• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Genesis Physics Speakers:Model II

Hello

I seen a pair of
Genesis Physics Speakers:
Model 2 in a thrift store by me they need refoamed there asking 25.00 for them the cabs are nice the grills are very good as well just wondering if there worth getting and refoaming them which I can do any input would help
Thanks

I would imagine that this thread and the countless others out there about these speakers would easily answer that question for you. In short, YES!
 
Hello

I seen a pair of
Genesis Physics Speakers:
Model 2 in a thrift store by me they need refoamed there asking 25.00 for them the cabs are nice the grills are very good as well just wondering if there worth getting and refoaming them which I can do any input would help
Thanks
I hope you got those.
 
gensub01.jpg
 
The upgraded crossover Genesis II+ being driven by my Tubelab SE 300B amp; all 7.5watts of it.

I didn't expect it to be anything near as good as it sounds given the low watts but it does a fine job of driving them in the relatively small room.
 

Attachments

  • TSE March 2019.jpg
    TSE March 2019.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 42
The upgraded crossover Genesis II+ being driven by my Tubelab SE 300B amp; all 7.5watts of it.

I didn't expect it to be anything near as good as it sounds given the low watts but it does a fine job of driving them in the relatively small room.

That's awesome. I also own a pair of Genesis 210, which is the same drivers just in a different arrangement, and am quite fond of them.
Do I spy a Teac PD-H500 cd player? That's been my daily driver for the last 15 years, great cd player.
 
That's awesome. I also own a pair of Genesis 210, which is the same drivers just in a different arrangement, and am quite fond of them.
Do I spy a Teac PD-H500 cd player? That's been my daily driver for the last 15 years, great cd player.

I was listening to my Genesis 210's this afternoon . They are powered by a Pioneer SX-1250 . What a sweet speaker !
 
That's awesome. I also own a pair of Genesis 210, which is the same drivers just in a different arrangement, and am quite fond of them.
Do I spy a Teac PD-H500 cd player? That's been my daily driver for the last 15 years, great cd player.

Indeed you do. I have the whole set bar the minidisk player. I'll likely eventually sell the whole set and bring my Sony DVP7000 back into play once I find space for it all :) I do like the TEAC but the sliding front on the Sony gets me every time ;)
 
I'm on the verge of buying a beat up pair of Genesis 2's locally; this post has been amazing inspiration! You all mentioned the upgraded crossover... is that the work documented by Cube Tube earlier in this thread? If so, I had a questiona bout that... the original crossover looked like it had several more parts that what he swapped in... specifically, the original looked like it had one of those rectangular resistors (beige or white in color), and a smaller blue capacitor or something else? Those components seem to missing from his rebuilt/upgraded crossover. Can anyone speak to that? Thanks!
 
I'm on the verge of buying a beat up pair of Genesis 2's locally; this post has been amazing inspiration! You all mentioned the upgraded crossover... is that the work documented by Cube Tube earlier in this thread? If so, I had a questiona bout that... the original crossover looked like it had several more parts that what he swapped in... specifically, the original looked like it had one of those rectangular resistors (beige or white in color), and a smaller blue capacitor or something else? Those components seem to missing from his rebuilt/upgraded crossover. Can anyone speak to that? Thanks!

Welcome to AK.

If the price is low enough, buy them. I paid $45 for mine and I think I got a deal. I would not go overboard on spending money for expensive caps. The Genesis II have a good reputation, but I do not think they warrant extraordinary or expensive efforts.

The crossover by cube-tube in post #107 and #117 looks like the crossover version with two caps. His recap shown in post #119 also includes replacing the inductor with new and removing the resistor, the parallel cap, and the frequency contour switch, which shorts out the resister and cap when the switch is positioned change the contour of the highs. From the pictures of his new crossover, he hardwired the crossover to eliminate the resistor and parallel cap. I suggest not doing that because the lower ESR of new film caps will make the tweeters brighter and it may be desirable to be able to switch in the resistor to tame the tweeters.

I recently acquired a pair of Genesis II, also. I opened mine last night to quickly look at the crossover. There are different versions of the crossover. See http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen2.htm The version I have is a second order for the tweeter (a switched resistor and 10uF cap in series with the tweeter and air-cored coil in parallel). My crossover does not have the cap in parallel with the resistor. I am going to order replacement caps and new foams, so it will be another couple weeks before I have all the parts and get into it.
 
Thanks @RTally ! I'm looking to only pay $15 bucks for mine... but they're in rough shape -- missing grill covers; new foams for both woofers (the passive looks intact); all the dust caps have been pushed in; and based on all of that... I assume the worst about the cabinets, etc, lol. This will definately be a learning project for me :)

So, to make sure i have this straight -- new caps means higher frequencies, so keeping that switch and resistor in place, as they might be a good thing to have in place. Sound right?

I look forward to hearing about your own re-build, when you get to it :)
 
Thanks @RTally ! I'm looking to only pay $15 bucks for mine... but they're in rough shape -- missing grill covers; new foams for both woofers (the passive looks intact); all the dust caps have been pushed in; and based on all of that... I assume the worst about the cabinets, etc, lol. This will definately be a learning project for me :)

So, to make sure i have this straight -- new caps means higher frequencies, so keeping that switch and resistor in place, as they might be a good thing to have in place. Sound right?

I look forward to hearing about your own re-build, when you get to it :)

For $15 I would already have them. I bought mine within 30 minutes of the ad going up.

Chances are, the passive foam is also bad, but it just has not disintegrated yet. Both foams deteriorate at about the same rate. I would replace the foam on both the woofer and passive at the same time. Otherwise you may end replacing the passive foams in a few months after you start playing them hard and the foam goes flying.

Two parameters change as an electrolytic capacitor ages: the capacitance value and the equivalent series resistance (ESR). Changes to the capacitance value impact the crossover point. There is a lot of tolerance with first and second order networks, so the value needs to be way off to have an audible impact. The ESR will increase as an electrolyic cap ages. Increased ESR will attenuate the signal to the driver. Recapping generally results in the tweeter sounding brighter, that is more pronounced because it is not being attenuated.

Keeping the switch with its resistor and parallel cap gives the option of having two frequency response curves. With the switch shorting out the resistor and parallel cap, the FR should be relatively flat. With the resistor and cap in circuit, the FR will change with the lower frequencies from the tweeter being attenuated. The value of the switch is that you can tune the speaker to better match your room and your personal preference.
 
Welcome to AK.

If the price is low enough, buy them. I paid $45 for mine and I think I got a deal. I would not go overboard on spending money for expensive caps. The Genesis II have a good reputation, but I do not think they warrant extraordinary or expensive efforts.
...

On the contrary, in my opinion, these are quite excellent speakers and deserve any effort put into them. I sold my last pair for close to 10 times that amount. Give them quality amplification and you will be rewarded in spades.

I’ve owned the same pair twice. I bought them with the intent on keeping them in my reference system, but I ended up going in a different direction. So I sold them to my daughters friend, and bought them back from her when she merged households with a guy who already had a better system. Later on, I matched them with a Sansui AU-D9, and that was a match made in heaven. Sold them all together.
 
On the contrary, in my opinion, these are quite excellent speakers and deserve any effort put into them. I sold my last pair for close to 10 times that amount. Give them quality amplification and you will be rewarded in spades.

I’ve owned the same pair twice. I bought them with the intent on keeping them in my reference system, but I ended up going in a different direction. So I sold them to my daughters friend, and bought them back from her when she merged households with a guy who already had a better system. Later on, I matched them with a Sansui AU-D9, and that was a match made in heaven. Sold them all together.

That's fantastic to hear! I'm picking them up this week. Frankly, feeling nervous about the repairs -- so many people on here make it look so easy. Even bought a soldering iron, which I've never used before :)

At the moment, I have a kenwood kr-3090 receiver (26 watts per); but I just picked up a Technics SA-404 (50 WPC -- currentlly in the local shop getting cleaned up a bit), and am possibly picking up a Yamaha R500 from the person selling the Genesis II's to me. All decent, but more mid range receivers, IMO (I'm pretty new to this still). Any advice on which of those would pair best with the Genesis? Or just try them all out for myself and see what rings the bell?

I also picked up a pair of KLH Model 20's recently, which I plan to do some restoration on... you can see that I've suddenly fallen into the deep-end of vintage audio equipment.
 
That's fantastic to hear! I'm picking them up this week. Frankly, feeling nervous about the repairs -- so many people on here make it look so easy. Even bought a soldering iron, which I've never used before :)

Great. I suggest practicing some soldering before doing the recap. You can use old speaker wire and practice soldering two pieces together. You can learn how hot the iron should be and how little, but enough, time you need to apply heat to achieve a good solder joint. Be sure to check out pictures of what a good solder joint looks like to ensure you don't have a cold solder joint.
 
Back
Top Bottom