• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

greatest rock frontman ever.

getright99

least likely to succeed
wondering your thoughts on this one. it should be a pretty short thread. here's my 2 cents.
axl rose :rockon:
 
Register to hide this ad
I would have to say Mick Jagger of the Stones from 1962-1981, when the Stones were at their best
but for a brief time 1967-1970, I think Jim Morrison was definitely the best frontman.
 
Lotsa great choices but I would have to agree that Jim Morrison had a helluva lot going for him - except sobriety - and I will pick him as best.

And equally valid cases can be made for, among others: Dylan, John Lennon, Neil Young, Janis Joplin, Roger Daltry, Ray Davies, Albert Lee, Grace Slick, Sly Stone, Jagger, Iggy Pop, (name your favorite right here ).
 
Even though I'm not a huge Stones fan,No one has come close to the longevity of Jagger.If anyone would have told me he would still be doing sold out shows after over 40 years I would have thought they were nuts.
 
Mainstream: already covered.

Throw in some sub categories for grins...

Older Rock: Bo Diddley? Chuck Berry? a few others come to mind...

Somewhat Obscure: My personal fav would be Lowell George of Little Feat.
Not for the stage theatrics but for the kewl funky sound. He had
no stage theatrics. He was too stoned.

Funk: Sly Stone. I really do want to thank you for letting me be myself.
Again.

Rap: No clue. Don't listen to it.
 
Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, and Queen's latest tour)

Saw him many years ago with Bad Co. and he was the first singer for a rock band that I actually enjoyed the singing mor than the band.:yes:
 
i'm with e2ewhatever...this is an absolute no brainer. jagger, morrison in a tossup, except for jagger's longevity-- but they are both the incarnation of 'rock star'
 
In my mind, it'd have to be a 2 way tie between Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant. Mercury, Jagger, Morrison et al are all in the top 10 though.
 
Peter Gabriel from Genesis.
 

Attachments

  • Peter Gabriel 1.jpg
    Peter Gabriel 1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Peter Gabriel 2.jpg
    Peter Gabriel 2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 53
Of all the singers I've seen live, I'd second David Lee Roth. Not a great singer, but very good stage presence. If we abandon pure rock I'd go for Prince.
Never seen Morrisson, Jagger or Hendrix live, otherwise I'd probably would have picked one of them.
 
Many great ones have been covered already, but I nominate two: the late, great Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy and the late Bon Scott of AC/DC. Both guys had charisma and talent coming out the wazoo. And both were taken from us WAY too soon. :tears:
 
The best I've ever seen live was Ian Anderson, next would be Phil Collins and Mick Jagger. Reverend Billy G. (Gibbons) is great as well.
 
Gabriel, for sure.

Peter Gabriel Genesis era. No rock pomp, just incredible creativity and narration. A true artist. Morrison is up there but way to inconsistent. The drugs/booze did not always help the performance.
 
Don't forget The Firm

Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, and Queen's latest tour)

Saw him many years ago with Bad Co. and he was the first singer for a rock band that I actually enjoyed the singing mor than the band.:yes:

I second Paul Rodgers,the guy has stage presence and can sing like a Mfer. Saw him on The HeartBreaker Tour with Free and recently at The Key Club at Morongo casino. He's still got it.
 
Back
Top Bottom