• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting Noise Poll

System Noise Poll

  • I hear nothing, virtually complete silence

    Votes: 62 50.4%
  • I hear some low level hiss

    Votes: 42 34.1%
  • I hear some fairly loud hiss

    Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I hear some low level hum

    Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I hear some fairly loud hum

    Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I hear lots of various noise, ie: hum & hiss etc.

    Votes: 3 2.4%

  • Total voters
    123
I have pretty loud hum coming from my speakers :sigh: I can hear the hum at my listening position, which is about 12 feet away.
It goes away when either the pre or power amp is turned off. This hum developed after I changed from an Arcam receiver to Luxman separates. SQ on the Luxman is a lot better, but I find the hum annoying.
 
I have pretty loud hum coming from my speakers :sigh: I can hear the hum at my listening position, which is about 12 feet away.
It goes away when either the pre or power amp is turned off. This hum developed after I changed from an Arcam receiver to Luxman separates. SQ on the Luxman is a lot better, but I find the hum annoying.

Ground loop?
 
Howie, try lifting the grounds on your Amps.

Tried everything before. Guess its something inherent in my Mc2000 since the buzzing is there with or without a preamp. Anyhow I'm not bothered anymore. Was just worried it was a sign of other problems but apparently not.







Touch wood.
 
Tried everything before. Guess its something inherent in my Mc2000 since the buzzing is there with or without a preamp. Anyhow I'm not bothered anymore. Was just worried it was a sign of other problems but apparently not.

Touch wood.

Have your dealer swap it out. I would not tolerate it. :no:
 
Dedicated lines

I was just wondering about this, I don't have a system that eats tons of power, but what ways does it affect the music?

Is this something I could run the wire to and fro and have the electrician hook up to the power box ? As opposed to everything else, is this the easiest thing to do or the most cost effective?

Is there a price range this usually stays in?

just in case I pick up a pair of 501's...:rolleyes:
 
Dedicated lines

I was just wondering about this, I don't have a system that eats tons of power, but what ways does it affect the music?

Is this something I could run the wire to and fro and have the electrician hook up to the power box ? As opposed to everything else, is this the easiest thing to do or the most cost effective?

Is there a price range this usually stays in?

just in case I pick up a pair of 501's...:rolleyes:

Given the quality of your system (both components and cables) I think that a dedicated line would be a great first step. I paid $600 (labor and equipment) for my dedicated line set-up. Make sure you find an electrician who knows what dedicated lines for audiophiles are all about. I found my guy on Audiogon.
 
Dedicated lines

I was just wondering about this, I don't have a system that eats tons of power, but what ways does it affect the music?

Is this something I could run the wire to and fro and have the electrician hook up to the power box ? As opposed to everything else, is this the easiest thing to do or the most cost effective?

Is there a price range this usually stays in?

just in case I pick up a pair of 501's...:rolleyes:


A dedicated line is very important (imho) it helps isolate your gear while at the same time gives you the full current available from the breaker.

I would let the electrician do the whole job since it is inexpensive. Tip: put in a few while your doing it. There is nothing worse than running a dedicated line or two, then later wishing you had more. You know "Future Upgrades" just in case. ;)
 
I had a hum in my system when I was temporarily connecting my MX-135 to a MC-207 using a DB25 cable. Once I got enough balanced XLR cables to connect the two, the hum was gone. Now I hear nothing. While waiting for the balanced cables, I ran a dedicated circuit and started using a RGPC 400 (that a friend gave me) to ensure the greatest line quality available.
 
I had a hum in my system when I was temporarily connecting my MX-135 to a MC-207 using a DB25 cable. Once I got enough balanced XLR cables to connect the two, the hum was gone. Now I hear nothing. While waiting for the balanced cables, I ran a dedicated circuit and started using a RGPC 400 (that a friend gave me) to ensure the greatest line quality available.

Good Move! :thmbsp:
 
With my new Minimax preamp I have some hum,just a little.
With the Accuphase preamp, I hear no noise at all.

No matter, the both offer something different sonically,I'm liking my new Minimax, it brings things out my Accuphase did not.:thmbsp:
 
With my JBL studio monitors, two 2205’s on dedicated circuits, a C29, active crossover & CD player, the volume set at my customary “loud”, (about 95dB at loud passages) the system is dead silent from my listening position with all noise makers off, including under-counter refrig, all fluorescent lights and the A/C system.
At 6” from the tweeter I can hear low level hiss, just barely audible.

Vahe
 
Here in no special order are some tips:

Dedicated AC lines

PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Upgraded Power Cords (shielded for noise isolation)

RGPC & Pole Pig units (lowers noise floor & isolation)

Bybee Quantum Filters (both interconnect & speaker)

Took Masterlu suggestion and drove over to PS Audio in Boulder and picked up the 5 pack of PS Audio Noise Harvesters (NH). A guy jeff helped me and they had them in either white/black comes with a 30 day guarantee.

