• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Genesis Physics Speakers:Model II

In the 1970s I convinced my parents to buy a stereo system. Our old hifi had expired. I went with my mother to an upscale electronics boutique, and the salesman - who might have been the store owner - suggested the Genesis II's and a receiver (Sansui, if I recall) for our budget. I auditioned them and thought they were pretty darn good, so we bought the setup.

Fast forward to the 2010s. The original receiver had quit and my father picked up a Yamaha receiver, only to find the surrounds on the Genesises had rotted away. He sent them for rebuilding and they came back good as new. I guess my parents only wanted background music by that time, because they had the system in a room with horrible acoustics, on the floor against a wall. Boomiest bass I ever heard.

A couple of years ago my mother died. My father recently had a stroke, and is in a home. My brother took on the job of his finances, and we are slowly unburdening him of a lifetime of mild hoarding. Among the lifetime accumulation of stuff was the speakers and receiver, which my brother offered to me.

Only hours ago I set it all up, with my PC as the source.

Let me tell ya...
Set up for nearfield monitoring, at reasonable volume, with the tweeters at ear level, they sound amazingly smooth, detailed, and seem to have a frequency response of DC to infinity! An exaggeration, to be sure, but these things just blow away so many studio monitors I've auditioned at Guitar Center for soundstage, smoothness, and especially listening fatigue.

I play around with Propellerheads Reason, and still need a proper audio interface in order to record vocals, but I won't need monitors now that I have these!
 
Welcome Race . Sorry about your folks .

The Genesis speaker line has always featured a superior tweeter with an accurate bass .
 
IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG

Picked these up for 30 bucks at a thrift store. Fell in love and embarked on my first reform project. Due to the passive having a flat attach cone edge the first kit I bought I could only do the eights:( then after searching and msging I bought some standard 10s and the id was a bit small. Frustrated and desperate I tried rear attachment and eureka! They stretched up and fit snug. Way snug. PITA to glue but it worked...

Thinking about painting the flat edge green as an homage. Set them up yesterday. They make me happy.
 
I just bought a set of IIs for $65. I need to replace the foam but they came in the originals packaging with manuals.

I did a brief search and found I got a good set of speakers here. Specifically can anyone tell me more?IMG_1050.JPG
 
I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked up a pair of Genesis II's. Refoamed and ready to go. Hooked them up to my AT turntable, and they sound fantastic. Lurking through these forums has been a big help. Thank you to everyone who contributes to these threads!
 
I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked up a pair of Genesis II's. Refoamed and ready to go. Hooked them up to my AT turntable, and they sound fantastic. Lurking through these forums has been a big help. Thank you to everyone who contributes to these threads!
Congrats on the buy. I still use mine everyday on my 2 channel for vinyl listening. They’re great.
 
Nothing quite like powering a pair of Genesis II's with some strong, modded Carver power amps bridged mono. Probably around 800 watts or so. Just put them into the system yesterday morning and have been playing them ever since.

So open, so air, so neutral, so dynamic, so quick, so effortless. Man I love these speakers even more now. I really do think they even best my Martin Logan SL3's and NHT 2.9's. Now that's saying something right there!

p2698822631-5.jpg
 
Nothing quite like powering a pair of Genesis II's with some strong, modded Carver power amps bridged mono. Probably around 800 watts or so. Just put them into the system yesterday morning and have been playing them ever since.

So open, so air, so neutral, so dynamic, so quick, so effortless. Man I love these speakers even more now. I really do think they even best my Martin Logan SL3's and NHT 2.9's. Now that's saying something right there!

p2698822631-5.jpg
That is a beautiful system . I currently have my 210's idle because JBL 112's found their way here . I need to get them back into the rotation .
 
That is a beautiful system . I currently have my 210's idle because JBL 112's found their way here . I need to get them back into the rotation .

Thank you! I used to have a pair of L112's many moons ago. From what I remember, I would be willing to say that even though the L112's sound great and can suck up power and slam out some major SPL, the Genesis II's and/or your 210's are probably more natural, refined and extend deeper. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if I had a pair of L112's sitting here again in front of me. That's for sure.
 
Thank you! I used to have a pair of L112's many moons ago. From what I remember, I would be willing to say that even though the L112's sound great and can suck up power and slam out some major SPL, the Genesis II's and/or your 210's are probably more natural, refined and extend deeper. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if I had a pair of L112's sitting here again in front of me. That's for sure.
QFT
 
Funny. I just picked up a pair of L112’s in need of foam. Was wondering if they could hold up to the G2’s. Tough act to follow.

Was wondering though. Did anyone else have 2’s where the passive radiator cone edge was flat where it attaches to the foam instead of angled or “scalloped”? I know they’re original because there was still that sweet green foam on them when I got them. They also have the Masonite tweets.

I’ll second that on your system as well. Very nice Cube-Tube.
 
Funny. I just picked up a pair of L112’s in need of foam. Was wondering if they could hold up to the G2’s. Tough act to follow.

Was wondering though. Did anyone else have 2’s where the passive radiator cone edge was flat where it attaches to the foam instead of angled or “scalloped”? I know they’re original because there was still that sweet green foam on them when I got them. They also have the Masonite tweets.

I’ll second that on your system as well. Very nice Cube-Tube.

Thank you.

The L112's will certainly "hang" with the G2's, no problem. Though the two will sound very different I think. Probably better definition and clarity in the midrange, smoother and more delicate top end, and most certainly better bass extension with the G2's. As for sheer output, the L112's all day.

And I can't answer about the original green foam as mine were already re-foamed before I got them. Personally, I'm glad they have normal gray surrounds. I never cared for that green. Kind of like the red on Cerwin Vega's. Just give me normal gray or black and I'm happy.
 
Hello

I seen a pair of
Genesis Physics Speakers:
Model 2 in a thrift store by me they need refoamed there asking 25.00 for them the cabs are nice the grills are very good as well just wondering if there worth getting and refoaming them which I can do any input would help

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom