• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Genesis Physics Speakers:Model II

Thanks!

So far, so good.

Copied from my thread on DIYAudio...

"I've only had the system playing for about an hour at low volume, but from what I hear already, the bass is stronger, punchier and tighter and seems to have a little more detail. This is apparently from the larger cable alone since the woofer runs fullrange. Then again, the quality binding posts probably have something to do with it as well since those old spring terminals had seen better days.

Lower midrange appears to be just a tad more up front now. This might be due to the new arrangement of the fiberglass damping inside. When reinstalling the fiberglass, I created a nice direct "tunnel" of airflow straight to the PR. Upper midrange is highly detailed and neutral. The transition to the treble is completely seamless where that wonderful inverted dome tweeter takes over at a lofty 1.8kHz.

I believe I have read somewhere that those Jantzen caps I'm using take a while to properly break in. I have to say, even with an hour of running, they have opened up the upper midrange and treble noticeably. They're not brighter per say, but I can detect more detail in the music as well as a little more "air". The tweeters are still sweet and smooth which they are known for, but do seem to be a little bit more extended."
 
really beautiful work man....I have the aluminum tweeter and I think it's pretty jaw dropping..I like your idea of creating a pocket with the insulation, I think I'll try that.



Thanks!

So far, so good.

Copied from my thread on DIYAudio...

"I've only had the system playing for about an hour at low volume, but from what I hear already, the bass is stronger, punchier and tighter and seems to have a little more detail. This is apparently from the larger cable alone since the woofer runs fullrange. Then again, the quality binding posts probably have something to do with it as well since those old spring terminals had seen better days.

Lower midrange appears to be just a tad more up front now. This might be due to the new arrangement of the fiberglass damping inside. When reinstalling the fiberglass, I created a nice direct "tunnel" of airflow straight to the PR. Upper midrange is highly detailed and neutral. The transition to the treble is completely seamless where that wonderful inverted dome tweeter takes over at a lofty 1.8kHz.

I believe I have read somewhere that those Jantzen caps I'm using take a while to properly break in. I have to say, even with an hour of running, they have opened up the upper midrange and treble noticeably. They're not brighter per say, but I can detect more detail in the music as well as a little more "air". The tweeters are still sweet and smooth which they are known for, but do seem to be a little bit more extended."
 
really beautiful work man....I have the aluminum tweeter and I think it's pretty jaw dropping..I like your idea of creating a pocket with the insulation, I think I'll try that.

Thank you! I think creating that tunnel with the fiberglass is what really helps out in the bass. Well, that and the new heavier wiring and great binding posts. I'm sure all of that adds up to the final result that I hear. Whatever caused it, it's a nice improvement over stock.

I'm going to hold off on the new aluminum tweeters for a while. I want to see what these new caps are capable of once they "burn in" all the way.

Not to mention that I might be swapping out my old Baldwin tube amp soon. I'm very seriously considering the purchase of a Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro amp... Maybe, maybe two of them bridged mono. :banana:
 
Just stumbled across your pics on DIYAudio. I think somebody re-did the stuffing on yours once already, maybe. Maybe not, mine are the older version. Anyway, mine have 1/4 or maybe even 1/3 less fiberglass than that, and it is arranged similar to how you did it, cheesecloth and all.

P.S. Try even more toe-in for better imaging when listening from off-center (works in some rooms, looks like it would work in yours).
 
P.S. Try even more toe-in for better imaging when listening from off-center (works in some rooms, looks like it would work in yours).

Luckily for me, I'm never off center when I listen to my system. :D

Just for fun, I've tried more toe-in and the sound stage width collapsed. :thumbsdn:
 
hi there, I have just purchased a pair of mint genesis 2 with there boxes..cabs are flawless, not a scratch. grills are like new.. the original owner told me they have sat for appr 12 yrs in a bedroom closet in there original boxes..does anyone know where to get the lime green surrounds for the 10" drivers? I have looked on ebay and no luck...thank you
 
I don't think they are available. I think one of our AKers tried spray painting the foam. Don't know how that turned out.
 
The posts I remember were from Homer J (or something connected to Homer Simpson).
When someone points our the right name, I'll slap my forehead and say 'Doh!'.
 
I remember the thread. What I think he did was use a shoe leather dye to dye some surrounds green. They did look quite nice.
 
Hi I had a pair of 320's back in the 1980's they sounded very good the only problem I had was the tweeters were not liking the loud continuous led zeppelin I crank so they brun out on me. But in fairness to the 320's it was more likely my Receiver and its 80 watts RMS onkyo integra was pushed to it's max an I would have been better to have separates amp/pre ect. I always wanted to here a pair of 410's but still haven't to this day. Anybody listen to a nice pair of 410's?,
 
Anyone have any experience of these?

I found some info on the Human Speakers website but ears-on experience is preferred :music:

Thanks.
Love the Genesis 2+!!!! Mine were manufactured in '77, but I got them in a trade for a Fisher rack system in 1984. In my humble opinion, they're among the best all around speaker values. Great highs and mids and strong but realistic bass. Just can't say enough about them.
I only found out about Human Speakers a few days ago and can't wait for the rebuild kit (only $376 for both), well worth it.
As for another question I saw in this thread about the finish, I tried Howard's and it did almost nothing. However, I did not follow instructions by using steel wool, which I will now do. Woohoo! So easy to please an old man.
 
How funny! I started this thread back in 2011 and after a move form the US to the UK in 2015 I finally unwrapped the Genesis and hooked them up tonight to make sure they survived the journey okay and up pops an alert that someone posted to my old thread today! Welcome B63, Huw does great stuff at Human.

The speakers survived the trip; 18 months in a slightly damp garage (I know!) and despite a hint of mold on the covers they seem just fine. The cabinets still need a ton of work with steel wool and Howards but I'll get to that this year.

I followed the crossover upgrade mentioned earlier in this thread and cannot tell you how happy I am with these speakers. Currently hooked up to my TEAC RH500 amp and pumping out some decent bass.
 
How funny! I started this thread back in 2011 and after a move form the US to the UK in 2015 I finally unwrapped the Genesis and hooked them up tonight to make sure they survived the journey okay and up pops an alert that someone posted to my old thread today! Welcome B63, Huw does great stuff at Human.

The speakers survived the trip; 18 months in a slightly damp garage (I know!) and despite a hint of mold on the covers they seem just fine. The cabinets still need a ton of work with steel wool and Howards but I'll get to that this year.

I followed the crossover upgrade mentioned earlier in this thread and cannot tell you how happy I am with these speakers. Currently hooked up to my TEAC RH500 amp and pumping out some decent bass.

If you ever feel up to it, do try those crossover upgrades (and associated wiring and hardware). It's really worth it and brings these speakers up to snuff more than ever. I'm still using them also, in or bedroom system powered by a recapped Sansui G-7000 receiver.
 
I did the upgrade and you are absolutely correct. When we settle in after out next move (in a week or so) I'll be sure to get a few pictures of the components inside the cabinet.
 
I had forgotten just how good these sound. Using the TEAC A-H500 to drive them and boy oh boy.

I can't find a fault with them and I'm looking. More testing needed of course :)

These have to be the best value speaker ever (after the xover upgrade).
 
This thread reminds me of the biggest "what if" cognitive dissonance I've ever had in Hifi. 1978. Narrowed my speaker purchase to Genesis 2 or Jensen 24. Chose the latter as they were a bit less from my source. Still have the 24's and use them in my tube amp powered man cave (rebuilt), but many times wish I had bought the Genesis 2 as they are probably a better overall speaker.

Enjoy.
 
Back
Top Bottom