound great now I have original passives and woofers. :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • P3308587.jpg
    P3308587.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 192
In my experience, a driver not working until the volume is turned up usually is a cold solder joint, and vibration from the higher volumes seems to remake the connection. I'd go through with a magnifying glass and look very carefully at all solder connection (or all connections, solder or pressfit).
 
Here's one. Rather sweet little setup I would say and they sound great now I have original passives and woofers.
:thmbsp: looks great! Try tilting them back a bit, and toeing in too. Also, they can actually do pretty well at approximating the constant directivity trick where you can toe them way in to have the axis cross a bit in front of you in order to create a huge sweet spot. Your corner placement may interfere with that a bit, though.
 
:thmbsp: looks great! Try tilting them back a bit, and toeing in too. Also, they can actually do pretty well at approximating the constant directivity trick where you can toe them way in to have the axis cross a bit in front of you in order to create a huge sweet spot. Your corner placement may interfere with that a bit, though.

I'm off to give it a go now. I'll be right back.
 
Having been able to do the last bit but did the first bit (tilted) and that makes them sound so much fuller.
Am I just getting the bass to be more directed at me now?

Sounds great. I'll have to see what has happened to the mids and highs with some experimentation; I wasn't paying much attention as the bass improvement caught me unawares :)
 
Nothing like bringing back an old thread! :D

I just acquired a pair of these Genesis II's from my brother. He can't keep anything for more than about a year, I refused to see him sell these. I've heard them on many occasions and liked what I heard, so told him I wanted them if he ever decided to get rid of them.

So they came over last night and I got them hooked up with a pair of really "limp", cheap stands. In fact, we're headed out to Ikea in a few to look for something to use as stands for these guys.

They were refoamed by the PO or at least he had someone refoam them. Whoever did it did a fairly sloppy job of it too. At any rate, I plan on replacing the rear glued-in terminal panel with aluminum and nice binding posts and rebuilding the crossovers with quality (but not outrageous) parts.

As Frank_Black experienced, one of the tweeters last night was not playing until I turned the volume up a little, then it popped on. I suspect a loose connection or bad solder joint somewhere. Once I rebuild the crossover, it should be gone anyway.

Once I get a little better natural lighting in the room later this afternoon, I'll take some pics and post them up.

Just an FYI, I'm running these on my modded Baldwin 6L6 PP amp and recapped Accuphase C-200 pre, just listening to Pandora through an old iPhone 3 which has a couple thousand hours of play time on it. The amp is good for a very solid and sultry 23w per channel. It had no problems pushing my NHT 2.9's and have no problems with the Genesis II's either. Actually, both speakers sound very similar!!!! That says a hell of a lot for the Genesis II's!!
 
Funny, I've been jonesing for a new set of speakers. Maybe I'll pull out those project Genesis IIIs tonight.
 
We ended up being out later than I thought we would be and missed the chance to shoot the II's in decent light. I'll fire off a couple shots in the morning and post them though.

And the Ikea trip was a wash. The night stands I was thinking about getting were flimsy and light weight. Too cheap I thought, so I'm still on a search for a decent set of stands of some sort.
 
Here's the pics I promised...

p807830914-5.jpg


p621307608-5.jpg


p978057831-5.jpg


The horrible glue job from the PO...

p594747006-5.jpg


p651572919-4.jpg


p971997112-4.jpg
 
I can't remember, did you say the cabinets had been refinished? Those are much lighter than most (well, all, as far as I can remember) of the Genesis I've seen.
 
I can't remember, did you say the cabinets had been refinished? Those are much lighter than most (well, all, as far as I can remember) of the Genesis I've seen.

I don't know. Maybe they have. My brother didn't do anything to them other than use something similar to the Howard's Restore-A-Finish on them. I do know that the enclosures look pretty darn good for their age. They were obviously well taken care of over the years.

Same goes for the drivers. Other than the crappy refoam job, the cones look like new. No scratches, tears or dings in any of them as well as the tweeters. Even the grills look great.

Here's a pic straight off of HUMAN's website showing two different finishes...
gen2a.jpg
 
I'll never understand how people can completely destroy stereo equipment and speakers to the point of no repair. Makes no sense to me at all.

I guess the other drivers were trashed too?...
 
You obviously have a better class of neighbors than I do here in Seattle. . . .

Well, I mean, at least they had some Genesis'. . . .
 
I think the dark ones were vinyl and the light ones were actual veneer, I assume oak. The vinyl is prone to the dreaded sticky/oozy syndrome.
 
I think the dark ones were vinyl and the light ones were actual veneer, I assume oak. The vinyl is prone to the dreaded sticky/oozy syndrome.

That's a good thing. I certainly wouldn't want sticky and/or oozy speakers.

What I do want, actually NEED, are a pair of nice, solid speaker stands on the cheap. Something similar to the stands used with Harbeth speakers. The ones my brother gave me with the speakers are too small and the speakers aren't very stable on them, especially on the carpet.
 
You laugh, but Nat is exactly right. I have a pair of vinyl and they are sticky and gross. It's a bummer because they are such nice sounding speakers, but the vinyl is fugly.
 
Back
Top Bottom