Oh, I didn't mean only Chinese-made tubes. Russian, US, and European output tubes can glow, too.Well I can tell you they are not china made tubes
I’m cool with the blue, it’s the red I dislike lol
Blue glow off Russian 6L6GC tubes.
Oh, I didn't mean only Chinese-made tubes. Russian, US, and European output tubes can glow, too.Well I can tell you they are not china made tubes
I’m cool with the blue, it’s the red I dislike lol
Yup. My son panicked when he saw the blue glow of the new RussianOh, I didn't mean only Chinese-made tubes. Russian, US, and European output tubes can glow, too.
![]()
Blue glow off Russian 6L6GC tubes.
such magic within that blue glow...
So sweet!Bottlehead S.E.X. amp that I built. 2 watts, 6DN7 tubes.
![]()
![]()
![]()
Absolutely no noise whatesoever fully cranked save for a barely detectable trace of hum. Not sure where that's coming from.So sweet!
What is the baseline noise level like?
Hvala vam!
Very good! Ever measure the mVAC riding on top of the B+ of the power supply?Absolutely no noise whatesoever fully cranked save for a barely detectable trace of hum. Not sure where that's coming from.
No, never tried that. But the same hum is there whether the knob is on 0 or if it's on 11.Very good! Ever measure the mVAC riding on top of the B+ of the power supply?
You need less than 10mVAC to have a silent background (using headphones at full volume to monitor). Tubes have a higher shot noise which is impossible to eliminate.
Sounds good! Indeed, there is a lot of filtering for a headphone amp.No, never tried that. But the same hum is there whether the knob is on 0 or if it's on 11.
My best guess is it's the tubes but like I said it's barely detectable so I never tried to track it down.
Otherwise, dead silent.![]()
Sounds good! Indeed, there is a lot of filtering for a headphone amp.![]()

Cameras will also exaggerate the blue as well. I have tubes that show some blue but the pictures make it look like I could read by them lol.My KT-88's and 6CA7's have aome glow, but none of the 6v6's I've never had glowed like that though.
What are your thoughts on the Oldchen?
What are your thoughts on the Oldchen?

What model Pilot amp is this?
Is the "regret" price less than the current price? In other words, has the amp appreciated?I expressed regret unloading an SE10 amp I built two decades ago.
During a recent visit to my friends at VAS Audio to pick up a couple of refurbished MC phono cartridges, I was surprised to see the very same amplifier.![]()
Soon after I unloaded the amp, Tango/Hirata went out of business. AFAIK, that particular OPT was never revived by ISO.Is the "regret" price less than the current price? In other words, has the amp appreciated?