Came home, picked one song from my favorite SACD's and listened to it a few times and then plugged in one of the NH and there was a considerable difference. In an earlier post on this board, I talked about a having a bass problem with the McIntosh XRT22 being driven by a McIntosh 402. The problems I was having was trying to pick out the Bass lines from the drum kicks, or sort of muddy sound down in very low frequencies. Put in one NH and the bass didn't sound the same. Cleared up the muddiness down in the lower range and the whole presentation of the music changed. The guitar was a lot more in front instead of the bass. The bass no longer overpowered the upper range. The bass was a lot quieter and it was if the speaker could actually play the sound of the bass note with distinction from the drum kick.

I asked Jeff at PS audio and he said to place the NH on the actual AC outlets not on the RGPG for best results, but I did anyway and there was a big difference. Jeff said it is good to put one on your computer too. Anyway spread all 5 on various outlets and RGP units and the sound changed more. Seemed like the background is deeper, seems like your ACTUALLY listened to the actual sound of the recordings. Hearing drum brush strokes, light cymbals taps and so on. The whole presentation of the music is different.

These are my first impressions after listening to the new changes and want to thank Masterlu for the recommendations. I first purchased RG products after being convinced reading a post of his and now the NH.

Thanks.
Wish I could come to the party!
 
Took Masterlu suggestion and drove over to PS Audio in Boulder and picked up the 5 pack of PS Audio Noise Harvesters (NH). A guy jeff helped me and they had them in either white/black comes with a 30 day guarantee.

Came home, picked one song from my favorite SACD's and listened to it a few times and then plugged in one of the NH and there was a considerable difference. In an earlier post on this board, I talked about a having a bass problem with the McIntosh XRT22 being driven by a McIntosh 402. The problems I was having was trying to pick out the Bass lines from the drum kicks, or sort of muddy sound down in very low frequencies. Put in one NH and the bass didn't sound the same. Cleared up the muddiness down in the lower range and the whole presentation of the music changed. The guitar was a lot more in front instead of the bass. The bass no longer overpowered the upper range. The bass was a lot quieter and it was if the speaker could actually play the sound of the bass note with distinction from the drum kick.

I asked Jeff at PS audio and he said to place the NH on the actual AC outlets not on the RGPG for best results, but I did anyway and there was a big difference. Jeff said it is good to put one on your computer too. Anyway spread all 5 on various outlets and RGP units and the sound changed more. Seemed like the background is deeper, seems like your ACTUALLY listened to the actual sound of the recordings. Hearing drum brush strokes, light cymbals taps and so on. The whole presentation of the music is different.

These are my first impressions after listening to the new changes and want to thank Masterlu for the recommendations. I first purchased RG products after being convinced reading a post of his and now the NH.

Thanks.
Wish I could come to the party!



Hey, thats great! Always makes my day when I can improve someone's System here on AK! :thmbsp:
 
For CD I hear nothing, for LP I hear quite a bit of noise but it's impossible to tell until the volume is at 50% and usually it's only about 15% :P
 
So far 47% of those that voted have some sort of noise coming from their System.

Time to tweak the bugs...
 
Took Masterlu suggestion and drove over to PS Audio in Boulder and picked up the 5 pack of PS Audio Noise Harvesters (NH). A guy jeff helped me and they had them in either white/black comes with a 30 day guarantee.

Came home, picked one song from my favorite SACD's and listened to it a few times and then plugged in one of the NH and there was a considerable difference. In an earlier post on this board, I talked about a having a bass problem with the McIntosh XRT22 being driven by a McIntosh 402. The problems I was having was trying to pick out the Bass lines from the drum kicks, or sort of muddy sound down in very low frequencies. Put in one NH and the bass didn't sound the same. Cleared up the muddiness down in the lower range and the whole presentation of the music changed. The guitar was a lot more in front instead of the bass. The bass no longer overpowered the upper range. The bass was a lot quieter and it was if the speaker could actually play the sound of the bass note with distinction from the drum kick.

I asked Jeff at PS audio and he said to place the NH on the actual AC outlets not on the RGPG for best results, but I did anyway and there was a big difference. Jeff said it is good to put one on your computer too. Anyway spread all 5 on various outlets and RGP units and the sound changed more. Seemed like the background is deeper, seems like your ACTUALLY listened to the actual sound of the recordings. Hearing drum brush strokes, light cymbals taps and so on. The whole presentation of the music is different.

These are my first impressions after listening to the new changes and want to thank Masterlu for the recommendations. I first purchased RG products after being convinced reading a post of his and now the NH.

Thanks.
Wish I could come to the party!

Great to hear that these worked out well for you. I ordered 5 noise harvesters earlier today before I read your message (also based on this thread - thanks Masterlu!), so I am expecting similar improvements and will report back when I receive them and get them installed.

I believe my biggest issue is RF noise, which I think is coming from either my Mc AM antenna that I have plugged into my MX119, or my OTA/FM antenna that I have turned on and sitting on my roof. I also have my Dish DVR that might be picking up some noise. I will be working on trying to isolate this in the near future so I would appreciate hearing ideas or experiences from all of you on how to address this. :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom