• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting Noise Poll

System Noise Poll

  • I hear nothing, virtually complete silence

    Votes: 62 50.4%
  • I hear some low level hiss

    Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I hear some fairly loud hiss

    Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I hear some low level hum

    Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I hear some fairly loud hum

    Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I hear lots of various noise, ie: hum & hiss etc.

    Votes: 3 2.4%

  • Total voters
    123
With the CD player input. Nothing all the way up to 100 on the C220. With Stock tubes. With the LP12 with stock tubes easily 20. With Tele's easily 44.
 
I do get some crosstalk from my tuner if set to the next position on my pre over, AUX.

forzaroma, my 1959 electrohomes(KT66 toob-amps) exhibit 0 noise at full volume with my fairly efficient Tannoy Golds, these are kiLLer amps! :thmbsp:
 
What would you guys do if a plane flew over and phono section picked it up, Or if %^*& happened at the moment you were at full tilt? I would hate reading about it not to mention hearing loss that would result.

Do you really think this is a safe thing to do?

Robert
 
I can hear hiss from the tweeter from about 6 inches away from my ear. I would imagine that there is hiss in the midrange and woofer also. I have never been able to get rid of it.
 
I can hear a hiss about a 4 feet away when im at max volume on CD.

I would love to hear some comments on how to eliminate or lower the noise floor on my system.
 
In Audio mode, dead silence here. . . .

When in home theater mode, I can hear the plasma TV "buzz," and the DirecTV tuner (hard drive).
 
I can hear a hiss about a 4 feet away when im at max volume on CD.

I would love to hear some comments on how to eliminate or lower the noise floor on my system.

Here in no special order are some tips:

Dedicated AC lines

PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Upgraded Power Cords (shielded for noise isolation)

RGPC & Pole Pig units (lowers noise floor & isolation)

Bybee Quantum Filters (both interconnect & speaker)
 
Thx Masterlu, as always much appreciated. Any special way to route all the cables (eg...IC's and speaker cables far as possible from PC's etc...)

Thx
Peter
 
Excuse my ignorance, but honestly what difference does lowering the noise floor make when one listens at normal levels (75-85db)? I don't think anyone would hear the background hissing or humming over music playing.
 
if i press my ear up against the ring radiator tweeter i can hear a faint hum with the vol at 100 on CD. 1 ft away - complete silence. I do hear some noise from teh phono section, but not that much.

Anyone witha modern mc equip should have the same experience if they are set up right
 
In stereo mode (MX134, MC402, and MC206 shut down) I hear a slight, negligible hiss. In theater mode with everything on I hear a significant hum. This has longed bugged me, particularly since movies have far more quiet moments than music does. Oh well.
 
Here in no special order are some tips:

Dedicated AC lines

PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Upgraded Power Cords (shielded for noise isolation)

RGPC & Pole Pig units (lowers noise floor & isolation)

Bybee Quantum Filters (both interconnect & speaker)

Ivan, how should these be set-up?
 
Excuse my ignorance, but honestly what difference does lowering the noise floor make when one listens at normal levels (75-85db)? I don't think anyone would hear the background hissing or humming over music playing.

On many pieces of music and also between tracks there will be silence. Hearing hiss when there should be silence can be distracting and the impact of the next note may be lessened imo.

I tried it last night. I have a very quiet buzzing from both speakers (which I have been unable to get rid of audible about one inch from the speaker).

Apart from that it is silent at 100% gain. The buzz is not gain dependent anyway. I am guessing there is some noise on the line. My sources and preamp are on a dedicated line but the power amp shares the line with about 12 lights about half of which use energy saving switch mode power supply noise polluting crappy colour bulbs! :D
 
Okay, mine must be the worst!
I hear hiss, hum and FM radio bleed through on CD1. (c46, MR85, 501's)
WTF...

Nothing on CD2, but low hum and hiss, at 100% volume.
(Which is now my benchmark of perfection ...considering CD1.)

Ignorance was bliss.
 
Ivan, how should these be set-up?

Dedicated lines are self explanatory.

I have one PS Audio Noise Harvester plugged into each RGPC unit.

Upgraded Power cords, once again are self explanatory.

RGPC units can be configured a number of ways depending on your gear, give Dick McCarthy a call & get his input. He fields just about every call.

Bybee Quantum Filters are well known & expensive. I know they work and employ many of them. I have them on my speaker lines off each Amp, I also use their RCA & XLR Filters on my IC's.
 
On many pieces of music and also between tracks there will be silence. Hearing hiss when there should be silence can be distracting and the impact of the next note may be lessened imo.

I tried it last night. I have a very quiet buzzing from both speakers (which I have been unable to get rid of audible about one inch from the speaker).

Apart from that it is silent at 100% gain. The buzz is not gain dependent anyway. I am guessing there is some noise on the line. My sources and preamp are on a dedicated line but the power amp shares the line with about 12 lights about half of which use energy saving switch mode power supply noise polluting crappy colour bulbs! :D

Howie, try lifting the grounds on your Amps.
 
Okay, mine must be the worst!
I hear hiss, hum and FM radio bleed through on CD1. (c46, MR85, 501's)
WTF...

Nothing on CD2, but low hum and hiss, at 100% volume.
(Which is now my benchmark of perfection ...considering CD1.)

Ignorance was bliss.

Well; we're gonna have to work on that. :yes:
 
Here in no special order are some tips:

Dedicated AC lines

PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Upgraded Power Cords (shielded for noise isolation)

RGPC & Pole Pig units (lowers noise floor & isolation)

Bybee Quantum Filters (both interconnect & speaker)


Well, hats off to you, Ivan for helping others in this regard.:thmbsp::thmbsp:

I don't believe Jack makes the Bybee Quantum Filters any more -- he's onto more TOP SECRET stuff in concert with, I believe Dale Pitcher of Intuitive Design. I happened to speak with Dale today regarding receipt of my final pair of interconnects from him & which are signed by Jack Bybee, Each sealed metal canister contains carbon nano tubes (CNT) which is then encased in wood (see photos). I'm not sure if these are single-walled or multi-walled (SWCNT or MWCNT).

Why do I mention it -- two reasons. I believe I have put 2+2 together to come up with what Jack is doing inlieu of the quantum filters -- carbon nano tubes, which are 10,000 times smaller than a human hair. Supposidly each cannister contains 60K nano tubes & the rest is TOP SECRET -- no one will elaborate. Secondly, is this the secret in Jack's super expensive ($4.2K) speaker bullets and $1K speaker tails?? I'd be willing to bet on the above.

CNT's are harvested in labs & are great conductors of electical components. So much so, that they conduct electricity 10 times more than common copper. On a side note, NASA has paid Rice University $11 Million to develope a 1 meter power cable from CNT's (prototype is due by 2010).

Thanks for mentioning the Byee products -- my light went off.:D:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • New Setup 021108 002.JPG
    New Setup 021108 002.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Chimera Nano Tube Blocks 002.JPG
    Chimera Nano Tube Blocks 002.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom